Monument Valley - A game about beautiful impossibility

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ustwogames, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ustwogames

ustwogames Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Thanks!

The way we've gone about designing the story has been to have it accessible as possible for those who care about that sort of thing, whilst not getting in the way of experience for those who would rather get on with the puzzle elements.

There's still some work to do on this front such as further animations, more of the darkened chambers and a ton more polish in general. So I'm really happy it struck a chord with you already.

2. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    But will there be more levels ?

3. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    ustwo said that there will be more, that the beta is to show a glimpse of each chapter.

4. Jake-gumbleton

Jake-gumbleton Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Freelance concept artist
    Uk
    I just played through the whole thing. It's already a brilliant experience!!
    Will find time for the survey ASAP.

I have non idea how you put some of those puzzles together.

So many memorable and unique moments.

5. ArellaTV

ArellaTV New Member

Dec 13, 2013
    As I'm sure I'm probably the former (a sucker for an interesting story), I think you struck a pretty good balance. I can imagine that those who'd rather just get through the puzzle elements won't be bothered at all. It's not intrusive in the slightest, it doesn't pause the game for long periods of time, and it doesn't take too much time to get into or understand. I think the best part is a lot of the story is left to interpretation, and that's awesome!

6. kenwong

kenwong Member

Hi guys! Monument Valley artist/designer Ken Wong here (our producer Dan is on the official ustwogames account). Thanks so much for the response, it's been incredible! We know the TA forum members are a touch crowd to please, so it means a lot to us to get some thumbs up from you peeps. We really appreciate the feedback - please fill out the questionnaire if you have time!

7. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#67 Bronxsta, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    Oh, great, the artist/(level?) designer is here :)

It's fantastic. I was looking for Escher inspired puzzlers a few weeks ago and that's how this game was brought to my attention. As someone is fascinated by optical illusions and perspective, every level had that kind of special moment that me smile at what was happening on-screen. I love the Tower, but The Box is by far my favorite.

You and your team deserve all the words of praise and positive impressions here

8. kenwong

kenwong Member

I do design on all aspects of the game... story, gameplay, levels. But the way our team works is very collaborative, especially level design.

Those 'special moments' you described are something we're constantly trying to create :).

9. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Where should I tell you about bugs/glitches?

10. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I had no idea this was having an open beta :O

Applied!

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    i dont want to ruin the surprise to myself. Will wait for the final release. Instabuying!

12. Dr. Woodenstein

Dr. Woodenstein Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    I applied to be part of the beta testing team 3 or 4 days ago and I've never heard any word back. I'm not sure if I was denied or just somehow overlooked. I sent another request because I'd really love to get to play this game. Looks just like the type of stuff I'm into.

13. Gamer1st

Gamer1st Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    None. But I dream about being able to work again.
    USA
    An amazing game even though it's still missing a lot of things at this point. This one is everything I hoped a game from Eichers work would be and then some. When they finish it it's an instabuy no problem. I was worried at first that playing it in its incomplete beta form would ruin it later, but it's so well done even at this point I'd pay for it now.
    I can't wait to see what they have when it's done.

14. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Yeah I usually don't like playing linear games in beta but the each Chapter is so fun that I wouldn't mind replaying the game over to experience it all again

15. MikeNintendo

MikeNintendo Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    True. Considering that now i know that you need to rotate the device in the Tower :)

16. ustwogames

Jan 31, 2013
    Hi guys,

Just want to let you know that I'm sending a further 200 beta invites tomorrow and want to make sure anyone who wants in from Touch Arcade is invited. So if you haven't already, let me know here or through PM.

As a heads up we've had 4,600 applicants for beta so far which is crazy.

17. MikeNintendo

MikeNintendo Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    That's great! I've seen a few posts about your game in the news sites that i'm reading, so you had a great press coverage actually. Thanks to the originality of the game. Really happy for you :)

18. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I have really enjoyed testing this, I can hardly wait for it's release, I did my questionnaire straight away, but wanted to say here how much I've enjoyed it.

19. Lowlifemalakye

Lowlifemalakye Active Member

Dec 15, 2013
    First off. Thank you for letting me be part of the beta.

This game is so cool I really enjoy it, but there is absolutely no sound on my device while playing is this just the build so far or something else?

20. ustwogames

Jan 31, 2013
    Unfortunately we've disabled audio on the beta release as we just didn't feel it was ready yet.

Beta 2 testing will include audio however.