Movies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Brazilian Rider, May 17, 2010.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  2. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Batman > Superman

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Lol. I think it's just that superman hasn't had a director like Nolan or an actor like Bale to give him justice. Still, I generally agree with you :p

4. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    +1.000 to this!!!

Of course, Man of Steel does look pretty cool.

5. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    I'm looking forward to it, it looks awesome. (hope it's better then the last one)

I've always thought Batman has been better than Superman, he's way more of an interesting character, one you can relate to.

6. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    That's exactly how I feel about the two. Superman was always too generic of a superhero for me, not much depth. Hopefully Man of Steel will change that!

7. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is complete rubbish. Terrible writing; a remarkably nonsensical plot that eschews annoying trivialities like character motives and logic. Character development is enjoyed by exactly one member of the large and generally capable cast. Terrible score, if "score" is what we're calling Hans Zimmer's three hour drumbeat. Terrible action sequences; Nolan's effort to use live action when possible, instead of CGI, produces results that lead me to conclude that CGI is actually the vastly superior option. The film is long, yet curiously comes off as over-edited, partly due to the erratic pacing and partly because of the sheer number of things that go totally unexplained (though I think it's safe to say that the plot would still hold water like a sieve even if every deleted scene were restored).

Avoid.

8. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

This always annoys me. If you dont like something why do you make up reasons to not like it. Why not say why you didnt really like it??

9. GSJ1977

Jul 6, 2012
    Uh, what?

10. walsh06

I mean if you didnt like it fine. But a lot of the things you said arent opinion. They are lies. Terrible writing is fine, thats your opinion. But I know the motives for most of the main characters. The only one I dont is Selina Kyle but I think thats part of her character. In terms of development, I count three that had major development so where you are getting one is beyond me. If you listen to the score for the movie youll notice the chanting isnt part of it. And the number of things unexplained?? You are going to have to mention them. Also didnt notice erratic pacing.

So if you are going to say you didnt like it, say why!!

11. GSJ1977

Jul 6, 2012
    What a bizarre way to go about disagreeing with someone.

12. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #1852 JBRUU, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    :rolleyes: if that's bizarre then I've seen it all...

He had an assumption, evidence and logical conclusion.

13. GSJ1977

Jul 6, 2012
    #1853 GSJ1977, Jul 26, 2012
    Daw, that's cute.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and clarify: calling a stated opinion/critique "lies" is an odd way to go about disagreeing with it.

14. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Well, I completely disagree with you here.

Caution: May be spoilers below!

Terrible writing? I found there to be only one or two lines that I found cheesy, the rest was solid.

No character motives?! Excuse me, but did you see Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, there
    Is plenty of backstory in those films that may be necessary in order to enjoy TDKR thoroughly...

If by no motives you're talking about Bane ravaging Gotham city for no reason, he was continuing Ra's Al Ghul's wish to "purify" Gotham.

I think Bruce Wayne definitely had some interesting character developments, he's a bit arrogant when he first dons the suit after 8 years, but then he learns he lesson when Bane comepletely owns him. Then he refocuses, learns some new things and rises again.

I could see if you think Bane had no character development. He's Bane. Did you really except him to have character development?

Catwoman was portrayed very well by Anne Hathaway, IMO.

Let's see... Oh yes, your point about CGI action... So your type of movie is like Battleship or Transformers or even The Avengers, where people/things/cars/everything SMASHES across the screen BAM BAM BAM for half of the movie so much that it leaves you feeling too disoriented to even remember if the film had any plot?

I'll have Christopher Nolan's idea of action any day.

You say "things were left totally unexplained"... What things? Maybe if you listed a couple of them I'll explain them to you.

15. GSJ1977

Jul 6, 2012
    #1855 GSJ1977, Jul 26, 2012
    When people talk about "the writing" they aren't just talking about the quality of individual lines. Some of the individual lines in TDKR were pretty good IMO, especially the handful of jokes.

"You missed a spot" and "[if there's no money to steal] then why are you here" made me LOL. So did a couple of others. No, I was talking about the script taken as a whole.

If anyone wants to explain the motives of Bane and that French tart, I'm all ears. And BTW, aiming to complete someone else's work isn't a motive, it's an objective.

Yes I saw Batman Begins and Dark Knight though I don't remember much of them due to them being so, well, unmemorable. I do remember the League of Shadows, or whatever they were called.

Unexplained things... too many to even remember, let alone recount. IIRC at one point Batman inexplicably shows up to save Selina Kyle from thugs, for no discernible reason. Bane pulls Gordon's speech out of his arse and people apparently believe it (along with the rest of the unbelievable stuff he says). And what was the actual point in seizing control of Wayne Enterprises or whatever it's called? They just wanted Batman out of the way? But they know who he is and that he's retired and crippled. Ignoring that, there are much less convoluted ways they could have tried to draw out Batman. But perhaps in barking up the wrong tree and it's really about the French tart getting revenge or something? Revenge for BW killing the father she hated? Riiiight... that makes sense. Also, the fusion reactor... so Frenchy knew about it even before she was shown it? How? And her plan was to sleep with BW so that he would trust her enough to show it to her... except that she already knew about it... bleugh, my brain hurts already. What a mess of a plot. I could try to unravel it, but it's just not worth the effort because the film is shit even without the plot holes.

Oh and character development... the one I mentioned was Robin. I suppose you could add SK if falling in love with Batman counts as character development.

Baby needs me...

16. walsh06

You arent stating opinions though. You are stating facts and these facts arent true. Thats what Im saying.

Opinions: I didnt like the writing, I didnt like this version of Bane/catwoman, I didnt enjoy the ending.

Facts: There was no character development, Characters had no motives.

Your overall view of the movie is your opinion but your reasons for not liking it are facts that arent true. And going by your replies you clearly havent much of a reason for not liking it. Unless you just dont want anyone to know.

17. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    #1857 tygamr, Jul 26, 2012
    Dark Knight Rises spoilers below

It wasn't somebody else's work they were completing- it was their own work. The purpose of the League of Shadows is to purge the world of corruption and crime in order to bring balance and harmony to the world. They were both members of the League of Shadows (to a certain extent). While Ra's al Ghul was their leader, without him their goal is the same. It's their belief- something greater than one's self.

Them being unmemorable is your problem- and your opinion. I thought they were both memorable, the Dark Knight especially. If you hadn't seen the previous two movies (or forgot them), then there are definitely a lot of things you wouldn't understand. Not really a series you can jump into.

If I remember correctly, he was searching for her because he needed her help. To find Bane's hideout I think? The going to her to find Bane thing was kind of dumb, because he already knew that there was something somewhere in the sewers from information given to him by Blake and Gordon. I guess he wanted an exact location?

Well, Gordon was going to make that speech, but decided not to in front of the press- same papers and everything. Also, a lot of people doubted that what happened was true- Batman was their hero, and it seemed unlikely that he was responsible for all the crimes associated with him (Blake points these things out in the beginning).

Well, it wasn't Bane who wanted to seize control of Wayne Enterprises. It was Dagget (a business rival of Bruce Wayne), who Bane was 'working' for. It didn't have anything to do with Batman- just greed. The only things Bane wanted from Wayne Enterprises were the weapons, and the reactor. So yeah, Dagget didn't know that Bruce Wayne and Batman were the same person- he only wanted Wayne Enterprises.

She knew about it because it was her proposed project that she had invested in and wanted Wayne Enterprises to make a reality. He knew her for three years, and she was a member on the board for Wayne Enterprises. She didn't know that the reactor had been built until Bruce and Fox took her down to see it. If you paid attention to the dialogue...

You really ought to pay more attention. Most of the things you didn't understand were explained in the movie.

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Way to go about in a mature manner disagreeing with someone :rolleyes:

No, you stated "facts" that were incorrect. As Tygamr so eloquently points out, you need to pay attention to a movie before jumping all over to for not making sense.

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #1859 JBRUU, Jul 26, 2012
    The statement that one prefers CGI action over real, well done, believable stunts and clever camera work is just astounding. Feel free to your opinion, but...CGI started getting old 20 years ago after Jurassic Park.

20. GSJ1977

Jul 6, 2012
    Everything you posted I already knew - I did watch the damn movie - and none of it answers a single question I asked. I don't know how to ask them any plainer, and besides, typing long posts on an iPhone is a pain.