Universal Midway Arcade - (by Warner Bros.) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    well im damn well impressed with this purchase.

unlimited play, classic games, sensibly priced iap, free roam controls, fixed or tilt, landscape or horizontal, excellent presentation, game centre ..

am sure theres a bug or 2 somewhere but this is how ya do it devs.

tip ma hat to midway, hope this sells well for you.

2. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    The free roam in the arcade looked very good to me. Way cool!

So...how do Joust, Defender and Spy Hunter control?

3. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

This is...impressive. I've not bought the extra packs yet, but after having spent an hour or so just browsing the included games and having a quick go on each I feel like I have gotten more than a buck's worth already.

While the overall quality and the controls do vary from title to title, there's not a dud among the lot (with the exception of air hockey, and in particular, pool.) The overall presentation is very good, the technical aspects (with regard to iDevices) appear to clearly have been implemented thoughtfully.

Overall, a surprise and a bargain.

4. Dopedtoinfinity

Nov 24, 2010
    After impulse-purchasing both extra game packs, i tried Defender & Spy Hunter. I admit I only spent a couple of minutes with each game but after trying out the controls i rage-quitted.

Defender had me missing really easy shots with the touchpad, and Spy Hunter had me crashing into the scenery with tilt controls and touchpad.

I realise I haven't spent long with either game, but as a veteran of both you would hope my hours of arcade and mame training would have counted for something. :mad:

5. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth

Welcome to the world of touch gaming my friend. ;).

How are the regular button & steering controls for Spyhunter?

6. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010

@.@ welcome to ta

(jk) Thanks for the thought out review. Arigato gozaimashita!

7. Dopedtoinfinity

Nov 24, 2010
    Game Impressions

Bloody Awful, tried default tilt, and the onscreen joystick and the both sucked.

I know touchscreen gaming isn't as good as physical controls, but I have a jailbroken ipad & 3gs and if imame4all (seluco) can get it right for free then this just seems like a cash-in by WB.

8. sharpener

sharpener Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Musician
    Kowloon, Hong Kong
    Thanks Sanuku. hopefully in upcoming updates they will add more games such as Mortal Kombat 1-3 and Sinistar.

9. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    great game well worth the price, no smash tv tho? maybe in an update?

10. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth

Is this the actual port of the original arcade version of Spyhunter?...

11. Mormoop

Mormoop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    I would agree with you completely if that was almost any other game.

Except... These are simple 30 year old games and the whole lot of them could probably fit on a single floppy disk. There's really no reason a 100K arcade game from 1982 should choke on a first generation iphone. So I just think you picked the wrong thread to vent here...

12. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Crashes on startup, ipod 3g not jailbroken. I can play infinity blade, so kinda sad to see that 20 year old games no work. :(

Im expecting an emergency patch pushed through to fix this bc its gotta just be some small little bug.

13. sharpener

Dec 22, 2011
    Musician
    Kowloon, Hong Kong
    #53 sharpener, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
    i am having the same problem i end all of my apps and restarted my ipod it still doesnt work and i am running a 4th gen ipod,

but i tried turning off my wifi running the app it worked though so maybe you guys should try that it might work since its working for me.

14. wolfhunt

wolfhunt Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2009

Thanks, turning off the wifi worked for me. Wouldn't start at all with the wifi on.

15. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    turning off wifi worked, i think there is some kinda conflict with gamcenter bc it would always crash right before or right after the gamcenter thing appeared.

Without wifi, no ability to purchase the iaps, so cant comment on that.

controlls overall seem kinda mushy. For example, on joust, the wing flap is perfectly responsive, but moving left and right felt more mushy, and non responsive than i remember from arcades.

Rampage seemed pretty spot on though.

rootbeer tapper seemed, fine, but kinda mushy as well, just not as responsive as one would hope. The rootapper update that came out not to long ago seemed to have much better controlls.

Spy hunter, I couldnt figure out how to turn on the touch steering, but the tilt actually seemed to work sorta well, but I think overall spy hunter moves to fast and requires more precise controls than this platform can provide.

Defender, by far, felt like the most complete, and best playing game that I had access too. (arch rivals seemed so shitty, but I never liked that game). Turning left and right had the slight mushiness i had become accustomed too, but there was enough movement, and the game played in just the right way, where it didnt bother me. Really enjoyed my time with this game.

Would like to try the other iap games, but no wifi. :(

16. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Crashes all the time on iPad 1. Hard reset, soft reset, reinstall, deleted from multitasking etc etc. giving it one week or I'm asking for a refund.
    Edit: I'll try the no wifi solution.

17. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Mm-hmm, app invariably crashes on startup on a 4th-gen iPod Touch unless wifi is disabled; if wifi is re-enabled during play the app will simply lock up and crash.

As for the games, the control area should be smaller, the buttons need to be bigger, and there really needs to be a larger fixed pad control option in addition to the tiny joystick. The joystick itself works better when changed to floating from fixed, but it still feels incredibly imprecise and unresponsive.

18. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Even though the games would work on a 1rs gen, IMO the graphics outside the game (or the menu) looks very great.

19. sharpener

Dec 22, 2011
    Musician
    Kowloon, Hong Kong
    I only bought it cause it was on sale and hoping they will add more games such as Sinistar and the Mortal Kombat series. But this is what I did I purchased the adventure pack first just turn off wifi then go to settings turn it back on open up your multitasking screen and run the game again you should be fine for then

20. Zemar

Zemar Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Denmark
    What are the chances to see Mortal Kombat in this Game? I don't think that WB has the license to put MK in this, but it would be awesome.