MiniSquadron Special Edition!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by mrfungfung, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrfungfung

mrfungfung Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Hey! So - the game comes with 2 levels for free, and you can unlock the planes associated with those 2 levels. For the rest of them - naturally you have to get the DLC, but on download you get the 2 levels along with i think its ~12 planes to unlock (you can check the "My Squadron" screen which will tell you where to unlock certain planes).

In other news - I'VE SUBMITTED IT TO THE APP STORE! You can expect a preview/review by TouchArcade soon enough! :) Here's my blog post on it http://minisquadron.blogspot.com/2010/04/submitted-to-app-store.html

2. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Awesome! Hopefully Apple is quick

3. FK1983

FK1983 Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Web Design
    Bournemouth, UK
    Thats sounds very fair and a good way for you to try and make some money from it (you deserve too!). I recently bought the first one and I play it everyday, love it!

I'll be getting this as soon as it hits the UK store, and i'll also buy the DLC to show my support more than anything.
    Hope its a success for you, was the first game successful if you don't mind me asking?

4. mrfungfung

Feb 17, 2010
    #44 mrfungfung, Apr 14, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
    @FK1983 - thanks for the support! I'm glad you find it fair - its as "differentiated" (in fancy economics terms) as I could make the game, and it's also Try Before You Buy ALL ROLLED IN ONE OH YEAH

Without sounding too much like Borat - MiniSquadron was great success! Otherwise I wouldn't make another one!! W00T :D

(Also - I *need* to make money off it as it's my full time job. I think a lot of people (not you as is obvious) believe that

"Making games = Having A Laugh"

when it's actually a JOB, and all that comes with it)

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
  6. FK1983

FK1983 Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Web Design
    Bournemouth, UK
    Really glad the first one was a success! nice to hear there are developers out there doing ok on our favourite platform! And yeah, I can imagine its far from fun and games developing these games as its what you do for a living, every game you release could make or break you, pretty big tbh.

I think the iphone/touch was made for games like Mini Squadron, effortless controls and fast paced gameplay, perfect!
    Lastly, will there be any awards built in? or you using any services like Open Feint or Plus?

7. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    From the first post:

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #48 LordGek, Apr 14, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
    Yeah, what's that about?

Making games is all FUN FUN FUN and you should be happy to spend months toiling away making one to then give it away for free (or at $1, as close to free as possible) with a guaranteed lifetime of FREE content updates! ;)

Are you trying to tell me there is a FLAW in this business plan?

All you need to do is somehow tap into what it takes to be an insane runaway hit like Flight Control, you know, one of very few out of thousands of iPhone games that may have actually made a decent profit. :eek:

9. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    I think i might have to get this game it looks pretty fun tried out the lite and enjoyed it

10. mrfungfung

Feb 17, 2010
    Yeah thanks EMTKiNG, I'm actually really excited to see how this DLC Try 'n' Buy all-in-one app extravaganza will do compared to my first effort of just throwing the game out for a set price. I think it'll definitely save me having to do any silly "price promotions" and all that, and I'll hopefully get some useful stats and write about it. Maybe some other devs would find that helpful :)

11. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Congrats mrfungfung, I noticed Fox vs Duck is featured in the "What's Hot" section on the App Store. I posted this in the Fox vs Duck thread too but there is less activity there.

I wasn't a fan of In App purchases at first since I was told you could not transfer them to a new device if you decided to upgrade but assuming that isn't a problem I think it is a good idea, especially if it does prevent pirates from downloading the game.

MiniSquadron is definitely in my top 10 App Store games, would you consider the Special Edition to be a true sequel or is it more or less an expansion? If it isn't really considered a true sequel do you have plans for a MiniSquadron 2? :D

12. IndyApps

IndyApps Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Any day now!

Mini Squadron is one of my all-time favs! Looking forward to see the special edition.

Keep the thread going, deserves to be on first page.

13. EMTKiNG

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    I'd advise to be careful though you never know what you may find!!:D

14. mrfungfung

Feb 17, 2010
    @Drucifer hey dude! Thanks for the heads up - I love my spies in the US - you guys absolutely ROCK for being my eyes in America! I'm sure the DLC is tied to your iTunes accounts, and since the DLC are levels (ie NOT energy packs or "consumables") then they carry over to whatever device you have as long as you use the same iTunes Account? hmmm

@IndyApps thanks! Well lets hope that it really makes something of a splash as a free app - I am once more trying some experiments - and to hell with failure LOL lets MAX OUT and see what happens :D

15. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
  16. IndyApps

IndyApps Member

Apr 8, 2010
    @mrfungfung I think having it Free with In-App purchases of additional levels is a good idea and like you said on your blog, it comes out 3 cents cheaper after you've bought all the levels than the first one. ;)

17. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

the first one was 1.19 no?

18. EMTKiNG

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    Is it out yet Is it out yet????:)

19. mrfungfung

Feb 17, 2010
    Its not out yet! You'll know when it is for sure! @jak56 the original app is $2.99, and it had a bunch of price adjustments over the first month. It's currently back to the original price of $2.99.

20. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

Ah, I see.