Movies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Brazilian Rider, May 17, 2010.

1. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Four films? Is one of the books going to be split or something? But yea, that's a tough choice. One the one hand, it'd be quite a long wait for the rest of the movies, but on the other, the books may ruin the movies for you. One of the reasons why I didn't like the movie as much as I had hoped was because I had already read the books, so I knew what was going to happen and I was always looking out for stuff they changed or left out :p Hm... I think you should read them.

Edit: Yep, looks like the last one is being split :p

2. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Yeah, I heard that Mockingjay will be split into two films.

Yeah, see that's what I don't want... to ruin the movies, lol. But then if I read them after I see the movies I'll feel like I'm just reading a novelization... *sigh*

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I read the books only after watching the first movie. Personally, I don't think they'll spoil the movies for me, because the movies get adapted on their way to the big screen anyway.

Reading the books I did feel slightly different towards the protagonists though...
    Book Katniss irritates me. Oh so much.

4. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Well, actually Movies are always a low-fi version of a Book,
    Reading the books after watching the movies will only enrich one's experience, Its way beyond "just reading a novelization"

If you think you need "help", you do! if you think you don't need "help", you so! :rolleyes:

5. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    This is very true... Thanks!

6. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    i look forward to the hobbit. even tho i think lord of the rings a few action shots should not of been added. one for sure is when the dude uses his shield as a skate board. blah.. anyhow, iv read the hobbit so many times as a kid.
    i hope he does it justice. lord of the rings iv only read once. so i was not totally disappointed from what i could remember of the book. even tho we all know the book's are better. and the movies always seem to dumb them down for some reason.

now there is one book i hope they never, ever try to put into a action film. vampire hunter D. iv read every single book that has been translated. another animation would be cool. audio book cool too, but please hollywood. do not try to ruin D's street cred. thanks in advance.

chris.

7. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    #1927 ninjackid, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    I finally got around to seeing The Prestige. Wow. Brilliant movie. Christopher Nolan is a genius!

So the ending basically meant that Angier still had one clone that was alive? Or they were all dead? Couldn't tell at that point...

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    This was definitely one of those films I had to look up answers for afterwards. Really great movie though.

Check this out: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482571/faq

Have you seen Memento?

9. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Awesome, thanks!

And no, I haven't yet! I really want to see it, though! Like I said, Christopher Nolan is one of my all-time favorite directors/writers. Genius.

10. P.T.

P.T. Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Top 5 Christopher Nolan Movies:

1. The Dark Knight
    2. Memento
    3. Inception
    4. The Dark Knight Rises
    5. Batman Begins

I love Nolan! He is in my top 5 favorite directors/writers. Is The Prestige worth watching? Does it match up with the five above? What is yours favorite five Nolan Movies? And where would you place the prestige?

11. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Solid list! I still have yet to see Memento but I would definitely say The Prestige is worth watching. I thouroughly enjoyed it.

12. P.T.

P.T. Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Memento is really great. The end is (as expected from Nolan) brilliant. This is one unique film. You will see why once you have seen and expierienced the whole movie. I will probaly pick up the prestige this weekend when I go uptown.

13. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Yeah, I've been meaning to get my hands on it! I'll definitely have to do that soon!

Cool, I'd like to hear your thoughts on The Prestige!

14. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    #1934 tygamr, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    The Prestige is good- I really enjoyed it. Been a while since I've seen it though. The ending was really depressing though-
    pretty much everyone loses.

15. P.T.

P.T. Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the spoiler -_-

16. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    I can't stand it when folks don't put spoiler tags...

17. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Sorry about that. Fixed it. Didn't really think it was much of a spoiler, but whateves.

18. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Why not just rank them all, youre only missing two one of which you havent seen...... But ya you have to watch the Prestige. Its the real Nolan at work rather than his Batman stuff (which I love but still prefer his own stuff).

And to ninjackid Im surprised that you say you love Nolan yet you hadnt seen two of his best films. And when he only has 7, 3 of which are one really, you hadnt seen much of him at all. But still I like that you are getting into him now.

19. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Yeah, I know... :\... I really only started getting into his films with his Batman trilogy, then I saw Inception and now The Prestige... All incredible movies. Now I just need to get my hands on Memento and Insomnia... Am I missing anything else?

20. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #1940 backtothis, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
    Total Recall bombed reviews just about everywhere. Most of this summer's films are seriously pretty disappointing. Oh well, The Bourne Legacy and The Campaign are coming out next week. Hope those turn out better. Not too many films left this summer.