Neogaf's top iOS games of all time.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Oct 31, 2011.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Didn't catch that one, but yes, definately a good game that should have made the list.

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    This.

3. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    List seems pretty damn solid if you ask me. Caught a bunch of my obscure favorites.

355 HungryMaster 002
    353 Critter Crunch 002
    310 rRootage Online 007
    273 King of Fighters 010
    265 The Secret of Chateau de Moreau 011 :D :D :D
    238 Jubeat Plus 013
    172 Crimson Gem Saga 017 :D :D :D
    89 Bumpy Road 032
    81 Mushihimesama Bug Panic 035
    78 Phoenix Wright 036
    66 Deathsmiles 042
    55 Sword & Poker 049
    43 Super Stickman Golf 076
    27 Espgaluda 2 114
    20 DoDonPachi Ressurection 152 :D :D :D

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Don't disagree that there aren't good games on the list. But the ordering is very questionable. Most of the games you just listed there are far better games than something like Angry Birds or Tiny Wings (not that those are bad games, but they're likely in the top 10 merely because of their huge success and, IMO, are far from being the best games on the App Store).

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    It took a lot for those games to become the huge successes they are, especially something like Tiny Wings, which came from a developer no one had ever heard of. There has to be a good number of people on the AppStore who do believe they're (AB, FN, DJ, CtR, TW, etc.) the best games they've played on the platform; that's why they never fall off charts (top 25). We have to remember we're a small minority here on TA in terms of the AppStore's customer base.

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #26 awp69, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
    That's a fair point. It is true that a lot of these huge successes were from small developers (Tiny Wings was a one-man effort if I remember). Not saying that they aren't talented at what they did and casual games are what is the most successful on the App Store. Guess it's just hard for me to overlook what truly is a "classic" as far as hard-core gaming is concerned.

I play the casual games just as much as the hard-core games (and own everything in the top 10 except Infinity Blade and Groove Coaster because of my 2G)-- just fun to play when you don't want to think to hard.

Guess it's the same battle you get when people say most of the games on the Wii are for casual gamers while the PS3/360 crowd is more "hard-core". Just all perspective. Didn't mean to take away from what a lot of small devs are working hard on....and there's even a lot of smaller, previously unknown devs like Crescent Moon that have churned out more hard-core games like Aralon.

Sometimes I get upset seeing that games like Angry Birds (again not picking on AB as I know the devs behind that did a lot to support their game) are huge successes when there's incredible games made by others that fail miserably in the App Store. But, unfortunately, that's just the app business.

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yeah almost every game that is currently on my iPod(only 29, 8GB was almost full, backed up, restored, removed some apps) I've enjoyed more than Angry Birds or Tiny Wings. AB was awesome for first 30 level, then it got repetitive for me. Same with Tiny Wings, 2 times I got until world 8 and then removed. But since they're 99-cents, they got the mass-appeal etc. they're hanging there. Though Tiny Wings has fallen off Top 10 :D