Mystery of the Japanese Werewolf $.99 --> Free

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by awp69, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I'm not. It's getting great download numbers, according to the developer. If this makes the game more popular, then that's awesome.

2. Sri Ram

Sri Ram Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Great game, definitely unique platformer:D

I ran into a bug though,not a big deal, but at the beginning where the jump control is explained, I lost the bg music(every time) ,I was able to get it back by toggling the music setting.

And if I may suggest something, I would say that the outdoor/natural backgrounds could be more "retro" visually. Currently they look hand drawn with a photoshop sketch filter on. Something that's as awesome as the foreground elements in terms of style might make it look even better. It doesn't affect the game much but was something that my eye was drawn to.

Anyways,I look forward to the next game,and to supporting you! :)

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    At first, I had the same thought when you compare it to a lot of the 8-bit style games that have come out of late. I actually didn't realize that some of the foreground elements were actually platforms (particularly the fence type things).

But once I got used to it, I actually really like it now. It's got a retro look, but the way it's done is so crisp and vibrant that it looks feels both fresh and retro at the same time. And the result is great. Just my opinion.

4. hotbarlo

hotbarlo Well-Known Member

Hey, guys!

3000 downloads yesterday and I'm getting into a few top 100's. Pretty cool.

I'm actually redrawing a few backgrounds. I think the BGs on the water and forest levels are not on par with the others.

Tell me if I understand things wrong, Sri Ram, but in the first spaceship room, the music actually plays only once when the game is starting. It's a silent room if you comeback to it. Is that you are talking about?

This is a room I let without music to make an "YOU ARE SOMEWHERE WEIRD" drama.

5. waxandwane

waxandwane Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    This game simply rocks! It's quite unexpected actually :) the 5 first minutes got me in with the nonsensical story, then the gameplay did the rest of the job: I'm sold! I'll leave a review once I'm deeper in the game ;)

6. Sri Ram

Sri Ram Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah,I'm talking about the first spaceship room, the music stopped after the " that is so weird" dialogue, now I understand it was intentional BUT when the music stops,and if you go into the options screen and toggle the Music setting once, the music starts again in this room which was supposed to be silent.

I thought that the music stopping all of a sudden was weird(you nailed the drama hehe) but I kinda missed the music and assumed that it could be a bug, hence the attempt to turn it back on(and toggling the setting brought the music back on, even if the room was meant to be silent)

Anyways,it's no biggie at all, and it's great to hear about new BGs, any chance you could tell us when the update could be expected?:D

7. hotbarlo

Hahah, that's an interesting bug! I think I should work a little on that music, it stops too suddenly.

About the BGs update... I really don't know. Since Apple resets the review counter each new update, I may try to leave the current version for a little while to see if people will buy it...

Let's hope I get more sales! I really want to work on J-Werewolf for a long time! : )

Glad you liked it! : )

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    One of the best metroidvania iterations on the appstore. No doubt about that. Definitely worth paying for, and a steal now that it's free.

Pretty sad for a gem like this to go free though.

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Well, the dev seems pretty excited about the downloads/recognition it's getting since his sales had been dropping. So my hope is that this helps it get more sales down the road!

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    That's fine and all I guess, but it shouldnt have to go through being free if people would buy this game.

Unfortunately, like all reality, people will only buy it if it looks really good. Not everyone likes retro graphics so im pretty sure some people will "grafx r meh, me no buy."

I hate that kind of mentality.

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    It's also hard to get noticed no matter how good a game is with thousands of apps so this kind of thing may help in the long run, especially if sales had dwindled to nothing. That said it's a game that definitely deserves the money.

12. hotbarlo

It just reached top 200 (games overall), 33 in Games/Adventures. Maybe, with a little luck, it gets a little closer to the top, even if free, and then, MAYBE, a few review sites pay a little more attention to my next game. Right now, I'm counting on that!

Again, thank you guys for the kind words!

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah... I hope you make a name with J-Wolf so your next game will get much attention. Good luck dood! Looking forward to what your next game will be :)

14. hotbarlo

Hey, any of you guys are using an iPhone 4S? There's a guy complaining the game crashes on him all the time and I don't have access to one. Is that real? :(

15. skeerup

skeerup Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    No crashes here at all so far.

16. Vigram

Vigram Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Sri Lanka
    Mine keeps crashing too mostly when i tap the pause button :(

17. hotbarlo

Can you tell me if bluetooth in on or off? If you could list the options setting that are currently set I would thank you as well! : )

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    4S here. The game crashed on me once, but didnt know what happened. Never crashed since.

19. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    No crashes on my 3GS. Sounds like something specific to the 4s (oddly enough).

20. Vigram

Vigram Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Sri Lanka
    Bluetooth is Off.
    Using Classic (Large)
    Music is ON
    Sound Effects is ON
    Scanliness is ON

It even crashed once when i went to On the map.

I tried the game now and it didn't have any crashes but when i went to a new area the dialogue started and i tapped the top area and the game crashed again.

Btw using iOS 5.1