Universal Neuroshima Hex (by Portal Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Sep 17, 2010.

1. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

2. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    This

3. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Not that I don't agree, because I totally do, but let's remember that BDC has said that multiplayer is coming. Like 500 times.

I actually think they're playing it smart by not locking in a date until they're ready. Missed dates cause more ill feelings among gamers than any other factor.

4. thebleeptruth

thebleeptruth Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Definitely considering finally picking this game up. Is the $0.99 cost for new army IAP a sale too, or have they always been at that price?

5. BigDaddysCreations

BigDaddysCreations Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    Standard price for each additional army is $1.99.

Multiplayer is on its way, but we're doing few other projects at the same time, so please guys be patient.

Lukasz

6. Synozeer

Synozeer Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Not to be rude, but haven't we already been patient? It's been 1 year since the game has been released. We keep getting "multiplayer is on the way/soon/next/coming", and it sounds like it might be another 6-12 months.

Obviously it's your priority to release multiplayer if/when you'd like, but in my case, you're leaving money on the table. I stopped playing Neuroshima Hex about 9 months ago and haven't bought the new armies - I'm waiting for multiplayer. I have a lot of friends who are interested in playing games like this, but won't get it unless it has multiplayer.

Anyways, just a little venting here. Obviously I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't like the game.

7. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    To be honest I am patient, and I understand how a dev would at least want to wait For iOS 5 to hit before they work in earnest on mp. Why would they add asynchronous mp now when in a few months iOS 5 will have it built in, which I think would make it easier to implement as well as being potentially more stable and a more uniform experience with the multitude other games that will be doing the same.

8. thebleeptruth

thebleeptruth Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Just picked up the game this past weekend. Hopefully can get good enough soon to play online against human players.

9. BigDaddysCreations

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
  10. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    I like the look of some of those other games, like Stronghold (never played the board versions though). Looking forward to seeing them!

11. Espekayen

Espekayen Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Looking forward to next year. Seems we have some great games coming our way; I like the sound of Eclipse in particular. Stronghold, too.

12. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    I totally understand where you're coming from. The thing about these devs, is that they've been pretty crystal clear about their development. They clearly said they were gonna do IAP before multiplayer and how they were having other projects etc. I agree with you, that the sooner the better. I stopped playing this game not long after I bought it since there's no big reason to come back to it. But if they say December, I'm sure that the MP update will be around December. They're pretty good about their promises. I play this game occasionally just to not get rusty. I cannot wait to play against other people. I hope the multiplayer has a lobby system like Ascension or a "random match" like Kard Combat. some form of ELO rating would be sweet...

I know i mentione this a lot but I really like a unique notification sound like Ascension, Disc Driving....carcassone's is too intrusive (except their chat sound)

Anywho, I'm ranting but I have a lot of hope in these devs....they've kept their promises and constantly upgrade the game if its broken or needs something right away. Plus they update their site frequently so I say let's cut these guys some slack, I'm sure they'll create a quality product...and if they don't, we know they listen to the customers for feedback and constantly try to improve their products.

-owc

13. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    I'm done with this game (and have been for a while) until MP.

14. ScarecrowKing

ScarecrowKing Member

Oct 13, 2011
    I'd just like the games to work. Last update makes both crash constantly.

15. BigDaddysCreations

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
  16. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    This is huge. really huge news.
    Please implement Chat options with the update.
    thank-you, will join Carcassonne, Ascension and Uniwar as must-play multiplayer games for people with busy lives.

17. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    in the site it says "if everything will go as planned, you should receive Neuroshima Hex multiplayer update on February 2012"

It's Feb 2012.... Any news on this? I've been wanting to buy this game for a very long time now... but no Online is holding me back...

oh and another question...

Why is Neuroshima Hex on the Online Games section of Game Center in iTunes, if it doesn't have online multiplayer? ._. or am i missing something?

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah... Ive been waiting on the multiplayer update too. Should be awesome when it happens!

19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Figured I'd give you a little list that I usually post to devs working on an async implementation. It will probably be far too late in the process to do much good, but perhaps you can use it for further reference and polish, should Neuroshima Hex's async implementation receive a reception similar to that of Caylus:

For a polished and appealing implementation of asynchronous gaming, these features or options will all contribute greatly:
    • A well-developed chat system. Ensure that new chat messages:
      • Show up across the screen once we enter the game in question, but also send their own push notifications.
      • Furthermore, in addition to displaying new chat messages on top of the actual gaming area, also provide a chat log (accessed via a chat bubble icon or similar) were we can read the chat history. This is also probably where we will be sending new chat messages.
      For a very successful chat implementation, see Carcassonne.
    • Informative push notifications. Preferably, the name of opponents should be included in the push notification, plus other information that will aid us in separating different on-going games from each other. (“It is your turn in the game with BigDaddy'sCreations” will do, but “It is your turn n in the fast-paced game on a large map with BigDaddy'sCreations, Steve, and Hodapp” is much more informative.) For async games that result in really long and complex matches (Starbase Orion, the most sophisticated async game for iOS, is currently the only such game), custom naming of matches might be preferable.
    • In-game notifications of new turns in other Neuroshima Hex matches, plus a quick way to jump to these matches. UniWar does this best, with a button that sends the player to the next match with an available turn, and a badge that displays the number of available turns on top of the next match button.
    • Allow the players to remain in-game and play the game as a real-time multiplayer game. Luckily, most async games do this by default, but some very few forces the player out of the game upon submitting the turn. Even sending the player to the next active async match in the same game can be annoying, and is better accomplished with the feature mentioned in the point above.
    • Upon entering or RE-entering an unsubmitted turn, display a replay of the events of the last turn. It is practical, but also important for immersion and flow. As SharpCarlos wrote, "without it, each turn is like a dry little puzzle, cut off from the flow of the match".
    • Allow us to enter the match directly from the push notification. Most async games do this, but Starbase Orion did not, in the beginning, and it became tiresome to go through the login and retrieve active games process each time.
    • A custom and characteristic notification sound. (Not possible at the moment if you rely on Apple’s own async APIs)
    • Options for turn timer expiration, to prevent players from withholding their turns for weeks, together with warnings of impending turn expiration sent via push notifications.
    • Don't use Apple's new async APIs. Seriously, don't :) They are EXTREMELY basic, with limitations such as no custom notification sound, you can only submit chat messages as you end the turn (GC just piggy-backs a chat message on the end of the game's turn data), and no easy way to use informative text strings for push notifications. A durned shame, I was hoping Apple's new GC additions would do much good for async gaming.

For added persistence, illusion of achievement, sense of progress, longevity (what nearly all async games currently lack, the biggest, glaring flaw in the async catalogue):

• Further progression and persistence. This is the aspect that the VAST majority of async games overlook. In the long run, async games tend to become a long blur of endless strings of matches, and this often leads to a sense of exhaustion, and a lack of purpose. Here is how to sex us up with purpose and context ;) :
      • Ideally, all async games would include some sort of semi-MMO/MMO-inspired campaign mode, where all matches won led either to some sort of progression (unit/army/character development, whatever is suitable for that particular game), territorial gain (for war and conquer games. Something as simple as a world map that displays ownership of territories based on matches won, a visual representation of player stats, plus some nice titles and achievements, would be enough to offer incentive for many players. An extended meta-game where matches won and territorial gain led to further in-game advantages would be something wholly unique, and really appealing), or at least, for those games that seek to retain a balanced multiplayer experience with no persistent advantages, visual upgrades (new unit appearances, colors, badges, titles, medals, etc, whatever is suitable for that particular game). The perfect fusion would probably be one online multiplayer campaign mode with persistence and context, and one competitive, balanced, no persistent advantages mode, for the best of both worlds.
      • If not, ELO/other suitable ratings, extended stats and a complete match history at least offer players a way to track their progress, and look back upon their accomplishments. UniWar does this partially well, with ELO ratings and detailed player stats, which tie in to the game’s community features (being able to send messages, view player profiles, etc), and while Neuroshima Hex is a bit different in nature, most of these mechanics could be used here as well.
    Together, all the added progression mentioned in the last bullet points adds up to longevity and an active community, which in turn leads to far greater chances for monetization (= more dough for devs ;) ).

20. Pifecta

Pifecta Member

Feb 15, 2012