Needing a studying/gaming device: iPad 2 or iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by LOLavi, Aug 13, 2013.

1. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    It's not. It's miserable to type with, it's too light for its size which is way too small to begin with, and SCREW THE LACK OF RETINA. (shut up)

Or "studying".

Portability is only a factor of you're carrying your crap around in a fanny pack.

You've never used one. Have you.

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #22 crunc, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    Typing on an iPad 2 actually isn't all that great. I don't think the larger size makes it any better than typing on an iPhone. In fact I think, but certainly don't have scientific data, that I make fewer typing mistakes on my iPhone 4 than I do on the iPad 2. I have used the mini in a store and liked it there, but that doesn't count for much.

BUT, the iPad 2 is a great tablet. It is fast (much faster than my iPhone 4). It's not retina, but things don't look bad on it (except for upscaled iPhone games, but those are less common now - rather, universal is more common no - and iOS 7 apparently is finally going to make it use the iPhone retina assets).

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I actually need the iPad a lot. Lots of stuff is done with laptops/tablets and taking notes would be much easier with iPad, because I always make my notes look messy and then they're harder to read through when I'm studying for exam week. It's mostly as a notebook FYI, not as a book. I got books, but I hate notebooks lol.

They don't sell iPad 3 anymore.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I can type faster with 8 fingers than with two thumbs! After enough practise with the iPad I almost find myself making less mistakes than I do with a PC keyboard, as the text entry field is so close to the "keys" that I can essentially touch type with near-perfect accuracy due to the keyboard being in my peripheral vision the whole time. I guess the same would apply to the Mini, but smaller keys will inevitably lead to more errors... and maybe switch out eight fingers for six.

5. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    I find both the iPad and iPhone easy but on the iPad I'm considerably faster for obvious reasons. Problem with the mini is that's its too big to use your thumbs, and too small to use like a keyboard.

Refurbished.

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    No idea what those are even though I know what that means. I'll stick with iPad 2 or iPad Mini.

7. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    It's an iPad 3 that's basically been returned, had screen and battery replaced mandatory-ally, that costs like $300 less.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    We could just keep this going, couldn't we? Let's not.

@LOLavi: Whether you choose an iPad 2 or a Mini, get a Logitech keyboard case. Worth every penny.

9. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    If its on the local "Gigantic" (thats the name of it, not size) electronic hardware store. I'm not ordering it online so whichever case is best there, I'll buy it.

I think I'm going with iPad 2 folks... It just seems more suited for studying, using the study websites, taking notes and whatnot.

10. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Damn straight.

11. Just wait two months, there will be a flood of ipad 3's for sale on release of ipad 5. Maybe you can even buy mine hehe.

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You don't have to, I'm enjoying myself.

13. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Well I was going with iPad 2, but now iPad mini will be only 270€ on Saturday. It'll be 90€ cheaper than iPad 2 and I'm cheap lol

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    All that is subjective, and the "lack of retina" is present on both devices there are to choose from. The screen is just better on the Mini.
    That's a load of crap. The difference in weight can mean a lot to some folks.
    Irrelevant. Did I say I have?

Coming from someone who just got nailed for spouting off a few completely subjective opinions as truth, this really means a lot.

15. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    If you carry it in a fanny pack.

I SAID SHUT UP

Not better. Smaller. Which gives the illusion of better, due to a seemingly better resolution. But resolution doesn't mean shit when you're typing or browsing non mobile websites.

You're a load of crap.

I already said it means a lot to some folk. The fanny pack folk.

Nope.

Did I say you said you have?