My Top 20 Board Game Conversions to iOS

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by sizzlakalonji, Jan 25, 2013.

1. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    If you check my list, Pandemic: The Fourth Seal is #7 on my list!

2. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    #42 currymutton, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
    My List (both board and card):

Ascension: excellent tutorial, fun and variable (luck?) gameplay, excellent async mechanism, polished UI, tons of other players much better than me, but desperately need in-game chat;

Carcassonne: excellent tutorial, fun and challenging gameplay (both AI and human), polished UI, tons of other players much better than me, in-game chat, but desperately need a rematch button;

Penny Arcade: same as Ascension above, just lighter and more carzier fun;

Fluxx: same as PA but even lighter;

San Juan: less hard to take up than Ascension, has a lot of potential, but lack of async is killing my game time on it;

Magic 2013: do I need to say more? It cannot have async play but I am still visiting it from time to time in spite of its gigantic installation size;

Assassin's Creed: same as above with extraordinary gameplay mechanism;

Stone Age board game: still waiting for it to go universal. Easy to learn for an economic-themed game, but the async turnaround time is too slow;

Catan: first love, but becomes distant due to lack of async;

Samurai: easy to pick up, exciting to play, great async feature, but heck I am very poor at it;

Lost Cities: my choice of RK favorite after Samurai;

Battle of Bulge: (can it be classified as board game?) It has everything good as any Playdek conversions, and also desperately need in-game chat and scenario variations;

Le Havre: still struggling to learn how to win it, but the game is fun and complex and may be the best economic-themed game you can find on iOS;

Summoner's War: another Playdek gem, I like wargames and i wish there are more AI and players out there.

Honorable mentions:
    Can't Stop (it really needs async MP, I don't like playing with AI all the time);
    VG Titan HD: the design reminds me of the 1980's design, but where is the zoom button?
    RK's Kingdom: very much like Ra but it demands more tactical elements in it;
    Café International: this one is a bit too new in my collection, I have only played one game on it to be sure.

Still struggling to learn:
    Dominate Species;
    Kingdom Builder;
    Elder sign Omens;
    Caylus;
    T&E.

3. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Nice list, Currymutton!

4. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Dang I forgot lost cities I love it, just wish it was universal.

5. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I don't have too many board games, but I plan to fix that. (I only just got into board games within the past 4 months)

Out of the ones I have...

Ascension: After playing the physical version I immediately picked up this version and eventually got all the dlc. It's an amazing game.

Carcassone: Production values are banging, though the game itself is decent.

New World Colony: Haven't gotten Catan yet but this is a very similar game with the exception that you can attack the other players. Very fun.

Bang!: Very minimalistic but still a fun exciting game

Puerto Rico: Haven't played too much of it, but I hope to soon. Should hold me over until the release of Agricola

Penny Arcade: Plays like a combo of Ascension and Dominion, pretty good.

Tikal: Pretty thought provoking game, I wish it was optimized a bit better, but core gameplay is fun.

Fluxx: Madness! Very little strategy, but still fun nonetheless

I hope to pick up:
    Ticket to Ride
    Small World
    Catan
    Lost Cities
    The Forbidden Island
    Kingdom Builder
    Elder Sign Omens

6. the9quad

Apr 27, 2011
    If you like elder signs you, don't sleep on phantom leader. It's awesome. It's kind of minimilastic in it's presentation, but the missions are so awesome and with real world hardware it is easier to strategize then elder signs and ghost stories, very fun and well worth 15 endless runners or 15 of the latest retro crapfest rpg's TA forums are always abuzz with. Yes $15 is steep, but not really when you really think about it. It's a niche game after all. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

7. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Oh, my bad. I usually just read the contents of posts and skip the author parts, so I have a grasp of what was said, but not who said what...

8. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    This is more than likely my next purchase.

9. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    In the mean time, saving up for this one...

10. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I am a sinner to miss out Shadow Era, fun as Magic but heck, the ever-changing rules and lack of real campaign let me down. This goes also to the honorable mention.

I am looking at the Pandemic, ah, it also need to go universal...

11. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I desperately need another player to play constantly on this: drop me a game if you don't mind.

12. the9quad

Apr 27, 2011
    What's your Game Center I.D.?

13. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    griffin611

14. battletictactoepro

Jan 29, 2013
    These are the games I currently played for ios boardgame:
    Caylus => a lot of strategy with no luck factor.
    Stone Age => this game is very addictive and I played it a lot. I love to play in the game center.

15. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    I need a suggestion guys.
    I'd like to buy Puerto Rico but, reading almost everywhere, is not for a first timer like me who never played the physical version before. You agree?
    Now i'm playing Collapsible D, Elder Sign and Forbidden Island, and some other card games. Could you suggest me some good title not so much complicated? Thanks very much!

16. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    #56 iPadisGreat, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    San Juan is supposed to be the card game version of Puerto Rico. I went through the ingame tutorial and was able to grasp it immediately.

Caveat: I have not played Puerto Rico yet, even though it is sitting on my iPad...

As for simpler boardgames:

Café International
    Can't Stop
    Journey of Fortune: Dragon's Fire
    Kamate
    Miles Bournes Tintin
    Reiner Knizia's Battleline
    Reiner Knizia's Keltis HD
    Reiner Knizia Kingdoms
    Reiner Knizia's City of Secrets Skyline HD
    Roll Through the Ages
    Scotland Yard
    Small World
    Ticket to Ride

17. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I would second San Juan if you're interested in Puerto Rico but concerned about the difficulty. It kind of gives the feel in a VERY stripped down fashion. If you love San Juan, it might be worth taking the plunge on Puerto Rico.

18. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Thx iPadisGreat and sizzlakalonji for the suggestions! ;)

19. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    This is a great thread. I just picked up The Jam based upon it showing up on a couple of Top 20 lists. I will post my own list when I get home from work, but wanted to pop in and say that Lost Cities and Cafe International are two of my favorite games that seem to have less multiplayer interest than some of the others on these lists.

I always welcome game invites for Lost Cities, Cafe International, and many other board and card games. I think I am GC friends with most of you. If not, feel free to send me a GC friend request and/or a game invite if we are already friends.

20. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I hope if they make Lost Cities universal, that they make it play in landscape. I hate playing iPad games in portrait.

Cafe International, I don't really care for. It's well done, just not my cup of tea.