Need help to make ios my main gaming platform

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by angryassdrummer, Feb 9, 2013.

1. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yeah, for SURE! I have that same situation too. And my ipod touches, and now my iPad is my secret 'exit' pass! I love it! Being able to walk around with all your favorite games in your pad to play any time you want is more than I ever dreamed years ago. Got rid of all the consoles and play only on the IOS. Well, recently, I got a new phone, so I'm getting into the Android now pretty heavily. It has lots of emulators on it for almost all old systems and still has imame there. Lots of free stuff too. Really good potential for the future there. Nothing to make me switch though RIGHT NOW. Enjoy your iPad, man. It's really lots of fun!!

2. 2133

2133 Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Student
    Indonesia
    Great Big War game is free too, check it out.

3. angryassdrummer

angryassdrummer Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    great big war game i have and love ( but am terrible at.. stuck on mission 4)

emulators on android? man im jeaous. id take a whole heap of snes, mega drive ( genesis) & ps1/2 games over most of the new games out there.
    Would kill for a port of dragon quest 8

been playing Riptide GP a lot the last 2 days, great fun
    also a little bit of After Burner.. but again i suck at that game. im still terrible at getting used to control in ipad for non point and click games ( getting there slowly)
    downloaded Arcane Legends too.. didnt get to play it, took so long downloading the paks hopefully get a go at it tonight in bed while pretending to work on an assignment on Pages lol

4. Itchyant

Itchyant Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Similar situ to you too mate, mid thirties with two young kids as well. My ipad has become my main gaming device, with the xbox 360 and backlog of games sitting mostly neglected.

My favourites so far on the ipad have been kingdom rush, walking dead, puzzle quest 2, world of goo, and mtg. My iphone favs tend to be more arcade oriented, such as forget me not.

I also jailbroke the ipad recently primarily to put a snes emulator on, delving back into a link to the past is making me very happy :)

5. angryassdrummer

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

snes emulator you say?
    tell me more:D

to be honest i dont know much about the whole jailbreak thing

6. Jimjamie

Jimjamie Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Businessman and a consultancy agency owner.. . . .
    USA
    #46 Jimjamie, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    All my game enjoying record is either individual gamer strategy or 2 gamer in the same space. i think ive performed a few sporting activities on the internet on the 360 and got KICKED so have always steered away from on the internet multi-player.. being that i cant perform all day daily, i just presumed individuals on the internet esp with rts are teams before me so no factor enjoying.. but, if there were a few ios activities that were many fun on the internet + a reasonable stage program, then id really like to provide them a go. . . . . .

Small Business Marketing

7. angryassdrummer

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    ^^^
    Yeah that's pretty much me too!
    Would love to play online just turned off by players way way better or worse, players who just go on to be idiots

8. aydenn

aydenn New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    EUR
    Hi Aza

I mainly play casual games, so my list is kind of casual too :)

For puzzles, you could try Tiny Bang Story, which is a great point and click reaching #1 in a number of countries.
    - Puzzle Agent and Puzzle Agent 2 are nice, though more like interactive comics rather than actual games
    - Shardlands is a great-looking puzzle with a sci-fi/fantasy flavor

Platformers:
    - Edge and Edge Extended are must have games
    - Toki Tori, a good old puzzle platformer
    - Ozone HD
    - and I personally like Nanoplex

Adventures: the whole Back to the Future series

RPGs: Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, as someone already mentioned

Strategies: the classic Risk game (Risk for the iPad), they say the Battle of the Bulge is awesome too, never played it myself though

Shooters: iBomber Attack

Hope this helps :)

9. Itchyant

Nov 19, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I'm running 5.1.1 so a jailbreak as pretty easy, not sure if one is available for ios6 yet?

Dude, also check out zen pinball, loads of fun

10. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Star warsssss pinballlll!!!!! Can't wait

11. angryassdrummer

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    im enjoying Phoenix HD atm, the whole vertical shoot em up is great on ipad
    keen to find more, 1 life on Phoenix is crazy lol im not that hardcore
    also the competitor games are $15 each! wow
    also Major Mayhem is loads of fun. more causal game but still loads of fun. i would love to find more games like that

12. angryassdrummer

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    having fun with Arcane Legends too

13. angryassdrummer

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    looking into Chrono Trigger
    not sure whether to buy it for ios, DS or PSX
    i was a huge snes fan back in the day but was having a break from games when chrono came out

14. Itchyant

Nov 19, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Mate, if you like phoenix then it is worth splashing out on a Cave game. They are expensive but are the pinical of bullet hell shmups. My pick for a beginner would be bug princess 2 (not black label tho), or even bug princess 1. If you want to read up on the net a bit more on them, look up mushihimesama futari, that was its original name. Great atmosphere, cool scoring bent without the complexity of DDP or EspGaluda. It'll be a new addiction ;)

15. angryassdrummer

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    what about the difficulty?
    i HATE hard games, i always thought the majority of shoot em ups were pretty hardcore, which is why is stayed away
    if i found one like Phoenix but more than 1 life and the difficulty wasnt too bad then id buy it for sure

16. Itchyant

Nov 19, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Most of the cave games have 4 difficulties, ranging from easy to hell, so you ease into it. They also allow you to practice stages, so you can build your skill and scoring technique.

BP2 is one of the more easy cave titles. Look out if Ketsui or Ibara ever make it to iOS!

17. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    If you like space shooting arcades look no further from Syder Arcade HD.It is best spaceship shooter on-the-go with awesome graphic on iPad in my opinion, and it costs only 1$.Not to mention a big update is coming soon :)

18. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #58 nightc1, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
    Similar story... 39, wife & 3 kids... not a lot of time to take over a tv for gaming. So, I needed a smart phone for work so I can remote into servers and stuff and settled on the iPhone 4S because it had better apps for the task plus it had a much better appstore without as many issues that people reported with android phones at the time. The whole deal of not knowing if a game will run on each specific device and the thousands of possible phones and limits here and there... I didn't want to take a blind leap and end up having a phone I hated for two years.

The gaming side turned out heavenly for me. I am a more serious gamer than you though. I like hard games as long as they are only hard because of a needed skill. I don't like games where they are hard due to cheap tactics by the dev... such as a music game I can play with two thumbs but then they put 3 targets on the screen. Um... I'm on an iPhone... it's hard to put three fingers on the screen without setting it down.

But in the last year I have gone from mainly playing traditional handheld game systems (because of the family thing) to pretty much nearly all of my game time going into my iPhone. Sometimes I play Minecraft on PC... but that's not very often because it's just not that convenient versus my phone which is always with me.

Ok so this is a "what game should I get" kind of thread so I guess I gotta post some recommendations. Keep in mind, I'm on the iPhone side of the table so I play whatever I want that I find fun... but it may or maynot support some higher resolution on iPad. But I'm more about real game fun... not graphics. I prefer those old console games more than the watered down gameplay on the current systems that have pretty graphics. Heck most of those old games run at something like 320x240. A far bit smaller than any of these i devices.

... here goes...

You have GBWG, might as well get Great Little War Game to compliment it. Seems like the gameplay is a good primer for GBWG . But also for turn based strategy on an Advance Wars style, check out Mecho Wars. Also other turn based games... Grid Race is cool as is Lead Wars. As mentioned Shining Force (a Genesis port) is also worth grabbing.

Many have mentioned Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, get it. It was free last I checked, even if it's not it's worth the buck or whatever. I also like the first Galactic Phantasy. It's kind of hard to describe but it's a blend of turn based and action rpg on the space battle side. The strategy required is pretty cool. Last I checked it was $2.99 US and the sequel Galactic Phantasy Prelude was $0.99 US. Not sure what prices translate to in AUD.

For RPG's, search the appstore for Kemco. There are a bunch of classic styled RPG's and they have sales fairly often for them at $0.99. Obviously there are the Final Fantasy main series games. If you want something more Zelda ish though then Secret of Mana is good. Not sure how it plays on iPad but on iPhone and Touch it's fine.

Really the possibilities are endless. Hang out more on the game deals forum and you'll get a lot of stuff for free over time. It may take a while to figure out the regs and who posts about games that are actually good and who are just devs looking to promote something (sometimes this is great, sometimes it's not... obviously the Rubicon dude is cool).

19. workingman

workingman Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Maintanence
    Ma
    There are and always will be good games for the iPhone but im certain that it will be impossible for anyone to consider it their primary gaming platform due to all the freemium bullcrap and even worse the premium freemium bull crap (I gladiator) is a good example. Home consoles are gonna stay and mobile gaming is going to die very soon. It's almost there now

20. Itchyant

Nov 19, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Doubtful