N.Y.Z. -- zombies, weapons, trophies, awesome.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Oh, my bad, I just realized that it moves slightly, but not all over the screen. It looks reasonable, and it doesn't look cheap either way. Here's a quick video for you if you want to see it:

2. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Looks good, like a mini-House of the Dead.

3. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Any updates on this? I'm really looking forward to this game.

4. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Haha what a coincidence. Was literally JUST about to post an updated gameplay video.

We took community feedback and added 1st person weapon models :) I think you'll enjoy. Video will be up in about 10 minutes or so.

5. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    I can't find the video... the only one on the front page is the original one, not the updated trailer.

Sounds like it's coming together nicely, any idea on release date?

6. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#26 Foursaken_Media, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
    Updated gameplay video of one endless wave.
    We took community feedback and added in first person weapon models as well.

7. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Wow, adding models made the game look A LOT better. This game is gonna own when it comes out! Any ideas on length/price/release?

8. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Looks great. I don't feel like taking the time for the whole video to load, my internet is acting really slow, so I'll just ask a question:

How do the zombies behave? I dislike it when games try to make zombies to smart, or try to make them generally un-zombielike.

9. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    They're just regular ol' zombies, like the ones in the early Resident Evil games that just shuffle towards you until they get to you or you kill them. There seems to be some variety, such as the giant zombie in the video, but other than that they behave like normal zombies.

10. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#30 Foursaken_Media, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
    To answer your questions somerandomdude... we're probably looking at around 5 hours for single player. Of course this is extended massively if you're trying to unlock all the trophies, which we think most players will want to do (as mentioned before they arent your typical, lame and boring trophies). An endless playthrough (there are "save points" every wave, which last 1:30 each so you dont have to play it all at once) will probably on average last 15-25 minutes before a typical player will die, with a good time being 30+ minutes (each wave is custom designed with different enemies and events by the way, such as rain, sunsets, night, plane crashes, etc) -- of course we have an online leader board as well for endless mode to keep people playing, and we plan on having periodic "tournaments" where simply the highest ranked endless players will win itunes gift cards.

Price point will be $1.99 at launch and we're looking to submit the app somewhere around Feb 20th (though of course actual release date mostly depends on apple).

The FamousEccles: Basically what somerandomdude said. They try to get to you and kill you :) What we have is different enemy behaviors as the main "AI." One enemy type will resurrect near-bye zombies for ex but cannot attack; there are beast dogs that do a sort of "bull stomping foot thing" before charging in doing massive damage; leapers are quick and can be seen jumping literally across the entire map; ranged units throw hunks of meat at you from afar; cops shoot occasionally on the way towards close combat... things like this. But nothing overly complex -- generally speaking, they shuffle towards you and try to kill you :)

11. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Sounds awesome! For 2 bucks this sounds like a steal! It seems like the kind of game I'd get a lot of replay value from. Definetly going to pick this up as soon as it comes out.

12. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Glad to hear it! :)

13. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Same here.

And that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

14. Raphie123

Raphie123 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    17 days left before submitting :(

Just looked the trailer, I WANT IT NOW :p Looks so epic :O

15. iball

iball Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Pistol reloads way too slow.
    I practice at the range every weekend and reload in less than 5 seconds.
    It's not a revolver, it's a magazine-fed semiautomatic.

16. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

iball while we understand your concerns, we balanced all the weapons based on gameplay. None of the ammo counts or reload times are exactly like their real world counterparts, and are instead only loosely based on them.

That being said, a lvl 1 pistol reloads in about 3-4 seconds in our game (cant remember the exact value) :) Fully upgraded pistol reloads in about 1.5 seconds. You can look at the red circle around the pistol icon to see how fast it reloads.

17. TheBeastlyNinja

TheBeastlyNinja Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Computer stuff
    Right behind you
    darn i just notice you cant move around...

18. deeetour

deeetour Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Game looks really nice, grats dev!

Quick question - are trophies handled in game or by a 3rd party platform like OpenFeint, Plus+ etc?

19. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Thanks deetour! After a year of work creating a custom engine and packing it full of content we are definitely looking forward to finally releasing :)

The trophies are handled in game by the way -- they are a big part of the game, and are very high rez (10k polys for the highest one -- full 3d and rotatable) and needed to be handled by the game itself.