Movie Industry - a mobile game about running a film studio.Looking for your feedback!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JustaDevil, Apr 22, 2014.

1. JustaDevil

JustaDevil Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Thanks! In terms of genre\idea I think we're hitting that sweet spot that was empty for some time now.

2. JustaDevil

JustaDevil Member

Apr 22, 2014
    That's true! Well, when (or if) we're having close beta, I'll make sure we'll get you on board :)

3. RhapsodyGames

RhapsodyGames Active Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Russia, Moscow
    New logo!

Hey guys! Thank you all for the feedback, it means a ton of us. Currently we are working on our client-side build to polish it for DevGAMM conference. We even managed to update our logo a bit:

[​IMG]

We still think about the title. The "Movie" part stays, but we want to replace "Industry" with something more interesting. Any ideas?

4. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Movie Town

5. RhapsodyGames

Apr 22, 2014
    Russia, Moscow
    Hey, that's a nice one.

6. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    It's about time somebody re-attempted the mess which was The Movies; too bad this reeks of f2p. Hopefully I'm wrong... but claiming "ethical IAP" and implementing timers is too much of an oxymoron for me to swallow.

7. RhapsodyGames

Apr 22, 2014
    Russia, Moscow
    #27 RhapsodyGames, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    We think that ethical IAP with timers is possible, you just have to balance it right. Look at Clash of Clans: long timers for buildings and upgrades, small timers for troops. Here are our principles about IAP:

- Don't force players to spend real money.
    - Make the game free forever (no paywalls or something like that)
    - Give good value for hard currency buys (permanent upgrades, unique skins etc.)

We think about adding mini-games for 3 steps of movie production: screenwriting, shooting and VFX. Successfully completing them will reduce timers.

8. JustaDevil

JustaDevil Member

Apr 22, 2014
  9. rodens48

rodens48 Member

May 22, 2014
    when in it schedule to be release??

10. JustaDevil

JustaDevil Member

Apr 22, 2014
    We're planning to release it by late August, possibly September

11. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I absolutely love the look of this. As others have mentioned, Pixelly People Making Movies is the closest to this that I can think of both visually and mechanically but even then it sounds like you're taking a different route which I find really positive. PPMM didn't feel so much of a simulator as an arcade game to me.

I love the Kairosoft games and got plenty of entertainment from Tiny Tower to make my zero expense more than worthwhile! Finding a balance between the two both gameplay-wise and with profitability will probably be quite tough but it's something I'd love to see. Ever since being disappointed with The Movies, I don't think I've played a single Movie Empire Management Sim that has met my expectations!

I'm a shallow and easily pleased guy so I'd download the game based solely on visuals, I love the style and the quality - there's some great work! While I'd definitely prefer a premium product, I honestly do believe there is a place for F2P games. Again, it's all about the balance for me, which probably isn't the most useful thing to hear. Timers are frustrating, but workable with as long as there's plenty to be doing in the meantime.

There really isn't much I can say to help but I'm definitely going to be downloadin this when it's out and checking this thread now and then!

12. JustaDevil

JustaDevil Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Hey thanks for giving a thought to your comment! Honestly, we didn't know about PPMM before starting this thread at Toucharcade forum. So that came as a surprise to us. But you're right that we're making a management game, in the same sense Karosoft designed their titles.

Timers (if placed and designed correctly) can be a valuable instrument to break up the pace of the game, because you can experience a thoughtful 5-10 minutes of gameplay and be off doing your chores or business or whatever, without that sense of "overeating". But of course examples like recent Dungeon Keeper are pure evil.

13. RhapsodyGames

Apr 22, 2014
    Russia, Moscow
    #33 RhapsodyGames, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    Hey there!

We're back with an update. Meet our characters, they will guide you along the way to become the best movie studio in the world. First one is your mentor
    Doctor Truman

[​IMG]

Nobody knows his first name. Nobody knows what he did in the past. The only thing we know for sure - he is excellent at science and he's a movie connaisseur.

Doc is young at heart and very energetic, though it's hard to tell his real age. He always thinks positive but sometimes he's exposed to mood swings. Very straight at judgements, hates hypocrisy. Also Doc is very altruistic and he`s often suffering from his own kindness.

Stay tuned for more to come. Next week we'll show you: Olivia the Screenwriter, Charlie the Businessman, Tristan the VFX Maestro and Aaron the Best friend.

14. Alan-C

Alan-C Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Developer
    Just spotted this one for the first time. I am also a bit concerned about the IAP bit as other people have mentioned, a premium game with no IAP would be nice.

The actual screenshot look awesome though, nice work!

15. RhapsodyGames

Apr 22, 2014
    Russia, Moscow
    Thank you! We know about IAP concerns and balance our game with your feedback in mind. Soon we'll start playtesting our game in order to give you the best possible experience of running your own movie studio.

16. Bandit TA

Bandit TA Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Are you guys still working on this game?

17. RhapsodyGames

Apr 22, 2014
    Russia, Moscow
    Sure! Soon we should be able to launch a closed-beta test.

18. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Never noticed this before till the thread got bumped. Sounds like it could be good.

19. Bandit TA

Bandit TA Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Cool

20. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Oh, waiting for it!!!