MiniGore: How many kills to compensate for lost data?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by don_k, Apr 8, 2010.

?

As compensation, how many kills would you want for losing all your kills and characte

1. 50,000 kills

15 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. 85,000 kills

8 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. 100,000 kills

22 vote(s)
    15.9%
  4. 150,000 kills

11 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. >200,000 kills

82 vote(s)
    59.4%
  1. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    A Lite version that costs money? Sounds like a rip-off to me.

2. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Hey that's the trend. See Across Age.

Next time you walk into a food exhibition, a girl will come to you offering a taste, but you must pay $0.99 for it :p

The whole idea is, "like it or not, we must get your money".

3. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    But isn't Hardgore a Tower Defense game? I don't see how promoting a dual-stick survival game would persuade people to buy a Tower Defense game...

4. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Because it has the same art, voice over and characters? Oh and of course the hidden 'easter-egg' feature to delete all your data when it feels like it.

5. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I see... I must admit that Minigore's art style is great though, one of the best I've seen in all games.

6. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    some people just like to discriminate instead of being happy for what you get. ok you last data, whats complaining going to get you? their aware of the issue and theyll compensate or fix it how they see fit. having their "fans" talk to them like this only encourages them to give up on the project

btw, we can all agree that minigore ep1 (original release) is well worth 99cents. have you seen most 99cent apps in the appstore? their garbage so i can hardly see how this is a "lite"

7. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Wrong. They would focus on the game even more to make sure they please people, in order to get more money. If they gave up on this game, they would have a poor reputation, and wouldn't be able to develop future games. People would turn away from their upcoming game, Hardgore, as well.

8. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Actually, there are plenty of $0.99 apps that are way better than Minigore. Doodle Jump, iDracula, Tilt to Live, to name a few at the top of my head.

9. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    #69 playn, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
    ok, so if i came to your work one day and starting saying your shit at your job your worthless and all you've done is bring down this company, im going to boycott you im going to give you bad reviews im going to make sure you get less customers and lose thousands of potential dollars, and on top of that i demand you pay me in compensation for the poor performance you have done whats your reaction?

i dont see how doing all that is going to make them focus. their not going to want to make the game better for the people that are making their life harder, no matter what way you try to twist it. its simple, if you want someone to do better you dont treat them like shit. you encourage them. do you see psychologists or people helping mentally challenged people abuse them and tell them their pathetic? no you encourage them, even when they make a mistake (im not comparing MS to these people but its an example of how these things work)

ok thats a start, now name the rest of the 1000 99cent apps and compare them to minigore
    btw; i rate minigore ep1 higher then doodle jump and idracula (havent played tilt to live)

10. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Yes, but if I am at a workplace where I am constantly abused and humiliated, I would just simply find another job. Unfortunately, game developers don't have this luxury. They can't just abandon a game, and decide to develop another, because no-one would purchase their new game, knowing their poor reputation.

And also, it depends on how much I was getting paid for the job. If I was getting paid big money, I would endure the criticism, but if I was getting paid low, I would give up immediately. MS are getting big money from Minigore, so they wouldn't just give up.

11. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    i dont think MS are getting too much from minigore, they probably just have enough for the basic stuff. its not like their rolling around in Ferrari's lol

see thats the thing, thats why their forced to push their updates as fast as possible, which causes problems like this, because being and indie dev you rely on your fans so if they say they want it now, you better damn do your best to get it out fast. bigger company's have the luxury of time and money. indie's have to hope and pray their app works, and if it doesnt then their done, thats it, they cant make anymore games.

so what do they do? they leave the gaming industry. not move on to other games

12. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I'm pretty sure that MS are getting hundreds of thousands of money each year from Minigore, considering that they're charging extra for DLC.

And trying to release games quickly does not excuse the fact that they're sending out rubbish updates. It only takes a few minutes to test their update on an iPhone before submitting it. It's really not that hard.

Also, why would they leave the gaming industry? The iPhone is like a gold mine right now. They wouldn't be crazy to go and develop games for the dust-gathering PSPs and DSs.

13. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    @playn:

As I said, there are many indie devs, some with 2-man team as well, who release great games with no such major bugs. Remember, it's not the first time either.

As for your workplace analogy: if I do major screw-ups consistently, it doesn't matter what you're saying about me, I'll get sacked. If I want to avoid that, I must do my job well. Not asking / bribing you to stop bitching me, because no matter what you say, if I do well, everything will be good. If I don't, no matter what you say, it's bye-bye.

14. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    It was their fault for choosing to create regular updates. If they decided that that was what they were going to do, they should be prepared to take on the challenge.

Many other games from indie developers don't require regular updates to become successful. Take Tilt to Live for example. They've only updated their game once, and that was just to fix bugs. However, they've promised a major update soon. Now this gives them plenty of time to finish and test the update to make sure that it is error-free.

There's no need for Minigore to create regular updates to be successful. They could make a major update once every few months, and they'll be just as successful.

15. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    i doubt hundreds of thousands of dollars. not everyone buys DLC, people pirate etc. the appstore is such a risky industry, your sales are extremely unlikely to be steady, only under rare cases. even gameloft dont get steady sales, they get a big spike at the start and then after 2 weeks or so it starts dropping a few positions in top paid and top grossing every day. and at 99cents your not going to get much.

lets look at minigores case
    going by how much people have played minigore with OF on, theres roughly 65,000 people.
    now so far we have $65,000
    take into account piracy; which we will give a value of %30 of overall sales for minigore which brings the price down to 45,500 (if my maths is right)
    we will assume the number of people not using OF = number of people with two OF accounts/different devices but same account.
    so we have $45,500, take off %30 again because apple gets %30 cut from each sale (googled, correct me if wrong) and we have $31,500
    so theres 3 people on the team, $31,500 / 3 = $10,500

so they each get $10,500 per year (or most of) from minigore.. can you live on that?

but thats exactly why these problems get through. lack of time and high demand and pressure from customers.

because like you said, if their game gets bad reputation like its currently getting then they have no choice

"They can't just abandon a game, and decide to develop another, because no-one would purchase their new game, knowing their poor reputation. "

16. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    #76 playn, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
    there is a need for regular updates. you have no idea how much ive told timmo "why dont you just make on huge update and release it" you know what they say to me? they say "because we find that regular updates keeps them happy and off our back for a little while, even if its small" (not exact words but along the lines of)

do your perform better under pressure or relaxed and have time to work properly and accordingly?

17. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Well that's his choice so he must take all the risks that come with it. In other words, suck it up.

Again, the problem is not how frequent or not the updates are. It's:
    1. The game is incomplete when released.
    2. They consistently release bug-ridden updates, sometimes MAJOR.

Read my previous post. If you do well, you won't get sacked even if I bitch about you. If you screw up, no matter what I say, you'll get sacked.

18. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    im agreeing with all of you that this bug shouldnt of got through, it was an extremely easy find. heck it took me 5minutes to find it
    but im trying to say that what some people are doing right now isnt going to help them, if you want to help them help you, you dont go saying all this crap most people are. its discouraging

though i have to disagree on 1. simply because thats all the game was meant to be originally. sure you can look back now and say it wasnt done enough, but for what it was intended to be i think it was very complete, especially for the game quality in the appstore back when it first came out

19. rooteboy

rooteboy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Student/Beta Tester
    Earth......for now
    i agree, cut MS some slack, they are trying there hardest to fill there updates with new content and to push them out a fast as posible

20. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    But it's our complaints in the first place that have actually got them to work hard to get the update out.