Universal Neuroshima Hex (by Portal Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Sep 17, 2010.

1. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Well, says 99 cents on the display now, but Apple prompts 1.99 on each purchase. Making progress at least :)

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I checked and my pop up said 99 cents so I bought them both :)

3. SJack

SJack Active Member

Apr 15, 2011
    rather annoyed that the "Tap to buy new expansions" banner is still present even after i have bought the updates.

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Played a Four player game to watch the new units in action

Borgo (me)
    Moloch (Easy)
    NeoJungle (Easy)
    New York (Easy)

Had three crashes and a sound glitch after one of them. The Spy-Shooter unit's sfx were triggered before it's phase, then in Phase 2 they played properly.

I absolutely love the game but all these little things here and there are marring this beautiful package

5. BigDaddysCreations

BigDaddysCreations Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    Vegan, could you download the crash reports and send them to us? We will check what was the problem and try to fix it. If you need instructions (but I guess you don't :) ) how to download them, I can PM you.

6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Sent to the bdc@ email :)

7. Espekayen

Espekayen Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Hertfordshire, UK
    That's a bit annoying. I was hoping that banner would disappear once the armies had been purchased. I hope the developers will fix this soon.

And I hope those bugs get squashed soon. I would hate NH to be riddled with bugs with the release of this update. The previous version was so brilliant and stable.

8. BigDaddysCreations

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    Don't worry guys, we will do our best to get rid of the bugs.

Vegan, thanks for the reports! We're just looking at them.

9. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Thank you. ;)

And thank you! ;)

I'll be spending a lot of time with this new update. Thanks for adding additional achievements too. Can't wait to accomplish them.

10. Serian

Serian Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    #470 Serian, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
    Question: How long will the IAP armies be on sale? It would be best if I could wait until friday to buy them, but if they are going up I guess I can get them sooner.

Question: I haven't looked into this, but is there any multiplayer in NH? Especially asynchronous multiplayer?

11. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

The new achievements were what made me suspect the update would be out this morning. I saw them last night at work while I was aimlessly cruising around GameCenter. I took it as a pretty good sign that new achievements were successfully pushed through ... and, for once, I was right.

12. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Excellent news on the update! Will be downloading as soon as i get home.

Question: Will there be an update to the puzzle game for these new armies as well? Might be a good way to expand that game and help break us in to the abilities of the new armies.

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

I only dabbled with the game a bit on iPhone, was stoked once it came over to the iPad and made it so much easier to get details on units in-game, and now am SUPER STOKED to be able to add more units into the game!

My one question, however, are the leader boards some cumulative summation of achievements over a player's gaming career or meant to track a player's best game on each difficulty?

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

While still a complete newb to the game, here is the 5 star iTunes review I just posted!

While I'm a ways off from truly getting all of the nuances of this intricate game that reminds me of a strange hybrid of some RTS computer game and the tilie laying boardgame Carcassonne. When I say RTS (real time strategy) it is not to imply this is a real time game, but the whole concept of neading to protect your faction's headquarters and each army having its own unique units feels like I'm playing Starcraft or something. The gameplay pretty much consists of each player taking their turn laying down their head quarters anywhere on the hexagonal grid, and then each player taking turns laying down attack and supportive units onto the board in hopes of destroying their opponents' headquarters. When you place your units on the map you're pretty free to put them on any empty space facing any direction you want, but that ideal placement and facing you used one turn is unlikely to take into account whatever your opponent throws at you on their next turn. Also, just basic facts like while there is nothing stopping you from spending all of your turns putting your best units right up along an opponent's headquarters, that would likely mean that there is nobody minding the store back at your headquarters. The game is all about finding that perfect balance of offense and defense and will largely depend on which of your units come up in the random draws each turn as well as what your particular army's strength and weaknesses are.

I really love how all 6 armies play so uniquely (some armies are all about brute strength, while others might be all about mobility). As much as I love how unique each of the 6 armies are, I also have to admit there is definiteIy a bit of a learning curve trying to figure out how all of these units and abilities factor into one another. I love the tension this game creates. I take my turn and think I've just created some unsurmountable rain of death about to take my opponent's headquarters out when suddenly, through a couple of well placed units, my fool proof plan is laid to waste once my opponent takes his turn!

My one whine I think I'd spoken to the devs about before, call me spoiled by video games, but I wish some of the support unit's buffs or debuffs could be better reflected on the affected units. If my warrior now has a initiative of 3 due to an adjacent support module, let me see the text on his tile change to reflect that. While I understand that in the REAL boardgame you wouldn't suddenly see a unit's printed iniative value on the tile magically transform, it can easily be done here in the digital media.

15. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    An update!:eek:
    I was wondering about that. I checked my achievements last night and saw new armies listed. I was really confused.:confused:

16. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    They're a cumulative summation not of achievements, but of all points earned for each individual game played within the respective difficulty modes; the points taken by themselves don't mean anything in the absence of the total number of games played. If the number of games played is known (i.e. among friends, for example, vis a vis the honor system), then approximate average performance (ignoring the fact that some armies and their tactics are easier to grok) could be roughly estimated by dividing the number into the points listed on the leaderboard and comparing the quotient.

17. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Unless they've changed with the update (I'm still downloading ...), the leaderboards are cumulative.

Sidebar: good to see that the scoring system was given some bug-spray. As many players have pointed out over the last few months, sometimes the scoreboard simply did not match up with the results of the game.

18. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Digging New York, haven't played Neojungle yet...

Big thanks to the NSHex team for bringing out this new content.

19. BigDaddysCreations

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    Guys, thanks for this amazing stuff you write here :) After reading your comments we always have this great feeling that all the effort we put into this game was really worth it :)

Now, the answers :)
    As for the sale, it will last until end of this week, so Sunday is the last day.
    And yes, leaderboards are cumulative.
    We're thinking about adding IAPs to the NH Puzzle with new sets of puzzles with new armies, but it's not something that will pop-up soon.

If you have any more questions, write it here and we'll try to repply them ASAP.

20. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While a neat attempt at some sort of career stats, I'd far prefer, even if only local some more Solo play stats like:

-Win/Loss tracked for each Army within each AI Difficulty.
    -Possibly using the career scoring system already setup, I'd like something showing my individual best wins (like maybe a top 5) for each Army within each Difficulty.

Basically just some fun little record of my achievements vs. the AI and a way to see at a glance, "Whoa, I really suck when playing as the Molochs vs. Hard AI" or something.