Universal N.O.V.A. 3 - Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance - (by Gameloft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, May 9, 2012.

1. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    You're looking at a video. I'm pretty sure that recording on an iDevice hurts the framerate more than it does a PC, which does horrible things to your FPS. Look at the iPad 3, for example. It's chugging infrequently, and stutters often.

2. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    So you guys are saying it's not going to work well on an iphone 4S?? Please correct me if I misconstrued what you said.

Anyway I have both the ipod touch 4G and iphone 4S. This is an instabuy for me ! Should run well on one of those devices.

3. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Am I really reading these posts right. This game is not running great on ipad3 and 4s. Wtffff

4. Dubstep

Dubstep Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    correct the online play is terrible on my 4s and no its not my internet connection

5. Johnny101

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    well regardless, I'm sure Gameloft will patch it, this game will be a huge seller for them. This game is too good not to instabuy.

You would think that this game would be optimized for the latest device, that is strange???

6. AppleFan12

AppleFan12 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    USA
    Sanuku, is this correct about the game not running smooth as it should on the iPad 3/iPhone 4S? :confused:

7. CosmosMan

CosmosMan Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Researcher/Teacher/Scientist
    Canada
    What device uses these effects or were they all fabricated in the trailers??

iPad 2?

8. Ratallideth

Ratallideth Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    It runs fine on the A5 devices, but it is not fully optimized.

9. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    So this uses an updated MC3 graphics engine, and the game runs worse even using an iPhone 4S/iPad 3.
    Am I the only one who thinks that this is a bit funny?

Anyway, Sanuku and Dubstep, does the game really run that bad?

10. Johnny101

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    #150 Johnny101, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
    It's very possible they might have to patch it.

Happened when Activision released Black ops zombies. Didn't run perfectly on an iphone 4S in the beginning. Then they updated it a couple times and now runs great.

11. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Knowing gameloft's track record if they release an update it may take half a year to arrive.

12. Ratallideth

Ratallideth Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Yeah, maybe that's why TA give it 4.5/5. Still, i use an iPod Touch 4g, the A5 problems don't really bother me :p Still a shame it's not optimized

13. Johnny101

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I use an ipod touch 4G also, so no biggie for me. I don't think any of this recent info should discourage anyone from buying. This game is going to kick butt !

14. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
    Can't wait. Thanks for the heads up.

15. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I imagine this game is primarily optimised for the iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.
    It took over a year to develop and these are the two most recent devices while in its last few months of development.
    None of the preview builds had the iPad 3 retina graphics so I'm not surprised it needs some further optimisations for it, after all, the iPad 3 is only out a couple of months.

With regards to the multiplayer lag on iPhone 4s, as long as the frame rate is solid and effects are present in the single player, the multiplayer won't be a problem.
    MC3 had terrible lag in multiplayer on any device when it first launched because the servers were simply not up to speed yet. I originally thought that my iPhone 4s and iPad 2 paired with 120 Mbps broadband couldn't be at fault, so ran some ping and server response tests and the problem was the servers on Gamelofts side were not responding quick enough.
    So sorta expected a lot of lag with this initially.
    MC2/MC3/NOVA 2/Silent Ops/Rainbow Six, all had lots of lag on launch day and for two or three days after that. The servers were simply unable to respond quick enough. But these problems were sorted quickly once the servers aligned themselves to the traffic. It's actually fairly common problem. Some companies just respond quicker than others.

16. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

It is running smooth but sadly not all Effects that you might see on the iPad 2 are also used on the iPad 3. I can only assume that the iPhone 4S might also miss a few Effects because Gameloft might have thought that going the save Way by turning a few of those Effects down would be a good Idea for whatever Reason it could have been.

As far as I can tell you the iPhone 4S/iPad 3 do indeed run the Game smooth but there are still a bunch of nasty Bugs left in the Game.

Respawn Points where you can`t move anymore as soon as you spawn at that Point because you get stucked in those during the Multiplayer Matches.

A Airplay Mode that probably wasn`t tested at all and just added from a different Game in believe it would work in the current Build as it should be.

The List of Bugs that are still in the Game isn`t dramatic but it`s still unacceptable because you don`t have to work at the Q&A Department to know if they are actually Bugs or Glitches or just a Feature that got completely messed up.

Overall the Game is still awesome in so many Ways but it does still piss me of that Gameloft did either didn`t give a Shit about testing it long enough or simple had a Deadline for it and did sent it out knowing that there are still Bugs in it that will get fixed over the upcoming Months.

At no Way the current Build (v1.0.0) can be compared to Nightmares like Jurassic Park/Telltale Games or Inotia 4: Assassin of Berkel/Com2Us or Infinity Blade 2/Chair.

N.O.V.A. 3 - Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance is for sure one of the best Games out there from Gameloft but...

...since Ubisoft/Gameloft are one of the leading Publisher/Developer on the Market I expect from them each Time I see a Release from them Popup on the iTunes Store something outstanding where I have to search for Hours to find a Bug and not already getting tired after two Hours of writing Notes what was messed up this Time.

17. felipaopl

felipaopl Member

Dec 15, 2010
    I can understand the missing effects on the iPad 3 since it's running at 4X the resolution than the iPad 2, but the iPhone 4, 4S AND the iPad 2 have the same resolution, no reason why the game should run worse on 4S.

18. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Out (at least in Spanish store).

19. elnombre

elnombre Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    01:18 am and no sign of it in the Netherlands store.

20. CosmosMan

CosmosMan Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Researcher/Teacher/Scientist
    Canada
    The iPhone 4 and iPad 2 are running these effects then? While the iPad 3 and iPhone 4S have been downscaled? Seems like the iPhone 4S could do it, and that the iPad 3 is the only one missing out due to the screen res bump.