Universal Monster Dash (by Halfbrick)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    The machine gun jetpack is absolutely *the* best weapon ever in any game ever in the entire history of ever.

2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    I don't like the machine gun jetpack, sometimes the ammo runs out and I fall and die :(

3. darchinst

darchinst Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    manager
    Shreveport, la
    DEVS (if you ever come here):

make the game better:

-on pause, have current game stats vertically scrolling.
    -at the end of the current game, show player's best distance above or below that game's distance on the end screen without having to go to statistics.
    -make the music more varied between levels. even though it's different it's the same.
    - have the character's expression change depending on how well or bad you do in the game you just finished.
    -add more sayings for the end game quote by the character.
    -more jump obsticles than the spikes, maybe different jump obsticles for each level/theme?
    -Flip Screen please, I'm tired of turning down the volume on my phone when things get hectic.
    -add swipe to jump and tap to shoot controls, it can only help pacify more players to have more than one control option.
    -during pause menu, have completely different music to change things up.
    -upgrades/stats/rpg elements are a good idea for future updates.

4. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    LOL, I love the title screen! Plenty of levels, kewl weapons, great art, and one-metric-ton of achievements. Great job, HalfBrick.

5. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Cheers to Phil and Muscat for putting out an absolutely charming gem of a gameplay experience. I've played 4 games so far (highest score in the mid-4k's) and my comments are as follows:

1. The initial 'wow, this is freaking FUN' factor I got while playing Fruit Ninja for the first time, wasn't there. I knew I was going to be hooked on Fruit Ninja when I first started playing it, but Monster Dash isn't doing it for me yet.

2. Things take some time to get rolling... when you have scores in the thousands and you suddenly lose and need to start over, you internally know that you need to spend 2-3 minutes getting back up to that score and it's a bit demotivating and/or boring. Perhaps adding power-ups to make Barry go 'psycho' would help speed things up a bit?

3. The weapons arsenal is fun, but limited - am sure you guys are working on upgrades for this, so won't go into any details!

Not sure what else to say. The game is enjoyable, but isn't reeling me in similar to how Fruit Ninja did. If I have to compare this game to Solipskier, I find the latter more fun because of the skill required to maneuver the terrain so you can get a higher score. On the other hand, navigating Barry and making sure he doesn't take an ill-advised step or run smack-dab into an enemy seems more of a game of chance. Perhaps a better sense of speed combined with lesser gaps in some areas (+1 for motion blurriness) would help things move along?

3.5/5 for me so far. Can't wait to see what you guys have planned in store as far as upgrades are concerned!

6. kiranb28

Mar 17, 2010
  7. K76

K76 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 12, 2010
    Cowtown, Texas
    This is EEEEEHHHHHPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC!!!!!

8. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Seems way closer to Robot Unicorn Attack than Canabalt.

There's no way this game isn't going to be a big commercial and critical success.

9. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    Anyway, i don't need the code any more, I have bought it. And it doesn't support app switching on iOS4, please make it. Thanks.

10. kiranb28

Mar 17, 2010
    On a side note, I really wish you guys would incorporate the trailer for the game as a modified Intro Video in the actual game itself. How I would love watching it over and over, lol...

11. iReal

iReal Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    ^ if they did that, file size would increase. Not only inconvenience but it won't be eligible for 3g download. Loss in sales if even slightly

12. ZEROFACES

ZEROFACES Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Househusband & Musician.
    Ripbum, Canada (seriously)
    Hahaha I just touched one of the monsters on the main menu and he exploded! I've stopped playing just to kill main menu monsters :D

13. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    this is just simply amazing, buy it now!

14. HalfbrickPhil

HalfbrickPhil Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    We could actually do that by having the game load up a Youtube video upon launch before the main menu starts. Except we likely never will due to a couple of reasons:

1. Youtube over 3G looks totally balls, so I wouldn't like to risk player's first impressions with the game a poor looking and poor sounding video.

2. It takes longer to get into the game. This is the iPhone market, we live and die by split seconds of attention. The ideal scenario is to get players playing as soon as possible - anything that potentially distracts a player could mean they have less time to play. In the time watching the video they could get called away for something else, close the app and never play again.

And that would be a tremendous shame :)

In other news - an amazing response and a fantastic launch. We're so grateful for everyone's support and kind words, and simply urge you to keep spreading the word of Monster Dash so we can get some great healthy competition going. Barry Steakfries forever!

15. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    Will this become a Universal app or will there be a Ipad only version?

16. michaelfields

michaelfields Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Have you checked out the new m.YouTube.com on iPhone?

If you hit HQ everything looks great over 3G. Now if only we could delete the crappy built in app.

17. JoeAverage

JoeAverage Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Still seconding the motion on the floor. ;)

18. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

I see. Thanks for the tips.

19. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    How exactly do you perform an aerial stomp? I did it by luck with the jetpack just now but I'm not sure how I did it...

20. iTouch.lover22

iTouch.lover22 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Yeah, this really needs fast app switching. You said you wanted players to get straight into it, well this is the fastest way :)