GameClub Mikey Shorts (by BeaverTap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Werebite870

Werebite870 Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2011
    27:08 on 1-1. Impossible. What are people doing to shave so much time? I'm still stuck at 27:20

2. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Thanks! And sorry that this GC syncing bug hit you, too. Thanks for being understanding. I'm still not sure what is going on, because it all appeared to work during testing. We have access to a 2nd gen iPod Touch, so I think the next step for us is to create a new debug build with logging, and try to reproduce the bug ourselves. That should allow us to see what is going wrong.

3. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    One of the things I would like adding to this game is uploading replay data to each leaderboard score - basically what Jet Car Stunts did. That way people can see what the top scorers are doing to get those impossible times. So you can view someones run and then race and try and keep up with the ghost or ghost line.

The only problem I see with this is Game Center does not have this functionality and all the other social networks are in flux at the moment... so you would have to do your own sever side stuff for this.

But if this was implemented the game would go beyond awesome!

4. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Great game. Up there with the best iOS platformers. I think I might like it better than League of Evil, which I also like it a lot.

It would be cool to download other people's ghosts though. Also, more levels please.

5. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Thanks for all the support, Mike. Really appreciate it. =]

6. jerzeeshadow

jerzeeshadow Active Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Professional Lunatic
    Twilight Zone
    Thanks for answering, man! And thanks again for a great game!:D

7. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    Mikey Shorts is closing in on the Top 100 in the App Store! Let's break that barrier! :D

8. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    Yeah, I can't understand how people get such high scores in the challenge mode. The 3-star requirement is usually around 600 (which I can usually just barely make), but both the global AND local highscores are in the 10,000's. It's making it impossible for me to get the achievement where you must get the highest local score on a challenge level.
    HELP!

9. WooHooII

WooHooII Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    The leaderboard shows your total score across all challenge levels. If you get over 600 in all of them, you end up in the 30,000 range, which is much higher than what you need.

10. TurboRuhland

TurboRuhland Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Only played two levels so far and it's totally awesome!!!

My main comment is this: If two indie developers who met on a forum can nail down such awesome virtual controls, why do so many bigger name devs still have trouble with it?

11. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    No.53 in the top paid apps :D

12. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    But no feature on the US App Store... If it was featured it would get into the top 10 easily. This is a big fail on Apples part! And really proves the App Store is broken because Mikey Shorts has more playability than most games in higher spots.

But congratulations on getting 53 with no marketing what so ever... It just proves the game is very special indeed.

13. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Agreed the game should be featured in new and noteworthy some of the games featured this week don't even have enough reviews or ratings

14. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yeah, it's definitely surprising that this game wasn't featured. I'm sure it'll be successful though, especially with 5 stars from TA. It's already doing pretty well in any case. I still remember mikeg from back when Hook Champ was popular. Who better to make a speedrun platformer than the best of the best at the genre? xP

It's a great game.

15. Fep52

Fep52 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Clarity of vision? Genuine love for the product?

16. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    #156 mikeg123, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
    Yeah, we were a bit surprised about the lack of feature. But we are in the iPad News & Noteworthy section, so that is strange that we aren't also in the iPhone section, too. Maybe because we are new, and no one at Apple has a clue who we are?

Maybe if we can continue to improve our ranking, we'll get a What's Hot feature next week...

And does anyone know why when you view the Mikey Shorts icon in the App store that it says "No ratings"? We clearly have a bunch of ratings.

Because I can't reply to every post (I'd like to), I'd like to send out another big thanks to all the great support we have gotten from the TA community!!

@backtothis: you are definitely remembering the right mike! ;-)

17. RunnyGnome

RunnyGnome Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Its sad how, say, Zynga releases a copy and pasted freemium game (as they always do) and it makes oodles of cash with little to no effort put into developing it. And then a game like this comes out that isn't freemium, isn't copy and pasted, isn't published by Zynga (Why Phosphor, Why!), and obviously had a lot of effort put into it and I realise "Hey! Maybe the world hasn't gone mad after all!"

18. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    I hope so... The game is getting very very good reviews across the board and deserves all the success it can get.

If Apple don't recognise this little gem then the days of little indie teams building great little games that put the big publishers to shame are coming to a close. It's not very often I get behind a game but been a developer myself I like to recognise pure brilliance that should be rewarded!

19. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    That's quite a common thing on the App Store... A few of my games had the same thing happen - it normally rights itself after a day or two.

20. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    Because they have contacts in Apple and get featured... Been featured is the most important thing and most of the big features are worked out in advance between publishers and Apple.