Midnight Star [Unreal Engine/Shooter] by Industrial Toys

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by defred34, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    To be honest any game can be hardcore. That however completely depends on how the player plays the game. Hell, even games like snake are hardcore for me. Different people have different opinions though, so your argument that on-rails shooters are hardcore has no weight... I believe you, but I never liked on-rail games. They're just too guided, there's no exploration, no tactics, it's just too easy. Maybe I've been playing wrong on-rail games whole my life though.

2. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Agree with this as well as nodoctors' comments. We've been admittedly mysterious about the game mechanics so far, but that's just cuz we're planning on coming out with a bunch of stuff in the months ramping up to launch (which is these next few months). I think you'll be pleased by the depth in the game, and the conclusions some of you guys have come to from seeing the trailer and the documentary stuff has been really interesting. Again, you will have to judge for yourself whether the game has the kinds of things you really like, but we're trying to make something that feels just right on mobile-- we'll see if we succeed. It's F2P, so you can at least take a look without any risk.

Balancing our single player story campaign with our asynchronous multiplayer system has been an interesting challenge. Which of these gets you more excited about a shooter (besides the core mechanics and whether they're fun)?

3. Crude

Crude Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Any news on this?

4. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    (Dev here)

Yes-- next week, we'll be sharing some preview stuff for Morning Star Alpha, our graphic novel experience that we're publishing in a separate app from the game. It's written by John Scalzi (in case you're a sci-fi fan), illustrated by Mike Choi (of Marvel/DC fame) and has all sorts of interaction with the game itself. I'll post the links here when it comes out-- should be Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

5. Wikilix

Wikilix Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    OC, MD
    Sounds like the game will have a pretty decent storyline to progress the gameplay. iOS needs more sorry driven FPS, there's little to none on the AppStore.

6. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hoping so! You can see a little bit of what we doing in Scalzi's post when we announced it. Next week's preview (of the graphic novel app) will have a walkthrough and images and whatnot.

7. Kozio235

Kozio235 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Seems like a mix of Conduit, Halo, and Nova all in one game.

8. Crude

Crude Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Can't wait.

9. sicksilvo

sicksilvo Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Morning Star Alpha - Sneak Peek

10. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    ah, you beat me to it (/tips hat to sicksilvo).

Here's a post I put up today with some more details, and there are some articles popping up about it here and there...

11. sicksilvo

Jul 4, 2012
    #71 sicksilvo, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
    June Newsletter & First Gun

[​IMG]

Thought there was some interesting stuff about game on devs website, so I just copied here.

12. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Pistol looks great!! It's got a bladerunner heaviness going for it.
    Interested in what sfx you guys go for with the guns. One of the things I love with scifi shooters is the slick sounding weapons. The Magsec pistols from the 1st Perfect Dark sounded incredible

13. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for saying that-- I'm going to release a few more of the guns in the next couple of weeks- they're looking pretty sweet, and we're anxious to get some feedback.

Also, in case any of you guys are comic fans or John Scalzi fans, we posted a demo walkthrough of the OTHER app we're launching with Morning Star. It's called Morning Star Alpha (but it's not an Alpha), and it's an app-based graphic novel with some interesting choices to make that carry over into the game for Players.

It's on YouTube here.

14. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    It's very heartening to see a game with such a deep story, complete with a companion app that helps tell it. Are you still polishing the product and looking down the road for a Q4 release, or is there a chance we'll get a Q3 surprise?

15. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Appreciate that-- we're pretty excited about both of the pieces, and we wanted players who want all the story goodness to have a place to explore that outside of the game (cuz we know some players are just gonna want to shoot stuff, and that's ok).

To your question, we're headed toward Beta (just published a game dev update here), so the honest answer is it depends. Once we have a Beta build, we'll test on friends and family and a few people that sign up on the website, then we'll do a soft launch in a non-US country to see how things go. Based on gameplay tweaking and polishing, we'll then do the real thing, but we won't know for a bit. So I'd count on the former, not the latter ;)

16. sicksilvo

Jul 4, 2012
    #76 sicksilvo, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    From Industrialtoys website

[​IMG]

That’ll Leave A Mark

by Tim on September 3, 2013

"It starts off with only one rocket, but we’ve been calling it “Fire-N-Forget” for a reason. Here’s a sneak peak of the in-game model for the base rocket launcher that players will use to obliterate bad guys– sometimes from what seems like miles away.

It has all the things you’d expect, high damage, slow reload, area-effects– and like the pistol we featured first, it levels up. By the time players have this beast fully optimized, it shoots 3 rockets in somewhat rapid succession, blows up tons of enemies and leaves a smoking crater of regret."

[​IMG]
    Full resolution picture

Beta Info Inside​

17. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    #77 thewzrd, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    You beat me to the punch again, Sicksilvo (but thanks!). Today, we put out another documentary-style video about production. This one's focused on gameplay, and you guys shouldn't beat me up about the graphics until the next couple of posts-- this stuff was filmed back in 2012 ;). The game is looking sweet these days, and I'll be posting stuff beyond guns very soon...

Morning Star Doc - Epi 5

18. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Rebranded to Midnight Star and some of the first gameplay screenshots :)

19. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I posted some info on our blog as well-- here. Check out the preview, cuz I'd like to get some feedback if you read about the controls. Now that we're public with all of that, I can get into detail...

20. JetLinerSaw

JetLinerSaw Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Woah just saw this.. What's the release frame?? It looks amazing!