N.Y.Zombies (Final Trailer) -- Finally blow away HORDES of zombies in 1st person!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indiania

Indiania Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    I thought the music really fit the game well.

2. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I actually thought that the music would have been great for a game more like Resident Evil (the PSX ones, not the iPhone ones) or Aftermath, but in this case, it should have been a bit more fast paced and intense. I think we've already talked about this in the past, but while I love the tracks, a bit of a faster pace would have been helpful.

That said, I really, really loved the music in the game. While it may have not contributed to the intensity much, it really added that creepy factor that all zombie games should have. I liked all the tracks equally for the most part, although 2 stood out the most for me.

3. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Yeah we ended up going for more of a mix between atmospheric with a beat. Its not just total ambient, but its not all out action either.... kind of a good mix of both. Glad people enjoy the music for the most part though :)

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    The graphics looks mediocre.

5. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Woah... Oh no you didn't!!

Lol, just being an idiot there. But I do see how you could think that from just the video, but when you see the game in action, it's much more than just how the models look. Sure, they're not the most detailed models ever, and may not have the highest polygon count ever, but the detail in the environments, the variety of environments and enemies, and just the amount of stuff that can be on screen at one time without any drop in framerate is really insane if you think about it. The video, while cool, just doesn't do this game justice. I thought it would just be a fun game when I first started testing, but it turned out to be WAY more than just fun. In fact, it's one of the best games I've played in a while.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    I heard that a lot for a lot of upcoming games but a lot of them turned out to be duds anyway *ahem deadstrike* I dont see myself being immersed if the fps hand looks like that of a scarecrow :)

7. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yeah... Dead Strike was a let down. I just hope that Forgotten Memories is better.

But, like I said, this game is more than just graphics. It's so intense that you honestly really won't even care about the graphics once you get into it. This game is way too deep to be judge by the video. It's seriously one of the most intense games I've ever played on the iDevice. It's intense, but never overwhelming.

I wrote some impressions for someone once, I'll post them here either later or tomorrow.

8. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Well, we appreciate your feedback Azrael :) Negative feedback is how you make things better...

But I would like to say a few things... first off, I will be honest... this is our first app and we are still learning a lot of things about the iPhone in general, as well as our own personal fields (3D graphics being one of them).

That being said, we chose to dial down the poly counts in order to have more action on screen (20 characters on screen while being able to run on an iPhone 3G) -- its a lot harder to make low poly look good in an FPS where it is up close and personal, compared to say an overhead dual stick shooter or other 3D games where you are safe at a distant camera view. There is also a reason you rarely, if ever, see more then 3-6 enemies out at once in any other iPhone FPS.

In the end, I personally don't think the game looks bad at all for what we are trying to accomplish ;) Of course it could look better... but I think if you give the lite version a try you'll see it looks a lot better on the iPhone itself as well. More importantly I think you'll find it to be fun.

Secondly, we put a lot of detail into things that you may not notice in the video. Paper blowing through city streets, wind blowing traffic lights, flies and bugs buzzing around lights and blood trails, leaves falling from trees, flickering lights, shaking subway cars, etc...

Last, are there any other graphical areas that stick out for you, or was it mainly the 1st person hand models?

Ultimately, we hope you at least give the lite version a try (it will be released simultaneously with the full version) ;) We will stick by it to the end that NYZ is all about the game play, and that if you're remotely interested in these types of games, you will enjoy this one :)

9. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    The graphics are actually really good. The characters don't have the most polygons but they still look fairly realistic when playing. The big policeman guy in the third level really sticks out to me for some reason. But there are many nice details like flies and shadows that really look nice.

10. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

the graphics aren't that bad when you're playing (it depends abit on the level really, there are good looking ones and bad looking ones), but there are some cool light effects.... (on all devices) ;)

11. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#111 Foursaken_Media, Mar 21, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
    Can't please everyone I guess :( Which level (other then the Forest which you emailed me about) do you think looks "bad" anyway??

12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    So you can't walk?

13. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    No, you can't walk in this game.

14. Der-Kleine

it isn't as bad as it sounds. ;)

15. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yeah, but if you were stuck in a zombie apocalypse and couldn't move, except for when no one could see you pretty much and are instead reading your journal, that would be a bummer.

When you're playing the game you won't even care though. Trust me, a lack of mobility makes this game no less intense than any other good zombie FPS.

16. Devilmandex

Devilmandex New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Having done just a little beta tester on this game I can fully recommend a purchase. I know I will be. this game is neither stupidly hard nor stupidly difficult. the devs put in a lot of work to ensure a fun and entertaining experience that has alot of replay value. I'm a score junkie so trying to ace all of the levels is fun. some of the stuff in the new trailer appear more polished then the beta I tested and that can only be a good thing. it still amazes me the amount of detail in any one level and the amount of zombies that are onscreen trying to nibble at your flesh.

to sum it up! Buy it. you won't be dissapointed ;)

17. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Isn't that the same thing?

But I completely agree with what you said. This game is just.. great. You really won't ever regret the purchase, especially at the launch price of $2.

18. This looked pretty damn sweet actually ... until I read that there's no free movement. That pretty much killed any spark of desire for the game stone dead. To me, first person is pointless if you don't have free reign. Why go to the trouble of designing a nice 3D engine and levels if you don't let players explore it?

19. Der-Kleine

you will change your mind when you've played it... why isn't this game 2D? Well:
    1. It wouldn't look spechial and would probably go under in the mass of AppStore gmaes.
    2. It would make the game easyer in some places (you'd see the zombies commign from all directions if it was not in 1.st person view)
    3. It just wouldn't work well with quite a few of the levels, the zombies do moove in three dimensions, so you also have to aim in three dimensions and that just doesen't work well in a 2D game
    4. You do love 3D effects lighting effects, don't you? :p
    5. if this wasn't a fps, this wouldn't feel so real.
    6. In a 2D perspektive it would be harder to see the different types of zombies.

I hope you now understand why this is a 3D fps! ;)

20. Unfortunately I probably won't change my mind. Doom Resurrection was awesome-looking, and despite my dislike for rail shooters I bought it anyway. And I still disliked it specifically because of the rails. I really tried to like it -- I mean, it was essentially Doom 3 for iPhone -- but the rails grated on my nerves so badly that I just couldn't. If I was free to explore I'd have loved the game, but putting it on rails totally crushed the experience for me. I just couldn't understand why they didn't make it free-roaming. They had the engine for cryin' out loud, they had the levels designed, so why oh why did they turn it into an interactive movie?

So taking that, no matter how well designed the game is, and removing even the rails, instead rooting the player to the spot, is just going to make me like it even less. Graphics, effects, level design, sound, atmosphere -- they're all rendered meaningless if the gameplay is crippled, and this one's a paraplegic.

Honestly, I was really hoping based on the video that you'd get to roam the streets, explore building interior levels, and so on -- that would have been exactly what the whole 3D zombie FPS genre needed and I would easily have picked that up the day it came out. But no such luck.