Universal Mysterious Castle (by Jeremy Jurksztowicz)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eclectocrat, Sep 22, 2011.

1. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    wow. i really like that your so involved in making your game shine. most devs release a game, then do nothing after.

i really can't say how much i am enjoying this! I keep getting whipped, but i keep coming back for more. i already played through 2 full batteries on the ipad, and cannot get enough.

this is in my top 20 iphone games of all time, and i own over 1000 games.

2. Grungebob

Grungebob Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    This app crashes for me right at the title screen. Really want to try it after having downloaded it.

3. eclectocrat

eclectocrat Active Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Version 1.5 has very large memory usage, version 1.6 is currently being reviewed by Apple and should go a long way to fixing that. In the meanwhile you need to close as many apps as possible before running Mysterious Castle, or you may need to hard reboot your iPad by holding down the power button until the iPad shuts off. The game can definitely run if you clear up enough memory.

Thanks for the purchase, good luck, and let me know of any other problems you may encounter.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    My bad, I posted this before I properly learned how to save the game, and was merely losing the unsaved game in progress.

Played with this a bit more over the weekend and it's still great! I especially love how you have full control over how the game is generated so you can play an easy map to explore or a small map with a lot of people to fight...

5. Grungebob

Grungebob Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Ok, all good. I did shut down everything to get this playing. My impressions so far? Fantastic.

6. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Version 1.6 is out.

Per the app store:

"Much more efficient memory usage should eliminate crashes at load time and improve overall performance. Also includes enhanced combat round management, new creatures including ancient vampires and ghosts, and a simple help screen."

Hopefully many of the low reviews on the app store will improve now.

7. eclectocrat

Mar 13, 2011
    Hey,

As you can see 1.6 is out for iOS, and what you can't see is that 1.7 is out for intel Macs. I've decided to stagger the releases so that the desktop version will always be 1 version ahead of the iOS version, just to avoid introducing bugs. It's a long process to update on the App Store and I want the versions to be squeaky clean. Version 1.7 introduces some more terrain features, like gravesites and crypts.

What I'd like to know is, what features do you want to see? I'm working on zoom as per request, but what else?

Some possibilities include:
    1. More terrain types.
    2. More indoor environments.
    3. More monsters.
    4. Larger map.
    5. An actual story.
    6. More spells abilities.
    7. Economy.

Etc, etc... Obviously my goal is to incorporate all of the above eventually, but what features/improvements would you like to see?

Thanks for playing!

8. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Bought it, I will give it a try.

9. sacley

sacley Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    This looks very interesting but do you lose all progress if you died? I'd really like to try this if you dont lose everything...

10. eclectocrat

Mar 13, 2011
    You can save the game outside of combat, and reload whenever you want, you won't lose any progress. Swipe down to show the options screen and double tap save.

11. sacley

sacley Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Thanks, thats great! Off to download now :)

12. sacley

sacley Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    It says that item is temporarily unavailable now... Will try again later!

13. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    1. More areas to explore would be my top request. One of the big draws for a Roguelike is the feeling that it's endless. Dungeons could play an important role in that.
    2. Weapon variety and uniqueness (which feeds into the economy). That's the main reason people play the genre, is to get kewl gear. Diablo, for instance, is a slot machine.
    3. Spells and abilities to better classify heroes into archetypes.

I've been playing primarily on iPad 2, but I put in some time on the iPhone 4, and my opinion is that it doesn't really need zoom at all (even though I'm a huge fan of PHD). Not saying you shouldn't add it, but I just don't want you to assume it's a must-have for everyone.

I could probably come up with some interface usability requests, but I'll have to put some time in on the new version.

Thrilled to hear that you plan continued updates, because I really think you have a winner here. Hopefully more people will pick it up to help fund that effort. There's a whole slew of Roguelike junkies here that I haven't heard much from on this thread...

14. dension

dension Member

Sep 26, 2011

15. mekanikal fiend

Sep 9, 2010
    the game is already great. i've played over 8 hours now. its randomized dungeon crawling. if you like the genre, your doing yourself a disservice by not trying it out.

the reason that it got such bad reviews is that other players (who didnt read the forum here) couldn't figure out the controls. the newest update made a help menu. the game plays fine as is, if you know how to control it.

16. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    I would like 1 and 4 from your list, as well as having a larger party of characters to control (4 or 5 characters some day) :)

I understand all of features you listed take time and I really appreciate your commitment to improving the game.

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'd love a scored perma-death survival mode!

18. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Co-signed.

I haven't had a chance to play the game yet though, honestly. Hopefully this weekend...

19. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Yep, on Game Center

20. mekanikal fiend

Sep 9, 2010
    i finally managed to win one. took lots of reloads, and i never found the heal spell, but i destroyed the necromancer boss with two consecutive critical attacks!

i found a +3 battleax that leeched hp. great run! love this game!!