Minigore or alive 4 ever

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Ajg3, Aug 30, 2009.

?

Which Is better

Poll closed Sep 9, 2009.
  1. Alive 4 ever

161 vote(s)
    59.9%
  2. Minigore

104 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. Other please list in thread

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    #61 Dark NRG, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
    To me it's like asking what's better: 4x4 or Need for speed. They're both driving games, but completely different animals.

Tho A4E is very well done, but I love Minigore to death, so Minigore gets my vote.

Or, use that 99cents and get Hanto :D
    (sorry, just had to....)

@MrDark Correction: Minigore has 3 weapons: machine gun; Shot gun; Rage.

BTW YOU'LL ALL BE SORRY WHEN MINIGORE HAS ALL A4E HAS AND MORE. YOU'LL BE CRAWLING BACK PLEADING FOR MERCY, AND ALL US MINIGORE FANS WILL SAY, "NO". ;)

2. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    I own both Minigore and A4E, and so I'd thought I'd offer my own little opinion.

Both games are visually polished in their own respect. Minigore has a very cartoony flavor to it, while A4E has a grimy, run down theme which would seem quite in place with a zombie apocalypse. However, the main difference is that Minigore has that 3D-ish thing to it's visuals. I don't know how much of a determining factor that is for you, but bear that in mind.

For gameplay, both are similar in terms of controls. However, the health system is A4E is more traditional, you have a health bar, and it isn't like a 2-hit-die kind of thing. There are health packs around which you can pick up, and you already have a fair amount of health to start with. Minigore, in case you don't already know, lets you get hit once, and the next time, you die. There's no health refill of any sort.

In terms of weapons, A4E has four categories of weapons. Pistols, which have unlimited ammo but trust me, don't rely on it. You'll have to use them when you're carrying stuff. Then there are main weapons, which are fully automatic rifles, shotguns, and some other semi-auto thing that I can't identify. And finally, a grenade launcher. Minigore, there are two weapons and one rage mode.

But right now, A4E has bluetooth multiplayer. I convinced my friend to play p2p with me, ironically having to get him to put Minigore away for a while, and I must say it's quite fun.

At this point in time, A4E has more content than Minigore, by far. There are lots of unlockable stuff, many different enemies, and more guns. It already feels like a completed game. It's currently on sale now, so you should get it while it lasts. But if you trust the often-unkept promise of future updates, then Minigore will supposedly have online multiplayer in the future, which is a feature that A4E also doesn't have. With all the facts laid out, make your own decision.

3. Dark NRG

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    I don't believe that one can reducio ad absurdum that:
    More Content=Better Game

Minigore works in its simplicity and update architecture. The mere fact that I and many others look forward to each update is an incredibly powerful marketing! Havin us "hooked" on the next evolution in the game is more tantalizing than once baked/finished game that I put down in 4 days.

Think about it. I wanna know.

4. TouchGene

TouchGene Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    It is true that more content does not necessarily equal a better game, in the same way that better graphics and less content does not equal a better game.

It is also true that the promise of future updates and an increase in features over time is a functional marketing strategy, but that does not make minigore the better choice. In the same fashion that minigore will have updates, A4E will as well. Minigore ,however, has more to catch up to and with each update A4E can broaden the gap.

This of course, is based on the assumption that A4E will have updates. Judging from the fact that this looks to be Meridian's most successful title, it would be foolish of them not to add more content and in effect charge more for their game, or even offer in-game level pack purchasing.

Don't get me wrong, I have minigore and I enjoyed it for a bit, but just the simple dream of an update is hardly "tantalizing", it needs to be reality before I can vote minigore a better game. As it stands right now, A4E is a better game. Who knows what will happen in the future.

I'm not sure if you're stating your opinion having played the game or not, but even with survival and online scoring minigore is trumped by A4E's bluetooth multiplayer which in the long run (as long as you got some iBuddies) gives the game hours of playability past it's original 30 missions.

It comes down to which of the games is a better value for the .99 cents, and right now it's A4E, and I think the poll agrees. I am anxiously waiting to see what both games will have to offer in their future updates, all that I am saying is that if I tried both games for a day and was given the choice of only one to keep, it would be Alive 4 Ever.

5. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    just so you dont get confused with what some people are saying. minigore will get these updates
    here, follow the blog http://minigore.blogspot.com/
    a4e doesnt have any contact with their community (as far as i know) so updates are not a definate. and well, no one actually knows if a4e will get it
    a4e does have some good play-ability, but it isnt gonna get you hours of game time. once you've finished the game, (which takes about 2hours or less. or if you play it once or twice a day, then it be less than a week) the game wont be a ineresting as it once was, because it lacks survival mode. unless you can constantly play with other friends via bluetooth then the replay value isnt going to be much in a4e

even with the lack of minigore content, ive been playing minigore for well over 10hours even tho its only got the one mode.
    imagine how much playability it will have after update 3, and then even more, after update 4! those 2 are the massive updates for minigore (so far!)
    with the promised story line coming with each update, it means a minimum of 10updates. and that means lots and lots and LOTS of content

but again. depends what you wanna do, wait 2 months untill update3/4 is out (judging by if apple picks up the pace..) or get a4e and use it all up until its lost its replay value

6. Moonmist

Moonmist Well-Known Member

May 13, 2009
    at my computer?
    Ok if we are counting minigores updates then A4E's updates count too. If you read the thread on it the dev has said they are making updates for it. It is getting new missions and possibly online multiplayer

7. error

error Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    The earth core
    i didn't vote because i like minigore but have not try A4E

8. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    yea true just read that
    but i dont think a4e will get as much updates as minigore. well thats obvious since its already a complete game, but i think cause minigore is a community orinentated game (we get to choose what goes into each update) that minigores updates will be more worth it for us

but lets see what a4e can produce

9. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    #69 SoCal_Sponger, Aug 30, 2009
    well the difference is A4E can produce an full game from the start, not promise updates. Also, the devs do talk on the forum and have taken some suggestions in considerations, they said they are going to focus on fixing all the problems and then go onto content. The devs for A4E are probably too focused on their games rather then sitting in a forum trying to gain some hype for an update thats going to come out months later.

A4E may lack a survival, but it has everything else Minigore doesnt. Minigore has only a survival mode, thats pretty sad on the scale of what A4E achieved for the same price. Even if Apple picks up the pace, its going to take the dev of Minigore weeks to complete Episode 4. Episode 3 is not done yet and they started after they submitted Episode 2 (and thats been in Apples hand for like a month). If they take that long to make 3, guess how long 4 will take (what has A LOT more content than 3). Then it has to go through Apple again once they are done.

The Minigore updates will only be "more worth it" because the game doesnt have anything in it right now! If they add a weapon and a map to the game, that itself increases the content by x2! I dont know how someone could play 10 hours on Minigore, thats pretty amazing lol. I think you deserve an award for that.

10. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Alive-4-ever is superior in every way.
    Minigore has like one enemy type, Alive-4-ever has many; Minigore has one weapon, Alive-4-ever has many; Minigore has one life, no save point and no stages, Alive-4-ever is practically an RPG-shooting game, and the list goes on.
    I don't buy the whole "release an incomplete game and then 'promise' updates that will add tiny bit of content, until 2 years later it builds up to a complete game" nonsense of minigore. You purchase a game to play it from the start, it should be complete at that moment, not some incomplete version.
    Kind of obvious which one to get at the current price of $0.99.

11. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Can't say. I only have Minigore, and I like it a lot because of the colors, the sounds, and one of my favorite voice actors. I've yet to try Alive-4-Ever, but it does seem better. Does it already have co-op mode. That's what I've been waiting for for Minigore. I'm going to wait a while before I get more money on my iTunes account, but if A4E is still $.99, I'll check it out.

12. Dark NRG

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    This sounds like a Monty Python argument :p

Great points, I'm just saying that if you're building a house with $100k budget, you could build 8 rooms (A4E)with inexpensive materials from a prefab manufacturer that makes (clones), or put ALL your resources into "one room" that is solid and opulent(Minigore), and plan on making that same high quality rooms of your palace one-by-one over time, looking forward to each new amenity, like in minigore.

To me, kickin out a really good game like A4E and be done with it for the most part is the basic and appropriate strategy for the app store. To keep customers hooked with a beautiful and fun game for the foreseeable future is, like Pocket God, genius! (but not original. You find it in the movies, podcast and music industry all the time)

13. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    #73 dominator246, Aug 30, 2009
    This is hilarious. People are comparing a game that is full priced at .99, to a game that is on SALE for .99. It's really not fair to compare the two. Minigore is worth it's .99 and A4E is worth it's 2.99. So what's the arguement here? They are both fair on their content/price ratio. It's like comparing Hero of Sparta when it was on sale for .99 to Flight Control which has always been .99. There's not really an arguement to be had here..

14. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    Minigore - only has one real game play mode
    Alive4ever - much more depth and plays more than a little homage to Resident Evil

And whilst they are both at the same price I think it is completely fair to compare the two.
    :D

15. Ajg3

Ajg3 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Lala Land
    What about dark raider?

16. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Your right...we all know that Flight Control would still be considered better!

17. samoreg

samoreg Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Well personally I've played Alive 4-Ever and I'm glad I only paid 99 cents for it because I suppose I much prefer Minigore's simplicity. Minigore is just more fun to me.

18. guarnerius

guarnerius New Member

Aug 31, 2009
    how can you even compare the two? all we have a slick demo of minigore really... all these great things to come haven't yet. A4E isn't the best thing in the world either, but better as a whole than minigore is... hands down.

19. NBM05

NBM05 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    What's it matter what A4E is going to cost?

Right now if you have $.99 you can get one or the other. They both cost $.99 right now. Which is a better value for $.99. Anyone who buys A4E for $.99 will never have paid more than $.99 for it, so for them it will always be the exact same price as Minigore, so it's absolutely fair to compare which is a better value.

And while A4E says it will eventualy sell for $2.99, it never has thus far. Thus far it has only ever sold for $.99, therefore everyone who's bought it has bought it at the exact same price as Minigore.

Your argument is like saying if I could buy a brand new Porsche or a thirty year old Pinto for ten grand each it wouldn't be fair to compare which is a better value because a Pinto usually sells for less and a brand new Prosche for much, much more.

That said, I don't think there's any comparison as each game currently stands: A4E is a much, much better game and a much, much better value.

20. Theta-Omega

Theta-Omega Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Classified
    Minigore if you're more of a casual gamer, A4E if you're more of a serious gamer. A4E wins easily, the level of content surpasses Minigore's at the moment, and there are more weapons and enemies. Minigore is great for playing in short bursts, but A4E is better if you're looking for something to play for longer periods of time. It varies in simplicity as well. Either way, it's your choice, and they're both the same price. Go for which ever, but you might also want to read some of the reviews for both first.