Universal Midnight Star (By Industrial Toys)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by redribbon, Jul 2, 2014.

1. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    #181 amusing Grace, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    You only get better if you try.
    Besides, i'm not that good and only use an upgraded Kamir. I think you get credits depending how you place in the end, so just trying will net you something.

Just continue campaign and keep an eye on achievement requirements, easily nets you enough credits for an upgraded Kamir.

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Curious. Is there anything in the Starter Pack that's restorable? i.e. a permanent purchase.

3. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I don't believe so however you can use the premium currency to buy the permanent double EXP item. That one is probably the best thing you can buy that won't disappear.

4. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    I totally cannot find the "Beat a Dev" challenge. Did it fill up? Is that why I can't find it in the high score game listings?

5. amusing Grace

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    #185 amusing Grace, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    I don't know if it filled up already, but send you an invite for it anyway.
    Good job on the TA challenge! :)

EDIT: beat a dev seems to be filled up.

6. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Oh thanks anyhow! I guess I was too used to the beta when things were always open. Now we have to fight for them. I hope you win there :)

7. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    We're going to do multiple brackets for those in the future-- I just needed to see how quickly it filled up (and it filled up in like 20 minutes).

If you haven't already, you should sign up for Liftoff, our 1st big tourney, open to everyone.

8. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Jailbreak Fix Applied in Latest Update

Hey guys that were following along with the jb devices conversation-- wanted to let you know that Apple just approved our fix, and you should be able to get in without issue after you grab the Update.

Keep an eye out for the update, will be Version 1.0.49464! Couple other minor issues in there, too.

9. MasterEx

MasterEx Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Nice great to hear nobody is getting left out on the fun with the jb issue and the new challange event seems like alot of fun kudos to you guys im enjoying my time in the game so far Looking forward to see more

10. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    Hello,
    Just to be clear, are you going to remove the jb protection? Because if you do, i'll check your game! (Sorry if i'm wrong, sometimes i don't understand everything, english is not my mother language).

11. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Sorry for the double post, I think it got buried..

12. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Great news. Though I would just keep an eye on scores and such to see if there's any big spikes in hacking. Just to be safe. Mainly for challenges since that's probably the only reason you'd want to hack.

Also had a couple questions. For challenge antes, how are the winnings spread? Does it all go to first place? Second and third get nothing?

And for refilling equipment energy, wouldn't it make more sense to just have one "refill all" button. I noticed the game lets you refill individually however there's no point in that since you can't play a mission unless all the energy is refilled. So refilling one at a time just seems to make it more time consuming?

13. amusing Grace

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    The energy system makes more sense once you have more weapons to choose and to switch to. Then you play with one weapon while the other recharges. My guess is there will be more stuff available later through updates.

14. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes if you reinstall and sign in, you'll get your progress back. If that doesn't help, will you send me a PM with the exact repro steps? I want to get to the bottom of it by that's one we haven't encountered before...

15. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's sort of buried, but if you're in the Joplin and you swipe down on your load out, you'll get a recharge all button!

And yes on hacking- we've already caught a few!

16. MasterEx

MasterEx Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Anyone notice iphone 6 getting really hot when u start it i play frequently and hefty games but it really gets hot with this game and even tried restarting closing everything off but it really goes for the cpu i know its a big game but is there something to avoid this kind of overheating id understand it on older devices but on recent one this shouldnt be an issue just bringing it out there

17. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #197 Rip73, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    Ah, it is always great to have a developer who listens and takes stuff on board, well done.

While I wasn't personally concerned or swayed by the JB protection, obviously enough from earlier in the thread, I hope those that were will now give the game the chance it deserves and download and check it out.

It should be clear that they do actually give a damn at Industrial and have long term plans to support the game and the players of the game as they were willing to take this step just for you guys.
    I'm pretty sure it will end up being a lot more work for them in watching the leaderboards so they are taking a risk.
    Supporting it and them would only be fair.

Either way, I think most will be very pleasantly surprised with the game and entertained a lot.
    I hear they have a lot more planned for it as well so over the long term it will only get even better.

Good job Wzrd and Industrial. I know I said it already but, you know, it's worth saying it again when devs listen. Cheers guys.

18. JubJubBird

JubJubBird Active Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Wonderful game. I think the debate needs to stop being about f2p vs premium and more about fair vs. unfair. This is a humane, responsive, fun implementation of IAP that gives a solid sense of progression regardless of what you spend. Thanks.

And as for the gameplay, this is a very successful "fps" (really more rooted in the light gun genre) for mobile. It took me a while to understand targeting (felt annoying at first), but once it clicked I started getting a great sense of flow. The system makes all the different weapons feel cool and unique as well, though I still don't see any use for the first pistol :).

If someone starts another TouchArcade tournament, please add me: Lux. Anyone is welcome to follow me.

19. hincy89

hincy89 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2011
    Just got the update, love the game! Went ahead and got the starter pack. cheers for the quick update.

20. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Alrighty, just reinstalled and it seems to be working! All my progress is there and I can finally swipe between weapons.

If it happens again I'll PM you! Thanks!