Most surprisingly good game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Camzy, Jun 24, 2009.

1. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Surprising to me...I would say:

- Star Defense: Didn't have high expectations and it to me is a very balanced and very addictive Tower Defense game which is my favorite one for the Touch at the moment. Its Beautiful visually, the game play is super smooth smooth, the controls are very easy and responsive, I love the zoom in my either tapping the screen or spreading two fingers ,and navigating is very comfortable.

- Peggle: Who would have thought busting pegs would be so fun and addictive. Tons of replayability. Thats all i can really say about it. I was very surprised at how a few minutes can turn into a few hours of solid strategic fun.

- Caster: I think its a must have very uniquely controlled 3rd person shooter that involves running, jumping, and shooting both at the environment (defacing terrain and creating terrain) and enemies while collecting energy. The graphics are awesome as well as the controls and gameplay. it really surprised me and raised the bar for my iTouch.

- Ancient Tribes: This is another surprising game that involves you acting as a god raising a tribe of various types of hunter/gatherers. you have to gather food and resources to grow your tribesmen while catching different monsters that you can use as mounts as well as being able to hunt them and huge boss versions of them for food resources. the levels aren't to big and the a.i. has got better but this is a very fun game. You do get granted different god powers to help you and an increased number of diverse units as you progress and expand in your little world I got it because it was both cheap and the colorful cartoony graphics on the screen shots looked very well polished. very surprisingly good title that plays out as an RTS game.

- IIsotope: I am still surprised at this very simple topdown twin stick arcade style shooter. I love the simple graphics and how it plays like an RPG. There are so many options to this game from the various control schemes that will suit anyone to the upgrading of your ships, different shops, Garage for storage of other types of ships, various upgrades, and the list goes on. This game is to me a must have even though i'm not to fond of these types of games but the fact that it offerers so much content and online leaderboards, different worlds, bosses, spaceships & Upgrades you cant go wrong.

- Taxi Ball: I think Mostly everyone that picked this game up was surprised. I'm not to big in playing with the accelerometer but this game made me a fan of it. You navigate your yellow ball picking up passengers through various very colorfully maze-like cities to they're destinations within the given time frames. there are obstacles and does involve both patience and strategy. You go to fast...fail and your passengers will let you know! This game surprised me and is very addictive. I absolutely love the colorful pixel graphics and very responsive controls. Online scores also give you something to work for as well as different achievements. Simple yet surprisingly fun and a must get at its very cheap price. This game is just Awesome!!!

Enjoy :D

2. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Yeah exactly. At the time it was 1 buck so I thought that too, why not? Can't be bad right? Well like I said, it just wasn't at all what i was expecting, and I don't expect everyone to like it. It just shocked me how much I liked it the second time around. Yeah when the levels start getting more intricate (More so after lvl6-7~ and the more guys you rescue to get dope ass weap upgrades, the more sweeter it gets. At least in my opinion. There are a few lvls (like lvl 12 or 13 I believe) that whooped my ass a few times, but after a few tried and when you get the map figured out, it just makes it fun.

3. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Moonlights
    Very good puzzler, similar to Tiki Towers and World of Goo. Great controls, nice graphics and sound and interesting level designs.

Flight Control
    I ignored this 1 for quite a while, as most $.99 games that hit no. 1 are complete crap. Turns out I was massively wrong on this 1!

3D Roller-coaster Rush
    I picked this up after reading IGN's favorable review of the game, and it is very good. I got a Digital chocolates previous title, Tower Bloxx Deluxe and thought it was pretty lame. Put me off their games completely. But this game is awesome fun and addictive as hell. I recommend everyone tries the free version.

Zen Bound
    I ignored the hype, believing in my ignorance, that the game would be too boring and slow paced. But as time passed and the great reviews kept flowing, I decided to give in...and i'm glad I did. 1 of the best games available, unique in every way.

4. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Drop7 and Music Neon

5. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Caster.
    I got the game when it came out but it bored me.
    Now i downloaded it again and it is really fun

6. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Yeah I'll even vouch for that one. The gameplay was surprisingly awesome, like a 3D megaman almost. However, I felt that the current movement controls are dispicable. Like... they aren't even tolerable for me. I would need almost like a virtual Joystick to control it correctly. I don't know why I have such an issue with the current controls, but trying to dash and double jump while moving in a particular direction just gives me utter hell.

7. mrholder

mrholder Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    +1 for
    - Dropship - took some getting used to
    - GL Golf
    - Peggle - glad I followed the hype
    - Caster - took some getting used to and watching a video of gameplay

8. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Dropship is a mixed bag for me.

I played a couple of levels through to about 10, and still didn't find it particularly interesting so I dropped it (pun intended.)

I might consider going back to it, but there are so many great games out now, that I don't think it's worth my time going back. I was also a little bit peeved off that I bought it at $1.99 and saw the price drop 50% the next day...

9. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I'll add Nano Fighter! To my list. I really do not like these type of shooters at all, but I love Nano Fighter!

10. hawks12thman

hawks12thman Well-Known Member

Playman Track & Field, however it was still only $0.99 when I bought it. It has since risen to $1.99.

11. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Trism and California Gold Rush, Some of the most pleasant surprises ever. :) So much fun.

12. Veratek

Veratek Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    VERATEkĀ®
    washington
    Glad to hear dropship had the same effect on some people, plus i hear it was one of the first (or the first) ipod game to implement the now beloved virtual joysticks?

And "NFS Underground" lived up to the hype for me. Sure it's auto-accel and has no option for touch steering, but for that arcade style it offers great gameplay.

13. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I love Choclate Shop Frenzy & the Penguin Catapult.. I believe these games are like the Mario on the iDevices..

14. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I agree completely. GI joyride easily competes with any of my favorites for a chance on my top ten. It's such a simple and fun game, I really am, dissappointed that trapdoor is no longer around. I almost went ape shit, when someone "mentioned" that it might no longer be around after 3.0 compatibility checks are done.

15. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    DChoc games tend to be pretty good, so I wouldn't say I was surprised by their quality. Sometimes, reading good reviews about a game can't sway you from getting it because you just don't feel like it'll be fun. When you take a leap and get one of those games anyways and find out its awesome, the feeling is pretty cool.

16. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    1) iGuerilla 2: I think if more people gave this game a shot, we'd see a lot more praise for it. They took a simple concept, and really ran with it. Lots of variety on this game, and a great, consistent graphic style. I think this game is a top 5 shooter of any i've played. The developer also is one of the most active updaters I have ever seen.

2) Guiness World Records: This one is slipping through the cracks. I don't think it should, but if this goes to $.99, you will see people jumping on the bandwagon in droves. Really fun events, great incentive system, and terrific graphics/sound make this game one of the best undiscovered games out there.

3) American Idol: Guilty pleasure alert...I don't even watch the show, but there is something addictive about this game. Cheese factor is off the charts, but at heart, it's a fun rhythm/choose your path type game with over-the-top acting included. It's plenty long too...give this a shot and be pleasantly surprised.