Universal MTN - (by David O'Reilly)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 1, 2014.

1. hil

hil Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Germany
    #21 hil, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    The thing is, I kind of get it. On one hand it's a nice little idea to mock our hunger for simulation of life-games, on the other hand it's a statement, we're building farms and cities and transform the real world and many virtual ones and we feel that what we created will last, but in the end it's nothing compared to the scale and timelessness of mountains, they exist for billions of years and put everything we're creating to shame! What does it say? Be patient. Be humble. It's a lesson. It's art.
    On the other hand David O'Reilly does outstanding weird things and I hoped his "game" would be something far out there like his short film "The External World", a laughing out loud mind#### full of his typical glitches and rich in content. Well, it's not. It's the opposite, a calm and clear little piece if art that's just seems to be massive in scale but just imitates and is very ephemeral.

I'm going to buy it though. I really like his work and hope he does more of it. I've spent a lot of money on apps that weren't half as ambitious as everything he could come up with, even if it's just a simulation of a mountain. It's a dollar spent for a small piece of art of an outstandig artist.
    (Sorry, first post and english is not my first language!)

2. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    #22 bigjack66, Jul 1, 2014
    Well said. It's contemplation piece. It'll either appeal or not. Everything said above is so true. Mines must be a Scottish mountain though, cause it rains a lot, just like in Scotland.

3. MentolKase

MentolKase Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Was right about to buy it, then looked at the storage space...120MB? Yeah, can't do that via cellular. Oh well...would like imps from someone before I get to a wifi connection :)

4. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Is Enviro Bear more a game than MTN?

5. pinOi32

pinOi32 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2014
    ...It's a mountain.

6. PureRumble

PureRumble Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    "Features: No controls"

Haummm...

7. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    So if i just put the video of Sanuku in loop?

8. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

That wouldn`t work since I have only seen so far like 1% of the Game. If I don`t totally screwed it up there seem to be hidden Melody in the Game that I haven`t found yet. Hell I only found one so far and assuming how big the Game is if it comes to it Filesize there might be like a couple of different one that do different Effects.

Generally the Game seem to be one of those "Play the Game and find it out on your own what Secret might be hidden insight me" then actually one of those "Hey press Button A if you want to shoot me" Video Games.

Some might hate it, others might love it. Since it just a Dollar I see no harm in buying it to be honest since I have spent already this Week more then that for some Game were I felt that I had wasted my Money for getting nothing in return.

9. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    A couple hundred million at most. Which is why I won't buy this. I want a real mountain sim. 50 hours, pshaw!

10. hil

hil Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Germany
    I can confirm that music seems to have an affect on the mountain. Just an idea: Has anyone tried the melody the boy in his short film "The External World" plays on the piano yet?

11. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    So far all I've really found is that playing random notes really quickly makes the mountain spin faster and time progress faster.

12. bigjack66

Aug 5, 2013
    Since I have the musical talent of a lobotomised chimp, then no! The stuff you put in the squares at the beginning do seem to have an affect on how the mountain is generated, so give it some thought and no just watching the video will do. It does require some interaction. But as I said some people will get it and others won't just like every other app on the store.

13. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Finland
    Awesome

14. lanights

lanights Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Reminds me of Curiosity in a way, minus the constant tapping of tiles.

15. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    #35 orangecan, Jul 1, 2014
    Ditto.

So far I'm not convinced it's anything more than a glorified screen saver but I'm intrigued enough to keep at it for a bit longer to see if it gets any kind of depth.

Doesn't run very smoothly on the touch 5th gen unfortunately. Fairly slow and jerky and occasionally unresponsive.

Definitely worth a go for the price tho, I'm hoping it grows on me because It has a certain something....

16. chainsawash

chainsawash Member

Feb 12, 2010
    English IS my first (and only) language and I had to look up what 'ephemeral' meant! Very well written retrospective of the app.

17. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  18. !nsomn!ac

!nsomn!ac Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Its like watching paint dry =D

19. bigjack66

Aug 5, 2013
    Works fine on my 5th gen pod have you tried rebooting? Is your iOS up to date?

20. bigjack66

Aug 5, 2013
    Tisn't!