Movies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Brazilian Rider, May 17, 2010.

1. DASH

DASH Active Member

I definitely agree with you! By the way is it going to by a trilogy?

2. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    four movies, three books.

3. Mighty Dragon Studios

Mighty Dragon Studios Active Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Games Developer
    The App Stores
    I had the movie 'Jobs' (I'm sooooo 2013, I know) in the background last night. It was quite... blunt. I mean A. Kutcher did a better job than I thought he would but the one about Mark Zuckerberg was way more exciting...

4. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    "I'm sooooo 2013, I know" - Nope. You could repost about Jobs 100'z years from now and it would still be a breath of fresh air for us. When he wrote on the window it reminded me of Proffessor John Nash. Briliantly beautiful timeless classics

5. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #5445 JCho133, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    Really impressed by Mockingjay Part 1. Has a little too much of the love triangle than I would like, but still nowhere near the center stage. It works if you look at the boys representing Katniss's different lives, and having to choose between those. Catching Fire's amount of love triangle was slightly superior.

The movie is solid throughout but once you get to the final 1% it feels like half of a movie for sure. Luckily it doesn't end on a cliffhanger, rather just "open ended". Handled well like the Deathly Hallows.

I must say I have the utmost respect for the Hunger Games. It has truly transcends its Young Adult brethren and actually becomes something meaningful. The first film feels noticeably more Young Adult-y, seeming too neat and clean-cut a lot, but it's worth the watch to understand what is going on in Catching Fire and the universe as a whole (as long as the shaky cam doesn't make you sick. Thank god Gary Ross didn't direct the following ones).

Catching Fire stands as the Empire Strikes Back of the series, as its considerably darker, and much more powerful. It was easily one of my favorite films of 2013 It delves into the real main theme of the series, which isn't the Hunger Games at all.

The past two entries have conveyed despair and melancholy in a way few films have been able to to me, and they really move me emotionally. Not in the moments when a Katniss's friend gets hit with a spear or anything, but rather the moments the show the absolute cruelty of the Capitol, and the struggle of the districts. I got choked up quite a few times, and I won't deny it.

I enjoyed the propaganda dynamic of this most recent entry, and thought it was an interesting commentary on wartime media and the such.

Oh, and that big twist and the end, scared to shit out of me.

Definitely recommend watching the Hunger games and Catching fire again, then watching this. And then watching Catching Fire when you get home because it's so damn good and you want more Jena Malone.

6. one.sixty.four

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    I totally agree. I had just finished re-reading the series to get caught up before the movie so I was waiting for the twist. A DANG was that scene at the dam cool. The day before I saw it I downloaded the hunger games 1 via PlayStation network and watched catching fire on disc so I had i fun hunger games marathon.

7. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I only read the first book. I felt like the rest weren't worth my time.

Now, I realize it was probably the contrary, but I'm glad I didn't read them, because I feel like the movies may be doing a better job than the books did.

I also like not knowing what's going to happen, because the twists are genuine twists that I do not see coming, like the whole escape plan plot in Catching Fire. (Though I did know that [district 13 was alive and that there would be a rebellion[/spoiler])

I actually just finished rewatching the first film, it it's painful to watch (*cough* shaky cam *cough*) because it's so obviously apparent that the production values are lower. The following two realize the world and its inhabitants so much better, especially the aesthetics. The Capitol in the original is borderline B movie ridiculousness at points (due to the costumes and bad special effects, but in Catching Fire it actually feels like a real place, toning down some things and ramping some things up. One thing that's especially striking is the difference in the designs of the Peacekeepers between the two films.

Part of me wishes that Francis Lawrence would go back a remake the first one, since Gary Ross did such a sloppy job. It bothers me because the first one is so close to being good, but it just doesn't come together at many parts. District 12 doesn't feel as foreboding and cold as it should, and the Capitol feels staged, with everyone wearing the same 5 pastel colors. And it's often impossible to tell what's on because of that shaky cam. The cinematography was just really bland. The first film also missed out on a lot of smaller things, that actually go a long way to building the universe, like the girl that gets captured in the beginning of the book and is seen later as an Avox. That just doesn't happen in movie.

The only thing I can give the first movie props for is it adds in a scene that shows Foxface excelling at identifying different flora, providing implications that she actually committed suicide, rather than not knowing the berries that Peeta collected were poisonous. Oh, and Seneca's beard.

At least after you watch the first, you get to watch the second, which is phenomenal.

8. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
  9. one.sixty.four

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    Yes. I agree with how bad the Capitol looks in movie #1, almost laughable after seeing the latest installment. If you enjoyed the movies and have the time to read, I would strongly suggest that you check the other books out. There are a lot of super cool details and bits of trivia that are totally forgotten about in the movie. It never occurred to me about foxface! The indentfiying berries then
    dying from peeta's nightlock
    never made sense to me until now. Thanks!

10. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Yeah, I'm considering reading the rest of the series. I think I'm going to wait until after Mockingjay part 2 comes out though. It'll be the only modern YA series I've read other than Harry Potter.

11. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    The Babadook is the most horrifying thing I have ever experienced

12. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Hobbit was shit, as expected.

13. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    You right, Juhb, you damn right.

14. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    You still pay to see those? Boycotted that shit after the first one

15. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Good for you, JC, good for you.

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Dragged along by "friends".

17. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    ... Holy shit. Under the Skin was mesmerizing.

And Locke was absolutely brilliant

18. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Donnie Darko is absolutely incredible. I suggest seeing the Theatrical version rather than the Director's Cut. The Director's Cut kinda spoon feeds you the answers a little too much.

It's such a fantastic film. One I could watch over and over again and understand a little more every time.

19. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Selma... was so good.

20. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Oh good. The gf is dragging me to see it today and, needless to say....I'm not particularly excited.