Movies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Brazilian Rider, May 17, 2010.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I know it's a biopic and a prestige picture, but Selma covers one of most powerful stories in American history, as exciting as anything invented by Lucas, Spielberg, etc.

2. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I don't know why you wouldn't be more excited. It is the first major motion picture to detail Martin Luther King Jr. in any way, as far as I know. It's a momentous occasion, and it is just about as good as one can hope for.

It could have been a sappy, melodramatic, made-for-TV movie that portrayed Martin Luther King Jr. as an infallible and perfect human being. But the movie is well-done in so many ways, the most striking of which is how it eschews all those biopic pitfalls for the most part.

It is emotional and hard-hitting, but not in a sappy way. And they don't paint Martin Luther King Jr. as being perfect... they do allude to his "womanizing", but thankfully not so much that it overshadows the overall film. It is enough to cause a very tangible tension between him and his wife, though, which I think adds more to the dimension of their relationship.

As a made-for-TV movie, I could see it having the happiest ending. A happy marriage, the main character never giving up or doubting themselves, and everything ending up wrapped in a neat little bow. Selma does not do that, though, and that is absolutely the most impressive thing about it from a technical standpoint. Martin Luther King Jr. is portrayed as a flawed individual with his own serious doubts about whether or not this is all worth it.

I am a little biased considering he is my true hero along with Gandhi. But even removing that potential bias, Selma is a beautiful, emotional, and incredible film. You should be more excited to see it, especially considering you are doing so in such close proximity to Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

It is kind of offensive to me (and many others, it seems) that David Oyelowo was not nominated for his portrayal of Martin Luther King Jr. I can't believe it. Were there other performances this year that deserve it? Sure, of course! But to not even nominate Selma for it? Ugh.

Agreed. :cool:

3. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    I didn't go to see the third hobbit. You should have seen the reaction from the audience in my local cinema when the Desolation of Smaug ended with a to be continued. It wan't pretty.

I'm tossing between seeing Selma or The Theory of Everything. I tend not to gorge myself on biopics.

Fave director is David Lynch.

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    It's not that I don't appreciate biographic movies. I was just in the mood for something else. Selma was fine. Unexceptional in most ways, but fine.

My god that is beyond ridiculous if you're suggesting it had anything to do with race like Spike Lee just said.

5. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Seeing American Sniper tonight. Meh. I'll see how it goes

6. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    #5466 saansilt, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    Spike Lee always has had strong opinions, his personal hero being Malcom X.

7. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Fake baby. Fake baby everywhere.

I liked Interstellar. Them eargasms.

8. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Put your claws away, kitty cat.

Here are some things I have been offended at in the past decade or so:

There Will Be Blood lost Best Picture and Director to No Country for Old Men
    Pan's Labyrinth lost Best Original Score
    Zero Dark Thirty wasn't a Best Picture winner.
    The two main people in Once got "played off" the stage before they could accept their award 100%. Thankfully that was rectified after the commercial break, but still.
    Marisa Tomei being nominated for Best Supporting Actress back in 2008
    Gabourey Sidibe losing Best Actress to Sandra Bullock

I was offended in the same way about Selma only being nominated for Best Original Song this year as I was offended by all these other things that happened.

Calm. Down.

9. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Interstellar was meh. A visual feast but lacking in the brains department, which is a shame because that's what I go to a Nolan film for.

American Sniper was pretty good. I liked the cinematography and Bradley Cooper was really really good, but movie as a whole wasn't that amazing. Touching story and all but diluted by mainstream Hollywood. Was pretty much just a telling of his tale and nothing more, would have been more interesting if it delved deeper into the dark irony of his death rather than just killin' some Al Qeuda peoples for 'Murica

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Sheathed

Loved to death

11. racr

racr Active Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Self-employed.
    Europe
    The World's Fastest Indian

'The World's Fastest Indian' is less know movie of Anthony Hopkins. Recommended for motorcycle racing fans.

IMBD Ratings: 7.9/10

12. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Watching Keanu Reeves kill people in John Wick was very enjoyable.

13. racr

racr Active Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Self-employed.
    Europe
    Was this 15 years ago?

14. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    And Kiwi's

15. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I was very impressed by 500 Days of Summer

16. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Saw Foxcatcher the other night. Can't speak to the accuracy of the film but it was a great watch. Superb performances all around. Solid film.

17. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Finally watched Inherent Vice - I loved it from start to finish. My wife fell asleep.

18. MasterRron

MasterRron Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Economist
    Rome
    This is my first post and so... nice to meet all of you guys!

If i can suggest you a movie right now i will go with a documentary called, Cave of Forgotten Dreams.

It's about a cave in France in which you can find the oldest rock paintings in history. This cave is so much important for humanity that no one can go inside (it's not a touristic place, just for reference) but the French government gave Werner Herzog an authorization to film inside the cave.

What he find over there was just astonishing... i was thinking that rock cave were just men painted as sticks and that's is really far from reality :)

Watch it, you won't regret!

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    ^No offence, doesnt sound the best. I like documentary films (Specially ones about gaming) but the subject matter sounds dull

20. MasterRron

MasterRron Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Economist
    Rome
    No offence, don't worry but, no offence yourself, why you consider such a big piece of history dull? :)

Anyway the style in which Werner Herzog filmed Cave of Forgotten Dreams is funny and deeply emotional. Give it a try, if you don't like, just turn off the tv :)