Universal Motorsport Manager (by Christian West)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Completed my first season last night. Was really enjoyable. I pulled it back towards the last 3 races but misjudged my tyre wear on the last lap of the last race and missed out on a win which would have made me second or maybe first in drivers championship - and my other driver also dropped back so left me 3rd in constructors championship at the end just a couple points behind - it was so close though and really exciting watching those dots play out my "cunning" strategy especially in the last race where I thought I'd nailed a miraculous season recovery.

The drama unfolded in such a way that your imagination can fill in the blanks and for me it makes this game even greater than the sum of its parts (which is already very great!). I swear I could hear Martin Brundle and Murray Walker screaming down the mic! (For our US friends Brundle and Walker are/were the British F1 commentators - Murray was infectious and really got me into watching Motorsport in the 80's with his ceaseless enthusiasm!).

Superb game - best game of the year so far for me alongside hearthstone but the gameplay here is so different to anything else I've played that it's a joy to explore and learn.

2. ChristianWest

ChristianWest Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Hello everyone!

Thank you all so much for downloading and playing the game. It's been fantastic to read your comments. It sounds like you're all doing some great racing.

I'm loving the suggestions and although I can't reply to them all (I'm just a lone developer working from his dining room table) I am keeping track of them and listening.

If things continue as they are I should be able to hire some help and make more of this game.

Thanks for your help in making this happen. :)

Keep the comments coming!

3. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK

Hi Christain great to have you here could you please give us some idea as to what you might be doing to the game now, if anything? Please add my suggestion of killing the music but not sounds effects as an option. #

Thanks

GaZ

4. gamer300

gamer300 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Europe
    What? I don't even...?

Attached Files:

5. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Hey :)

Got to ask, is this your work too?
    http://www.west-racing.com/racing.htm

6. CzarBrain

CzarBrain Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Absolutely am loving this game... Took out the British and Australian series pretty handily. Took a few more years to handle the American series and now I'm working the Japan route.

Loving it's depth and stoked that I can play for minutes or hours and walk away with a sense of accomplishment.

The only suggestions I have, of which one was previously posted, would be to offer a "music mute" and re sync with Game Center. Game Center is missing a few of my achievements and that's frustrating.

Thanks for this awesome little treasure! Keep 'em coming!

7. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    +1 :)

8. wedge598

wedge598 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Great job Christian! This game looks like the work of a huge development team. I'm absolutely loving the gameplay. I did find a few bugs that need to be sorted out. Here is what I saw:

1) one mail message told me that my team was on top of the standings and that they should look out for my team. ;)

2) I had my cars 1-2 on they tri-oval in Austrailia and I received a message that I was overtaken on the last lap but he car overtaking me was a lap car. In the end I finished where I should but the overtake message was wrong.

3) in qualifying the first lap was sunny and I set the pole. It then started to rain so I put on wet tyres. I ran much slower times but the display kept indicating I was setting purple sectors with the wet tyres.

As for suggestions:

It feels like I want to be able to see the stats and cost of new engineers and drivers before I releases the ones I have. I nearly got stuck not being able to afford the new driver who was much more expensive.

9. Zunda

Zunda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2014
    I suggest this too. It's too scary to fire my drivers and engineers without confirming newcomers' status. By the way, don't they improve in status through participating in races?

10. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    64gb and no room!

11. stolenlogic

stolenlogic Active Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Amazing game. I've never played a managment game before but this is a great start for me.
    I keep getting my ass beat on the track but I'm coming up

12. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Same here, I keep having problems with timing tires and pitstops.

13. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Wow! Working from your dining room? This game has the depth and polish of a million dollar, big development house production. I can't wait to see what you have next in the pipeline. I don't suppose you have any interest in hockey or lacrosse games...?

14. Foghorn Irrascible

Foghorn Irrascible Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Wow. That's it, I'm buying. I wasn't sure, hence checking out the thread, but I fancy a management game that isn't boring football so was considering this. You can have my money out of respect! And hopefully the games good too!

15. ChristianWest

ChristianWest Member

Aug 23, 2014
    #115 ChristianWest, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    Thanks Foghorn Irrascible. I hope you enjoy it! I put everything I could in to making it! :)

Next update will feature individual music and sfx toggle options and possibly sliders :p

There's a few bug fixes I want in as well. I will reduce memory usage too so the game is more stable on the lower end devices.

I'll probably do that update first and then focus on finding more suggestions from this thread to up the quality further.

I do have Hockey interest. I used to play at university. :)

16. thewiccaman

thewiccaman Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Considering the corporate takeover of the AppStore, its so good that indie devs haven't been put off. Just bought this & looking forward to playing.

Happy to support independent game development.

17. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Good to read your refining the game and bug fixing. Glad the music will be an option. I hope the game is the success you hoped it would be and you keep finding ways to improve a solid game

Thanks

GaZ

18. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    I bet you'd make an amazing hockey game..
    . (implied nudge)

19. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere

Great news! :)

I have only one wish for a future update: It would be nice to have the option to play in Landscape mode. :D

20. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    To me, this game has more polish, depth, and originality then anything corporate America has put out in a while. Indie devs are the the heart of the App Store.