Need for Speed:Shift vs. Real Racing

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Ajg3, Dec 19, 2009.

?

Better Game?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2010.
  1. NfS Shift

41 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. Real Racing

38 vote(s)
    45.8%
  3. Other...

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Andi:)

Andi:) Active Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Switzerland, Europe
    #21 Andi:), Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
    please, no.

Framerate is just bad on everything under a 3GS.

RR is about racing. It's not about customization, nitro boost, colorfoul bling bling tattoos and other upgrades. Cause it doesn't matter "who has the biggest (gun)?" in a sim.

thumbs down. :D

2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    It's not a nearly one year old "masterpiece". It came out in June, not anywhere near a year old.

Now if it was a year old and nothing better had come out, that still wouldn't be a plus for RR. That would be a minus for any appstore devs that had attempted to create such a racer.

3. BrainGame

BrainGame Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Nurse
    Philippines
    +1 for NFS: Shift

if you want to see the sense of speed, have your car customized to its fullest potential... like the fact that you can really tell that your car's performace is improved after each customization... i'm still using the lancer evo and this car already has that sense of speed (IMO) how much more with the powerful cars that is not yet unlock... loving this game...

4. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    NFS: Shift is great. I'm on a 2G iPod Touch, no lag or stutters whatsoever. Things are pretty gorgeous and fun, and it's a solid title, but there are definitely flaws.

5. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm not talking about bling, neon, and nitrous,

I'm talking about the ability to upgrade the functionality of your car, suck as the engine and tyres.

And yes, you are a fanboy, hey! Maybe I am too, but a game has come along that could easily be perceived as being better, and you're just defending the underdog.

6. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm not talking about bling, neon, and nitrous,

I'm talking about the ability to upgrade the functionality of your car, suck as the engine and tyres.

And yes, you are a fanboy, hey! Maybe I am too, but a game has come along that could easily be perceived as being better, and you're just defending the underdog.

7. Firestar

Firestar Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Student/Programer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    I think the extra graphical effects may be slowing the 3GS down. On the iPod Touch 2G it runs smoothly, with only very occasional drops in framerate.

8. ixBilalxi

ixBilalxi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Fremont, Ca Bay Area
    Your forgetting one thing.

The upgrading is linear in this game. Its just a number statistic. Now if it had real tuning such as one where u have exactly pick which type of tire or what kind of engine tune to use so that u maximize ur driving ability than that would be good.

But seriously its just linear. Have you played forza? Thats much closer to real tuning.

Real racing has it right for an iphone game. If they add non tunable licensed cars for their next game ill be in heaven.

9. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    I have the first gen iPod Touch and everything works PERFECTLY on it :)

10. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have played Forza 2, and it was ok, but not great, I preferred Need for Speed: Shift, also had great tuning options.

Of course fully tunable cars would have been awesome, but what is there is still better than Real Racing.

11. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm not surprised. helmania is either making up a load of bull, or he has a 1st or 2nd gen iPod touch that is jailbroken, and has like 50 memory draining add-ons which would make the game run slowly.

12. Ajg3

Ajg3 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Lala Land
    Do any of thes have multiplayer?

13. illucius

illucius Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Man, both games are so well done. The re playability in NFS: Shift is huge I find, yet the fact that there are 6 car on screen and the computer AI is so high in Real Racing is also amazing. I can't pick one over the other. Whoever is trying to decide should just buy both.

14. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    But i'm broke :( Nah... i just want to be able to pick one over the other!!

Blah

15. I can't believe NFS won this poll. Real Racing pwns

16. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    Deciding bt the two but the HD versions. Leaning towards NFSS, but is the Online MP in RR any good? A good MP may sway my decision

17. OctopodSquad

OctopodSquad Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2010
    I have both but I realize that I play Real Racing more... but that's just me burying my NFS under my many apps while realracing is more accessable. Each game has it's minuses and pluses... Real Racing has multiplayer and content (track-wise) and NfS has licensed cars, better graphics IMO, and customization stuff..
    Hell, I wouldn't care if cars are licensed.. I just want stats for the cars (Yes I'm talking about Real Racing)

I'd say a draw but if I REALLY had to choose.. Then NFS

18. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I personally find Real Racing to be too shallow and insubstantial. Sure it's fun, but when it really comes downvto it, if I want to play a racing game with some depth, I'll play NFS:S

19. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    Thanks for the replies. I went with NFSS just because I figure when I am playing alone, I will have more fun with NFSS than RR

20. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Still Unsure

After Watching this thread and reading the responses I am still unsure about what game to get myself. I really don't have a preference for either arcade or simulation (customization is cool but sounds limited in need for speed shift). What I am more interested in and hopefully someone could help me with is re-playability/longevity. I am looking for a racer that I can keep coming back too and still have fun/hold my interest. The online leagues for real racing seem kinda cool but then again are they really something that is a big draw for that game/extend its life? So could someone help me out by telling me which game has the best bang for my buck.