Universal Mysterious Castle (by Jeremy Jurksztowicz)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eclectocrat, Sep 22, 2011.

1. eclectocrat

eclectocrat Active Member

Mar 13, 2011
    FIRST RECORDED WIN! As far as I know you have the only win aside from myself!

I'm glad you like the game. I'm working furiously on the next update, it's going to be big..

2. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Nice.

It's absolutely thrilling everytime one manages to decimate a group; to win the game, that's gotta be awesome. :)

3. birkoss

birkoss Member

Oct 3, 2011
    During the loading screen, it crashed on my iPod 4G (But it work on my iPad 2)

Any ideas how to fix it ?

4. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    you think it would be possible to name your characters? i made 2 humans and it gets kind of confusing.

can't wait for the update. any hints of what to expect?

5. eclectocrat

Mar 13, 2011
    Yep. Close a lot of apps, or reboot your device. Mysterious Castle is a memory hungry bugger.

As far as hints of the future, I'm revamping the map system to allow worlds at least 100x larger than the current one. I won't guarantee that the first update will be so large, but it's moving in that direction.

I'll look into naming and changing character colours. I'm dreading programming the virtual keyboard for some unknown reason. Suppressed childhood virtual keyboard trauma?

6. illustranaut

illustranaut Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Graphic Designer & illustrator
    Sat at my laptop
    Game Impressions

This game is amazing, been playing it on and off for the past couple of weeks and just managed to give the necromancer 'the spanking he deserves' :) I seriously hope you continue to develop it as what you're proposing sound like like my idea of heaven and it's already one of the few IOS games i've wanted to complete.

Here's a couple of things that might be handy/nice in a future update:

1) being able to stand on tiles that have a dead enemy on them and also being able to pick up from said, dead enemy whilst on tile.

2) Link to the other character inventories via currently selected characters inventory, sometimes you may need to swap items and cant see if recipient inventory is full.

3) Terrain to take advantage of currently unused stats, climb etc.

4) Ability to sell and buy items in a village shop.

5) A tavern or similar where you can get quests/swap party members

6) Multi-level buildings

7) More dungeons

8) More enemy types

9) More terrain features

10) Other characters, maybe a race that can cast druid like spells and make stat enhancing poultices. You pick herbs/plants and combine to make spells/poultices

11) Definitely the option to name characters and have a couple of different versions of the same race, that way you could have multiple race parties and not get confused which character was which.

12) Perma-death but integrated into a difficulty setting so gamers can play the game as it is now.

13) sleep or camp to regain health. Food and water dependancy so over time you get weaker and not be as effective physically if you're starving.

14) Ability to run and outpace enemies which will decrease your strength/energy.

Overall the game is really well balanced as it is and only needs some more feature to make it more awesome.

So, in essence after much rambling this game is awesome, I hope you make it awesomer and get the serious recognition it deserves. It's a game any roguelike fan should have on IOS, heck it's a game any RPG fan should own, Hell, no it's a game that every one who breathes should own. EVERYONE, BUY THIS GAME NOW so Electocrat can increase the awesomeness :D

7. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    When is the iPad version due?

8. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    How dio I refresh these spells? Can't seem to figure it out. Unless, new tomes are required every time you want to "learn" a spell.

9. illustranaut

illustranaut Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Sat at my laptop
    You need to collect mushrooms, the amount you need for each spell is marked in blue above each component, for instance to make a Bolt spell you need 1 black and 1 red, if you have enough (see the number in black below the 'shroom) then just tap bolt, and it will appear below in the 'readied spells' section, you can tap on this if you change your mind and it will redisribute the 'shrooms back. Once you learn a spell from a tome, any of your spellcasters can make that spell, provided they have the required mushrooms. Hope that helps? :)

10. illustranaut

illustranaut Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Sat at my laptop
    Having withdrawals after completing the iphone on normal setting (*no one in the village recognises my heroic endeavours though :( ). I need more Mysterious Castle goodness so I've cranked up the Mac version to largest size and hard. *scared*

11. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    When is your new version 1.8 planned to be released on IOS?

12. eclectocrat

Mar 13, 2011
    Long answer:
    I'm just putting the finishing touches on now, I hope to upload to the iOS store in a day or two. Everything was delayed because I was prepping a Windows version for simultaneous release, but programming on windows has got me pulling my hair out! The windows version will still come out eventually, but I'm completely dedicated to the iOS version now.

Short answer:
    Soon.

13. illustranaut

illustranaut Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Sat at my laptop

Hehehe Short reply: yay! :)

14. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I'm looking forward to seeing where you've taken things with the next update. This is easily one of the most intriguing RPGs I've played, although as of now it feels like it's missing something...hard to explain what exactly, but really it feels more like I'm just playing in a (really really dangerous) sandbox than trying to accomplish anything really specific. That said, I love the uniqueness of this title and there is a ton of potential here.

15. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    can't wait. been waiting for the update before i beat it again (hopefully :D)
    love this game!!!!

16. illustranaut

illustranaut Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Sat at my laptop
    I share those sentiments exactly... Seriously can't wait :D

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    This looks amazing. The screenshot pretty much had me sold, so I instinctively started worrying that this might turn out to be another pretty but souless game that ultimately gets abandoned before it ever really comes to life. Judging by the comments so far... this is not the case. Downloading the Mac version first but I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up the iOS one soon enough :)

18. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Love this game; can't wait for the update.

19. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I read though the thread, has a hall of fame been implemented yet?

Also, I like the earlier suggestion of a high score, perma death mode.

20. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It sure does crash a lot.

I second wanting to be able to swipe from one character screen to another. At least when not in battle.

Also, it would be nice if a lot of the buttons would activate when you tap them, instead of having to tap twice. I assume this has to do with the port from a mouse-based interface.