Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake Accused of Stealing Art

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by karios, Jun 26, 2014.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    So a game based on Doodle Jump is moaning about another game where the graphics are 'simillar' ?

Plus they also have a game which is basically Flappy Bird (MonsterUp Flap). Plus they have a space shoot em up called Galaxium so they're basically trying to steal the famous Galaxian name

So its fine for them to basically steal ideas and just re-do the graphics (when essentially its the same game) ?

Seems very hypocritical

2. karios

karios Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Casual Games Development
    Switzerland
    We are not talking about basic game mechanics here. There is hardly ever anything original in games there. Also, MonsterUp Adventures did add new elements like levels, boss fights and special powers to the original formula.

3. karios

karios Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Casual Games Development
    Switzerland
    What are you talking about? Have you played any of these games? MonsterUp Flap does not play like Flappy Bird at all and Galaxium derives from the word galaxy, not Galaxian. Also, it's just another space shooter, they all derive from Space Invaders with that logic.
    The article is about VERY SPECIFIC graphical elements being "repurposed". Not being insipred by something and going ahead to make something of your own.

Please study this to understand the context of the claim:

http://www.sounasdesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/MonsterUpWorld_sounas.jpg

4. karios

karios Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Casual Games Development
    Switzerland
    The claim is not about "ideas". It's about specific elements of one's artwork being carried over and mixed around. Neither the presence of a skull nor the presense of cute monster characters is the issue here.

Did you see the infographic on Mr. Sounas' blog?

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Why spam forums about it then ? Take it up with Apple or your lawyer. All I see are clones like doodle jump/flappy bird etc. just like you were inspired by these games perhaps the other company were inspired by your graphic style

6. karios

karios Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Casual Games Development
    Switzerland
    I am not spamming anything. I was interested in the community's opinion on what constitutes graphical assets plagiarism. And here you are talking about insipiration which has nothing to do with the case at hand. And it's not my graphic style. It's Mr Sounas portfolio.

7. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Uh oh.... What's this all about?

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Multiformat/Monsters+Ate+My+Birthday+Cake/ip_news.asp?c=60294

8. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    There's barely any similarities here. The monsters look completely different, and the details of the island are different, too. It's ridiculous. An island with a cove??! The starting place in the bottom left?! Hills that are shaped like eggs like hundreds of other games with hills?!

The amount of second-hand embarrassment I feel for this guy is just...wow.

9. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    #29 RevolvingDoor, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    This response is, in fact, specifically to Mr. Sounas' infografic. I don't understand your reply to my post, as Mr. Sonas has a header which reads, I quote, "copies of my ideas!" and then proceeds directly to compare the skull, the cute monster characters, and a few other details. How can you claim that this is not the issue at hand when the infografic claims otherwise?

I understand Mr. Sounas' frustration quite well, but I think he rushed into a judgment without considering the origin of the similar elements, or how common similar elements are in modern games. Worst of all, I think the repercussions of such a claim have been poorly considered. This kind of claim is damaging to games, in general! Certain art elements are frequently found in games that have a common setting. Calling the common use of such elements "plagiarism" makes it more dangerous to produce any new game in a similar setting, and is a disservice to the games industry.

I leave you with a link to another completely unrelated work that shares graphical elements with both maps. Make of it what you will. http://www.cartoonnetwork.co.uk/sites/www.cartoonnetwork.co.uk/files/blogs/toonix-map.jpg

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I feel like this needs to get quoted again.

11. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    No art was stolen. Rather, it appears that one artist copied another artist's style. How indefensible that is would depend on how deeply you value originality, but I don't think it's a legal issue.

12. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    It's sort of funny because none of those things are "ideas". In any case, ideas are not even protected by copyright anyway... so if they were ideas he'd have no legal standing to complain.

13. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Although I don't think that the two art styles look all that similar, I believe that in copyright law the law expects the person / company holding the copyright to vigorously defend its copyright - not doing that basically leaves it open to becoming public domain. So, I think that people trying to defend their work are put in a position of having to go after people they might not really want to, or even believe to be truly stealing their copyright for fear that the courts may later interpret their lack of pursuit as essentially leaving their work to the public domain.

14. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    second hand?

15. redranch91

redranch91 Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2014
    To be fair to the accuser,he does have some valid points on similarities.There may be some variations to the map style used and aspects of the characters etc etc in MAMBC but with the side by side comparison,it isn't hard to notice that the amount of similarities are too many to be a coincidence.However there are many games out there that copy or do variations of an original game out on the App Store.This guy probably feels threatened by it I suppose.I'm a little skeptical now by the game but I won't let that deter me from playing it.

16. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    @Pluto6: Technically correct, but not applicable here. Mr. Sounas seems to be suggesting that his designs have been used without his permission. This strikes me as a bad claim, because there is a lot of precedence for very similar designs predating Mr. Sounas' work. It's not possible to claim copyright over "island with skull-shaped rock feature on the bottom right" or "small hill decorated with diagonal lines..." And we can definitely see that no direct copying or tracing has taken place. In fact, the two artists have radically different styles from a design PoV: for example, Mr. Sounas uses a very nice, muted, earthy sort of palette in the vast majority of his works, and the other artist employs much brighter colors. The island Mr. Sounas created is equally divided into a "happy" and "dark" halves, while the island the other artist created is partitioned into more typical sorts of zones found in many games. Despite several strong similarities, I don't understand how anyone could claim that the second island, with all of its many distinctions, is not original work.

17. karios

karios Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Casual Games Development
    Switzerland
    His reason for listing the start position and the skull position was to make a point and the point was that in addition to the elements that were copied almost without any modifications, there are other similarities (for which he does not claim to hold any rights to). If you add the "copied" elements with the other elements (like the starting position, skull position etc.) it makes it more obvious.
    And I hope you are joking with the link you gave, there is NOTHING similar between these maps and this illustration.

18. karios

karios Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Casual Games Development
    Switzerland
    It's funny how peope get stuck with "copyright claims". Noone said that Mr Sounas holds a copyright to any of these. This is a trade dress violation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_dress) since already numerous people who had played MonsterUp Adventures before were confused into thinking that Monsters Ate My Cake was a sequel to MonsterUp Adventures. They have contacted Karios Games to clarify this.
    Also, the fact that the MonsterUp Adventures map is divided into a light side and a dark side while the other one is divided in zones has nothing to do with the artistic part of the game, but with game design decisions in both games.

19. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Who cares that's for those to sort out all we can do is guess and I'm sure someone will check it out properly, the pictures in general look cometely different to me it's just some details that are the same or similar which could be a mistake or inspiration. What's next? Stickman games getting sued for plagiarism.

I'd rather talk about the game and how good it is.

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

For the sake of transparency, it's worth mentioning that karios appears to be the developer of MonsterUp- http://www.kariosgames.com/