Movies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Brazilian Rider, May 17, 2010.

1. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Ipod Touch game player person like thing????
    11th dimension
    I so wanna see this...its looks like an experince..something a movie should be..looks so mindblowing....gotta beg my parents

2. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I loved all of them equally. Inception and Shutter Island too.

Shutter Island was totally not what I expected. When I saw the old woman going "Shhhhhh" in the trailer, I expected a horror movie. Turns out she was only in the movie for 15 seconds =P

3. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Lol, yeah. I thought it was going to be another one of those horror movies, but it actually has a great plot to it.

4. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Has to be the most insulting thing I've seen anyone say on TA. Poor RttaM.

5. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Shutter Island was garbage. Martin Scorsese hasn't done anything good since Goodfellas.

No movies coming out anymore peak my interest. They all seem to just suck ass. Of course this is all opinion, I just can't get into movies these days anymore.

6. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I liked Shutter Island! Well, at least the plot anyway.

7. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    So I just saw Inception today, it's probably the best film I've seen in a very long time.

Throughout the film, I was marvelling at how good the music score was, and wondering who composed it. When I saw Hans Zimmer's name in the credits, I was not surprised in the slightest. The music made a large part of the film, IMO.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I really wish I could see what people love about Inception so much. If I wouldn't have been with a group of friends I would have left early, and the only other movie I've ever debated that before was Pearl Harbor. Yeesh.

9. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    On the contrary, I'd like to see what some people didn't like about it so much. To be honest, those I know who didn't like it simply didn't get it. But I'm sure you're not one of those people, so it'd be interesting to hear your take on it.

10. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Definitely needs to be seen, either way.

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

There is just -so much- in the movie that is completely irrelevant to the plot, the universe of the movie, and character development. Watching Inception made it obvious that Nolan can't self edit, and he's getting to the point where the budgets of his movies are high enough that he can surround himself with an army of yes men who also refuse to edit his work properly.

I guess the idea behind the movie was cool enough, but the different levels of dreaming was extremely convoluted, especially as they devoted more and more screen time to simply explaining how they were doing what they were doing. How little the layers of dreaming actually linked together made all the inane babbling about the subconscious seem extremely masturbatory and almost like the movie was designed to be worshipped by the same kind of people who can't get enough of pseudo-deep tripe like Donnie Darko.

12. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Has anyone seen the movie "Moon" staring Sam Reddfield (or something like that)? I recently saw it and it's pretty epic if you want to think...

13. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Firstly, I feel like I should put a disclaimer or something saying I didn't really like Donnie Darko.

Well as I was discussing with my friends afterwards, I (or we, rather) didn't think it was over-complicated/convoluted, since the writing quite easily explained what was happening (to us, anyway).

Maybe if you pinpointed what exactly was irrelevant?

That's supposed to be a pretty good film. Sounds a bit depressing, but still.

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

The amount of explaining WAS the problem. There was almost no character development because the vast majority of the dialog in the movie was explaining how they were able to do what they do. In comparison, take a movie like The Matrix, they basically vaguely lay out what the matrix is, and you discover more and more throughout the movie as the characters mature.

In Inception, none of the characters go anywhere because nothing exists, and you can't invest in any of the characters they come across because nothing matters 18 layers deep in a dream. It seems impossible to argue this with anyone because any criticism of the movie is met with "welp, you just didn't get it."

15. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Yeh, Moon is awesome. Rockwell carries the movie practically by himself and it doesn't stop being great the whole way through.

16. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Hodapp, you've got a point. There really wasn't much character development at all. Hell, I don't even know their names.

I guess it's because they needed to take the bulk of the 2 and a half hours explaining wtf is going on.

Edit: Ugh, that's exactly what you said. =P

17. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I thought you said you haven't seen Inception? :confused:

18. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    It's not going to gel with everyone is it? You might think it's wasted time to explain something, whereas I might think it is a must. That's the beauty of film. You make your own decision on what does it and doesn't do it for you.

19. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I'm not saying explaining all of it was a waste of time, but I understand why people wouldn't like it because of the lack of character development. Personally, I still loved the movie for what it was.

One of the best character development movies I've seen was probably Donnie Brasco. Loved that.

20. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Sorry pal, I wasn't singling you out. I completely understand both sides of the argument. I'm sure we could all point out flaws with any movie we've watched.