Universal Mysterious Castle (by Jeremy Jurksztowicz)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eclectocrat, Sep 22, 2011.

1. eclectocrat

eclectocrat Active Member

Mar 13, 2011
    OMG! I really messed that up! You're only supposed to upgrade once! Ok, time to fix that! I recommend throwing those weapons out because they totally break the game! How did I overlook that?

As far as the bug is concerned... SORRY! :(
    I guess you'll have to revert the game (in the main game menu select the broken game and press revert once, you should see one if the little white 'pips' disappear). If you are feeling generous you can go into the game files using iTunes and download it and email it to me, the top save slot is named saveA, followed by (of course) saveB and saveC.

I'll get right on fixing it. Again, sorry for the trouble.

2. AlteaineDranix

AlteaineDranix Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    #102 AlteaineDranix, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
    .. Oh. So I suppose my defeating the Necromancer doesn't really count since I used those weapons. At least I got the nicer game-breaking glitch on my first playthrough. XD

As for other bugs, there are times when I take stat books from chests and they disappear after their icon appears near the bottom of the screen. They just never appear in my inventory at all. I can't exactly replicate it, but it's happened several times. It only affects stat books as far as I can tell, though. Never weapons, armor or spell books.
    It might also be just me, but sometimes the map is a bit inaccurate, such as showing gaps where there are solid "walls". I'm relatively certain that there isn't a hidden area behind them, since one of the times it happened was when I was right beside a cave's edge.

I know I made the mushroom regeneration suggestion before, but I'd also like to extend that to enemies and fruits. It's more fun to traverse territory you've gone through before if there's always the chance that you'll find enemies where you thought them exterminated.
    I've noticed that the stat books come with a description as to what stat they increase. Having the description also say how the stat specifically affects combat would be grand, however. Things like strength, dexterity and intelligence are usually easy to figure out, but I'm not too sure what sneak, spot, dark vision, climb and such do.
    A more minor thing is that I think it would be rather more intuitive if pop-up text boxes don't disappear as soon as you tap the screen. An ideal sequence for me would be: talk to NPC/pop-up text box appears, tap to completely display all text, tap end button to close the text box.

Overall, this has joined the really short list of games that I can become completely absorbed in. I was playing this the entire evening and I didn't realize it was past midnight. Lovely work and I'm looking forward to the updates planned for 2.0.

3. Nicoquipi

Nicoquipi Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Sorry, i already deleted it and started a new game, but if i find any other strange bug ill email it

4. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    any chance you can lower the firmware requirement back to 4.2.1? it used to work before the update

5. eclectocrat

Mar 13, 2011
    I would love to, but the almighty ones at Apple won't let me downgrade! I wanted to test on iOS 5 before I shipped the latest update, but after the 'upgrade' I can't revert back down!! Not only that, but all my development tools had to be changed to XCode 4.2, which I think is worse than the version I was using before.

I'm pretty pissed that Apple won't let me downgrade to an old iOS version, even though I have a developer account.

Sorry :(

6. eclectocrat

Mar 13, 2011
    In development news:

[​IMG]

The next version will allow you to design levels or piece of levels and share them! Well, sort of. The editor is only for desktop (win/mac), but the levels can be uploaded to an iOS device to play there.

7. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    When I saw your editor on your website I was really hoping we could use the editor on IOS devices. Could the editor be eventually ported over?

8. eclectocrat

Mar 13, 2011
    Eventually It'll be usable on iPad at least, but I think the screen size is too small for iPhone/iPods. I'm not ruling anything out. Right now two of the major problems is that the editor uses a lot of memory, and a lot or right-clicks and key modifiers, I'm not really sure how to port that over.

The main purpose of the editor was for me to design more elements to put into the game, especially castles, considering the title of the game there is a real lack of them right now! Only after I got well into it did I realize that people might want to design and share their own levels, so making it work on iOS was kind of an afterthought.

Regardless, I'll try to respond to what players want, and if there is enough interest in an iOS editor, then I'll try to reduce it's memory footprint and port it over, although I doubt it will ever work on a device with less than 512MB of memory (no iPod 4G or iPad 1).

9. ReddestDream

ReddestDream Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Student
    NC, USA
    iPad Only . . .

If you do decide to port the editor to iOS, please don't make it iPad only. The iPhone 4 and 4S have enough RAM to meet your stated requirements. Some of us can make due with a smaller screen and a possibly clunkier (yet functional) interface, either by necessity or preference, even if you don't think you can! Love your work! Thanks! ^_^

10. AlteaineDranix

Nov 8, 2011
    I just read the developer blog and it's great to see that the are plans to clean up the UI, flesh out the world and offer explanations to in-game terms that may seem unclear to some people [like me]. The list of features in the works looks massive and I really, really hope they all come to fruition. Some of them are things I have never even seen and I'm looking forward to it.

11. gabikun

gabikun Active Member

Jan 22, 2012
    This is a great game! Even if it's still in develop state. Keep the great work!!

Here is a suggestion: let some lesser creatures like kobolds wear rare equipment sometimes (even at low chance). I was tired to kill kobold parties to find normal gear everytime.

12. Marcus70

Dec 7, 2010
    When is version 1.9 coming out on IOS? Thanks in advance!

13. eclectocrat

Mar 13, 2011
    Hi Marcus!

I'm going to let 1.9 be beta tested for about a week, to weed out any nasty bugs. I already have it running on my iPod 4g, but I think the memory use has gone up a bit, so I'm going to try and shave some memory off wherever I can.

I'll release it as soon as I'm confident it will work right.

Regards,
    Jeremy, aka eclectocrat

14. Marcus70

Dec 7, 2010
    #114 Marcus70, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
    Thanks for the reply. I keep reading your blog to see all of the terrific stuff your doing. Keep up the good work! :)

EDIT: Noted the developer submitted version 1.9 to the app store.

15. eclectocrat

Mar 13, 2011
    Wow, fast reaction Marcus70!

Yes! I've just submitted 1.9 to Apple, I hope they approve promptly. I'd just like to say that I haven't forgot about the iOS version, the reason that it's late compared to the desktop versions is that bugs on the iOS version are much more damaging than bugs on the desktop version, so I want to make sure that everything works well before I push the button on iOS.

Anyways, the latest versions is on par with the desktop versions, same features and so on. Once again, I recommend that you close as many apps as possible before playing. The game runs like a charm (crash free) on systems with enough free memory.

BTW, the generated castles are pretty darn cool! I'll post here again when Apple approves the update. Thanks a lot for all your patience!

16. eclectocrat

Mar 13, 2011
    1.9 is out!

Mysterious Castle 1.9 is finally out for iOS! Still not universal, but many, many usability enhancements, features, and bugfixes.

The biggest change is that castles are now generated. Please rememeber to close as many apps as possible before running the game, to avoid low memory crashes.

Hope you enjoy!

17. AlteaineDranix

Nov 8, 2011
    This is still the only game that genuinely startles me when I'm ambushed. Lovely to see an update and an improved UI; I haven't run into any castles yet, however.

18. Anctoh

Anctoh Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    I really didn't want to buy it because it was 3 dollars; but I did. It looked REALLY good. Will post impressions soon.

19. dexx0008

dexx0008 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Going to pick this up. Can't wait to get a free couple hours

20. Anctoh

Anctoh Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Can't even play the game, it says 'select up to 3 characters'

Nothing happened when I got 3 characters, then I chose the max amount of characters and I still can't start it. Wtf am I supposed to do?!