My iTunes account was hacked $90+ gone.... Help!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by PRE, Feb 13, 2012.

1. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    True. You need the card itself for the security code on the backside.

2. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #22 kzwen, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
    Mine got hacked before, sometime last year. One night, everything was fine and the next morning, my credit disappeared. Just a few cents left. The hacker bought PvZ hd, Fruit Ninja hd and a bunch of chinese apps. Luckily I do not have my credit card linked, simply used itunes credit. Emailing Apple works, I sent in the purchases which I did not make and the total cost was refunded in a few days. They will also reset your password again. Takes a few email (3-4) but everything is alright after. Apple is pretty nice about this.

3. mrholder

mrholder Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I'm taking my credit card info off of itunes. It's not a debit card, but I had to use a credit card to sign up for itunes match (which definitely wasn't ready for public release).

Thanks for the heads up. I've always been concerned about having my itunes money stolen. Itunes has asked me to reset my password before because they suspected I had been hacked. That made me kind of leary.

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I think dad put MasterCard in my finnish account and I'm definitely taking it off of iTunes! :|

5. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Finally I can log back in again. iTunes must have had some server problems this morning. I'm glad to see that no money has gone. I have made my password stronger and removed my debit card details for the time being, just in case.

6. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Wow, after reading this, I just realized that my account is hacked too.
    Two days ago I have to reset my password because all of a sudden there's something wrong with my old password.
    I realize it when I try to enter Game Center (which I rarely do) and suddenly the problem occurs with the password.
    Just wondering, is it possible that it is hacked by Game Center?
    Well, luckily I check iTunes daily, so quickly changes password and there was no money taken.

7. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    wow, scary stuff that so many people's accounts are getting hacked.

just today i was reading on pocketgamer about the phishing scams and the bot/hacked accounts.

8. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #28 Teknikal, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
    I read a good bit about this a couple of months back, I think they are selling other peoples credit basicly in China the main way seems to be through huge IAP's through a variety of freemium type apps, from what I've read it's my belief they are actually hacking the accounts on apples servers so there is nothing we can do personally to defend against it and apple don't acknowledge the problem at all.

Basicly Apple has it's head in the sand or just doesn't care because they get their 30% either way, well actually they have done something they have added a clause so IAP's aren't their problem and take it up with the developer instead.

My advice is don't keep credit unused and keep your credit card delinked from itunes.

9. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    this is really creepy. but i guess also very logical, as there's a lot of money lying inside apple's servers and apple is probably easier to hack than major retailers like ebay, or online banks.

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I haven't been hacked, but it's about time I changed my password. It's not a bad one, just hasn't been changed for quite some time.

Done.

11. warcrack

warcrack Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    TA
    Some security reasons :
    1.Use your email Only for ITunes ,do not post on other sites and forms.
    2.Use another user name not the same that used in email.
    3.Use only yours personal computer,iPhone ,iPad,iPod and Mac.

12. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Sensible precautions but sadly don't make the slightest difference if they are taking the info from Apple's servers. You can have a 30 character password and it won't help.

I'm thinking there is some kind of exploit where they can reset the details as a lot of hacked accounts have their info slightly changed.

13. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    +1 on that
    i don't think hackers go for individual accounts no more. they probably go attack the main system itself.

14. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I agree with that. I had one of those strong passwords with cap letters, numbers and such yet it still got hacked.

15. r2ks8x

r2ks8x Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    scary stuff going on in this thread i am now cautious on seeing reviews on games

16. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    Just bumping this thread to warn people that this app (-Kingdom Conquest-) is still "at large" and attacking unsuspecting users, as I got wacked for a couple of in app transactions for it this morning. (And like the others, I'd never downloaded it or even HEARD of it before.)

My guess is Apple must know all about it by this point, because they agreed to give me a full refund within about a minute after I started the chat with a representative.

Time to get me set up with an iTunes-only e-mail and password to use for the future, methinks! ;)

17. Sakic10

Sakic10 Member

Feb 27, 2012
    My account was also fleeced for $75 for this -kingdom conquest- game. No way they guessed my password so it had to have been something else, not sure who to point fingers at. I only work off my iPhone most of the time, and don't go around clicking links and yet this still somehow happens. Funny it's always for the same game no?

iTunes password reset is a joke, all it needs is your birthday and a question and they let you change it like that. They should have to receive an email first! Or at least confirm.

Either way, Apple refunded me. Nothing like ***hole thieves taking advantage of people cause they can't make it in the real world.

18. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    I've read awhile back that the Kingdom Conquest game had a bunch of hidden microtransactions anyone could accidently click.

19. Sakic10

Sakic10 Member

Feb 27, 2012
    I never downloaded it, or even had heard of it. Just got an email saying it was downloaded to my account from a computer that isn't registered to my apple id (why they can even do that is beyond me, what's the point of registering computers then?) and then they sent me the receipts.

I still haven't even downloaded the game to check it out, I feel I will just get frustrated.