Mighty Dungeons for Android Mobile & Tablet

Discussion in 'Android Games' started by laylio, Mar 3, 2013.

1. laylio

laylio Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Developer
    Singapore
    Hi Paulo, I followed up with you by email on the payment option ;) Hope you will enjoy it and thanks for the support!

2. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks laylio - it's fixed now.

I'm looking forward to playing it! Best of luck with the game :)

3. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hi all,

So I bought the game so far, and have had a good time with it - just played through the first dungeon, and it was fun. I do, however, have a couple of questions, given that I can't seem to find any manual for it.

- How do the combat mechanics work? Meaning, how do I read the battle screen, what impact does a higher number of swords or shields - both mine and my opponent's - have on the probability of hitting and missing, and how much damage one does or takes? The same for spells?
    - Also, it seems that the combat is turn based, but has a timer. Is it just a timeout for your current turn, or is it more like a timer between opponent turns, and you can hit him any number of times you can between the timer starts and finishes? I thing it's just a plain timeout, and for each of your turns, your opponent also gets one turn, but it wasn't always clear to me.
    - Third, would you consider the ability of allowing one to save the game inside a dungeon? I know it currently doesn't allow for that, and I imagine that if the game wasn't built with that in mind, it might be difficult, or just too much effort to implement, but for a mobile game it would be great to allow one to pause anytime and continue later on.
    - Fourth, about the "cheat code"... How do I enter it? My device does not have a physical keyboard, so I can't seem to be able to enter it. I tried creating a new character with that as a name, and now I can't delete it :p How do I delete a character?

Overall, pretty fun game, I'm liking it so far. Really good execution, great artwork, and I'm looking forward to playing more of it!

Cheers,
    Paulo

4. laylio

laylio Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Developer
    Singapore
    #24 laylio, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    Number of "swords" = number of attack dice you will roll
    Number of "shield" = number of defence dice you will roll
    I'm rolling HeroQuest kind of dice - 1 dice = 1 point for attack/defence. The more dice you roll the more attack/defense points you will get. vs enemy attack/defense points gives you the number of damage you will inflict or get inflicted minus. If any of your armor is absorbing some of the damage it's counter will be decreased by as much and the rest will hit your body "heart" score.

Spells are extra powerful and will directly hit the "body" score of the enemy bypassing the defense.

It is indeed turn based. The timer is how long before your turn ends. You can only hit once per turn but you can do multiple actions during your turn (drink potions, cast spells, etc.). And if you have a potion of speed you can attack 2 or 3 or 4 times if you are fast enough (and enough speed potions).

It's not a technical issue, it's the intended behavior by design: you must finish your quest to get your progress saved. Each quest is designed to be very short <10min. Initially I allowed entering and leaving the dungeon via the staircase and that would save your progress, it made the game way too easy :you could enter, go straight for the chest and return to the staircase. And you would become gazillionaire in no time.

You can't delete a character for now. I will probably implement that in another iteration. To enter cheat codes: village > settings -> top left corner there is a keyboard shaped icon. Enter any code and press the "DONE" button. A message should display at the bottom of the screen if the cheat codes have been activated

Thanks! Appreciate the feedback ;)

5. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #25 pjft, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    Oh, wow - thanks for explaining it, that makes it a lot clear.

So, just to make it clear in the combat, since I sadly never really had the chance to play the tabletop version of the game, even though I was always curious about it, in the attached screenshot, where:

[​IMG]

- I have 32 swords, and 10 shields
    - My enemy has 15 swords and 6 shields

So, if I understand correctly:

- In my attack I will roll a 1d32, and he will roll a 1d6? And the damage I'll do to his health is <my roll - his roll>, and if my roll is lower than his, it's a miss?
    - In his attack, he'll roll a 1d15 and I'll roll a 1d10, and the damage I'll take will be <his roll - my roll>, and if his roll is lower than mine, it's a miss?

Sorry to ask you for such a detailed, low-level explanation, but I'm not fully familiar with the mechanics and want to be able to better understand what's going on.

I guess my comment for the saves were not to allow one to go back to the village to save, but to save exactly where he was in the dungeon, so that when I continue the game I am exactly there, in the middle of the dungeon. I was not considering going back to the village. It's not a big issue, but that was what I have in mind.

Thank you for the explanation :) Off to find the necronomicon!

EDIT: Also, for inventory purposes, why can't I go back and pick up something I dropped? I was forced to let go of my shirt, and now that the armor I used got wasted, I can't get back to my shirt. Did I do something wrong?

6. laylio

laylio Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Developer
    Singapore
    No worries ;)

You have 32 swords and 10 shields so every time you click "attack" you will throw 32 HQ dice for your attack. And your enemy will throw 6 HQ dice for defense. HQ die: [​IMG]

You need to roll skull to attack, enemy needs to roll black shield to defend
    You need to roll white shield to defend and enemy needs to roll skull to attack

1 roll = 1 or 0 points (if you don't roll on the right face you get 0 point). so num rolls = max num attack/defense points you can get

Number of damage points = attack points - defense points
    Miss if defense points >= attack points

When you roll defense points > 0, it will pick an armor at random and inflict the defense points to the armor as well. If the armor points = 0 then you lose your armor (helmet, body, etc.).

Hope it's clearer :)

7. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Definitely - much clearer :)

Thank you!

8. bigE1669

bigE1669 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    IT
    Ill
    Love this game

I picked up the game last night after reading about here. I have to say I'm having a lot of fun. I was a little confused with the interface but figured it out pretty quickly. Here is to hoping more people get the game so we get more content. Love the graphics btw.

9. josue85

josue85 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 28, 2013
    This looks amazing, purchasing as we speak :) I'm thinking about PMing you for the extra gold, but does that throw off the game balance at all? I don't mind slogging through the beginning if it makes me a better player.

10. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Well, you can always not use the code :)

The game is a lot of fun! There's also talk of content updates, and "submit your own quests". How does that work?

11. josue85

Patreon Bronze

Feb 28, 2013
    Hahaha, that's true. After playing for a bit, I think I will use the code, though. I'm really digging it so far, I like that the quest are bite sized. I'm still not totally sure how everything works, but I think it'll be fun to figure out.

12. laylio

laylio Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Developer
    Singapore
    Hi all thanks for all your comments! I've just updated the game on the store to make the armors more affordable (price vs quantity). If you still need the extra push, PM me for the gold. But be aware that the game is less fun if you are too powerful.

As for "submit your own quests", the game has been built on a very extensible game engine, and the fact that it's full 2D makes it easy to add new visual content to it: just need to draw a picture of a monster, set it's specs and drop it into a quest.

When I have a sizeable community around the game I will release the excel sheets I use to prepare the quests (with all the specs of all monsters and items and existing quests) so that anyone can submit their own quests. It takes about 1hr to add in a full quest for the game and about 1 day for a full campaign of 8 quests (8x1;).

I can also replace the game board. As a matter of fact I initially built the game using the HeroQuest game board and 14 initial quests but for obvious copyright reasons I couldn't release the game like that... I actually contacted Games Workshop, maybe they will allow me to do so but I doubt it (I have yet to hear from them).

This week I'm working on minor bug fixes and taking into account community feedback (I've pushed 3 updates so far). I've also released a demo version (free) for people that just want to try it. Also working on promoting the game on various sites and forums.

Next week onwards I'll start putting more content into it. Hopefully I can get more downloads so that I can spend more time and $ into making the content and the design for it.

If you like it plesae spread the word (specially now that there is a free demo available).

Thanks again!

13. laylio

laylio Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Developer
    Singapore
    I forgot to mention, look out for version 1.0.4 on the store for the armors pricing updates and 2 more monsters into the game - one is a super tough one... and is the new boss of the "Ancient Creatures" quest in campaign 1.

14. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Great news - I hope the game is being successful :)

15. laylio

laylio Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Developer
    Singapore
    So far 60 downloads. Still a bit shy but i haven't started promo yet ;)

16. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    You should try to reach Pocket Tactics, they usually have an interest in this kind of games.

That would give you some solid exposure.

Cheers!

17. josue85

Patreon Bronze

Feb 28, 2013
  18. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    It might be a good idea, though I've seen them being specially picky with potential unofficial "clones", which is not directly the case here, but you never know.

19. preuve

preuve Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I picked up the game yesterday and played it all the way to work. It's really enjoyable!

I'm definitely looking forward to updates. As others have suggested, a way of increasing character experience and stats would be awesome. It can be difficult to maintain the balance of the game though.

A couple of observations:

1. Panning about the map seems quite sticky and without inertia
    2. I couldn't work out why on the first dungeon level 1 why I couldn't move to an area and I realised it was off the map. All edges should be walled off.

Running past a corridor doesn't open up the field of vision a little as you pass by. Was this by design?

20. laylio

laylio Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Developer
    Singapore
    Hi Preuve, glad you are enjoying the game. XP / Levelling is the single most requested feature so far (along with dropping more gold during quests ...). I'll be working on the gold portion for this friday's update. As for the XP i seriously need to consider it but it will take a bit more time. As soon as i'm done with the iOS version i'll look into it.

- Panning the map inertia: point taken i will look into it.
    - off the map edges: make sense, i will try to add that in to the friday's update or next monday :)
    - open vision while running is by design since you are running you will not be looking closely.