Universal Miles & Kilo (by Michael Burns)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 10, 2017.

1. thatpixelguy

thatpixelguy Member

Mar 20, 2017
    U.S.
    OK, this story's a bit long, but bear with me. :)

Originally it was called Kid Tripp 2, but after a few months of development I decided that I wanted to add new moves to the game; my original solution for that was to add a bunch of new characters. The idea was that each character would have their own unique special move -- Miles would throw stuff, another character would have a slide move, another character would throw punches, etc. Then each level would be designed for a specific character.

Somewhere along down the line, though, I had the idea for the game's contextual actions. (i.e. a right-tap makes you slide if you're near a tunnel, or makes you punch if you're near a breakable wall, etc.)

After prototyping those controls I loved how they felt, but it meant I needed to cut some of the characters because suddenly they all felt very same-y. The dog was the only one who survived the cut. (Mostly because I love dogs and I was really happy with the art I'd drawn for him, and I felt like he had the most potential for "different"-feeling gameplay.)

That gave me the idea to make the game a story about a guy and his dog going on adventures and palling around. At this point, calling the game "Kid Tripp 2" seemed kind of wrong, because the title excluded the game's co-star.

I still hadn't named the dog though, so I asked my friends and family for ideas. When my sister heard that that the dude's name is "Miles", she suggested "Kilo". Because miles and kilometers, obviously. I loved this so much because a) it's a fantastic pun (and I'm all about the puns), and b) it suggests that the two characters share a common ground, but also contrast each other. Once I heard that name, calling the game "Miles & Kilo" just felt like a no-brainer.

Of course, from a business standpoint I realized I could be shooting myself in the foot by not using the "Kid Tripp" name that I'd already established. But there's just something about the "Miles & Kilo" title that I love, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity of calling it that.

2. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Not THAT obvious, because that didn't click with me until you explained it. Now that I know the backstory though I like it even more!

3. polygonplay

polygonplay Well-Known Member

Wonderful game! Love the retro feel and fast paced action. Good tunes too!

I was also wondering why not "Kid Tripp 2", but after reading your explanation I understand it perfectly. But like you said, probably bad business move...The name could also be: Kid Tripp 2: Miles & Kilo

I tested this with MFi game controller (SteelSeries Nimbus). It woks but there are few issues:

1. With controller the game is not auto run. You have to control the joystick to move. I guess this was not intentional? However, It plays nicely that way too.
    2. Currently you jump with buttons A and B and Punch with buttons X and Y. At least for me it is awkward arrangement. It would be much better to punch with B button. To sum up: A for jump and B for punch would be perfect for me.

Still, all in all quality stuff and happy to pay the price of the app! I'm developing 2D platformer myself too which makes it even more interesting to see other indie releases in the same genre. Do you happen to have dev blog?

4. thatpixelguy

thatpixelguy Member

Mar 20, 2017
    U.S.
    "Kid Tripp 2: Miles & Kilo" isn't a bad idea. Might update the App Store title to that in a future update to help with discoverability.

Thanks for testing the controller support! Manual movement with the controller is intentional -- it's there for people who don't like autorunning. I have the A/B/X/Y buttons setup like that because it's easier (for me, at least) to simultaneously press A/X and B/Y than A/B and X/Y, and it's really important to be able to do that in later levels. That said... I'll look into adding an option to swap the bindings at some point.

For now, controller support is just experimental. :)

Good luck with your platformer! I don't have a dev blog. I usually just post random dev updates on my Twitter account. (@thatpixelguy)

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Oh man, your sister is something else! Haha, much like Jared, I never actually connected those dots. Makes me love the game even more as well. ;)

Yeah, honestly Kilo might be my favorite thing about the game. His animation's are killer and there's so much charm in those simple barks and smileys. Adorable.

As for a name change...I don't mind the game as it is, but since Tripp's getting updated, you might as well change it for continuity's sake. What happens if and when (WHEN!) you release a third game in the series? Another new naming convention, Kidd Tripp 3...or Miles & Kilo 2. Yep, could get confusing. :p

6. .THOTH.

.THOTH. Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Credit counselor :(
    Tacoma, WA

I loved Kid Tripp but THIS right here is absolute pure platforming perfection. I'm in awe of how fine tuned this is. The graphics, the music, the rhythm and challenge; ALL of it is perfect.

I'm silent veteran on toucharcade. I almost never chime in. It's probably been well over a year since I've commented on a game, but I had to for this. Well done!!

My only request is to update it so you can replay levels to S rank in story mode like you were considering. I'm not a high score chaser but I like to get high ranks, collectibles and trophies.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Same here. I actually read it as Kylo even.

8. Draven2222

Draven2222 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Plays quite good with an MFi controller, tested most of em.., MFi allows you to control Miles instead of auto-running, which is unique and interesting, all of a sudden feels like a mario game. :)
    However you can still play it as an auto-runner, just don't touch the left Analogue stick!
    [​IMG]

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Just finished Kid Tripp for the first time in 2 years or so. Every bit as good as it originally was and now I can dedicate 110% of my attention to M&K.

10. CraigG

CraigG Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    With MFi, the boss battles appear to be enforced auto-runners though.

Anyone got any tips for the second one? I can't seem to crack the timing of the bit where you get two boomerangs thrown at you.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Tap before the first, hold before the second. ;)

12. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

is it possible to have an option to swap between auto runner and classic platformer also without a controller?

13. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Aaaaaaand done! :D Oh man, if you found Kid Tripp's difficulty insane, you're in a world of hurt with some of the latter levels in M&K.

14. thatpixelguy

thatpixelguy Member

Mar 20, 2017
    U.S.
    Regarding the mummy boss: Yep, I think the difficulty is a little high for a second boss. Sorry about that! I think what I'll do is allow players to deflect the boomerangs by throwing fruit. This will make the level a bit easier to pass, but you won't be able to finish it with a full fruit meter if you do this. (so your grade will be lower.)

Nope, sorry. I would have added the traditional virtual d-pad on the left and two virtual buttons on the right setup as an option, but many of the later levels require you to simultaneously press or hold the jump and action buttons; unfortunately, you can't press two virtual buttons with one thumb. :(

Also, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone sending in their feedback on the game. Makes me so happy (and relieved!) to see people are enjoying it. :)

Congrats man!

15. CraigG

CraigG Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I got past boss two in the end. The interesting thing with a game like this is how likely I am to replay levels, or whether I never want to see them again. For the most part, I am interested. But that second boss: argh. The third one was a bit of a pain, too, although not quite to the same level. (I'm now working my way through world four.)

16. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    What's the criteria for an S rank. I've finished levels under par time, all coins and fruit and no deaths but only get an A rank. What else do you have to do to get an S?

17. noteatino

noteatino Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2014
    My only recommendations aside from twitching the mfi controllers is simple and merely cosmetic:
    At the end of the level on the "Cleared" board the colors of the letters and the wood are the same-y, would like to see another colors.
    I'm enjoying so much your game btw! Thanks for bring us quality stuff to the AppStore.

18. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Mummy boss is killing me. Having trouble with him using the spiky thing. I think I figured it out but can't do it consistently.

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Jump over the spiked ball. Once you're on his chain, tap the right side of your screen. Once he's reeled him, tap on the right again to punch him.

20. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    That did it. Thanks!