Universal N.O.V.A. 3 - Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance - (by Gameloft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, May 9, 2012.

1. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Is it me or does the iPad 2 version look better than the 3rd-generation iPad?

The depth of field on iPad 2 seems better to me!

Anyways...This will be amazing! :D

2. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Sanuku, looking at your videos, it seems really choppy on the iPhone 4 when looking at the iPad 3 video. Even the main menu seems to lag and the rotating world in the background is not smooth at all.

3. CosmosMan

CosmosMan Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Researcher/Teacher/Scientist
    Canada
    Missing Effects?

How about the fact that there is no motion blur, depth of field, heat waves or anything like that. Was it too much to do those at such a high resolution on the iPad 3?

Not happy if true as my backup is an iPhone 4. If it looks better on that I hope it doesn't become a trend until the processor is beefed up.

4. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
  5. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#125 Sanuku, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
    It`s not as worse as you made it look like. Sure it doesn`t run as smooth as the iPad 2/iPad 3 Version but it does till run with enough Frames that I can`t really say that it`s Laggy or worse on my iPhone 4.

6. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

It`s similar to Battlefield 3 Stuff. Easy to use, hard to Master.

7. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    Playing this on an iPhone 4, the game looks really gorgeous. The only thing I noticed was the long loading times between areas.

8. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Yeah saw that too. I wish they would go half the res+ all effects (like AA and such) than full res without all the nice goodies. Those heatwaves looked great...

9. Suicide_B0mb3r

Suicide_B0mb3r Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    what do you mean by depth of field?

10. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor. Don`t even think that the current build is yet tuned to run on the iPad 3 as good as it could be.

I am expecting an huge Update for the iPhone 4S/iPad 3 Device because the current Build does use in no Way the full potential.

Compare it to Infinity Blade II or even Dead Space. Their first Build looked like Shit on the newer iDevice and became pretty nice with the Upgrades that did followed.

11. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

12. CosmosMan

CosmosMan Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Researcher/Teacher/Scientist
    Canada
    Lame!

http://www.giantbomb.com/depth-of-field/92-5087/

The video showcasing the graphical effects goes through them all
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlkDuYIf3vc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I can't believe this. Why would they release that trailer. What device does it even run best on then? With those effects and a decent framerate?

13. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Gosh I hate those Shitheads from IGN and their Renaming of Trailers. Look if it comes to Mobil Gaming you never, ever should trust any Developer that explains in an Promo Trailer Graphic Effects on Mobil Devices without actually taking an Tablet and showing it Live at the same Time...

Telltale Games did showed us last Year what those Trailers are worth it.

My Point is:

Do you really believe that any of those Scene were actually directly recorded from an iDevice in that Trailer?!

Still the Engine is pretty Cool and we might see some nice Effects in the upcoming future if Gameloft actually tell their Dev Team to do their Work.

14. Reese015

Reese015 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    How is framerate on iphone 4 plz i need to know is it worse than nova 2 or kinda the same pl0x thx

15. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

the ipad 2 and the iphone 4s of course..

if you check sanukus video you see the ipad2 ones have all the effects shown in the effects showcase..

that the ipad 3 is not up to the task is pretty normal..

16. UmbraVir

UmbraVir Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Student
    CT
    Look at Sanuku's post on the first page...

Also, bless you sanuku for your videos. Your videos are always appreciated. They also confirmed my fears of the game being terribly unoptimized for iPhone 4. Gameloft is pushing way too hard on graphics and caring too little for performance, and this is affecting the gameplay. I can honestly say that the first NOVA and first two installments of Modern Combat were better than MC 3 on the iPhone 4. Despite MC3 being moderately playable, it wasn't very enjoyable because of the frame rate issues.

I don't find myself buying NOVA 3 in the near future.

17. refurb82

refurb82 Active Member

May 7, 2012
    Awesome so my old ipad2 would've been better for this game? Talk about a bummer. Back to mc3 I guess.

18. Dubstep

Dubstep Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    iphone 4s, 5.0.1 and the online is basically unplayable...incredibly laggy.

19. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Dude that`s not the first Time something like that happen and God only knows why Gameloft did go that Way because I would have expected them to rock the House with the Game on my iPhone 4S/iPad 3.

The Game is still Cool and I don`t regret that I had paid for it but... the iPhone 4S/iPad 3 really do need some more Love from Gameloft because the current Build wasm`t meant to be played on those two Devices.

20. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    lol, I gotta kick out of this.

4.5 out of 5 is a great rating. No game is perfect.