New AppInfo -- With User Ratings

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by arn, Dec 30, 2009.

1. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    Where does it say who voted?

2. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I think the number of voters is somewhere around the overall rating, click on that to see a list of people who voted.

3. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    What a beautiful surprise!
    Like it VERY MUCH! Best iPhone site further improving! Cool.

4. richard82

richard82 New Member

Dec 28, 2009
    How do you actually use appinfo tag; do you need the app to have been reviewed on touchArcade?

5. richard82

richard82 New Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Don't worry, found it!

6. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    Wait guys, I'm really missing out here! How do we pull in the game info tag? Some sort of BBCode?

7. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Yes, like this:

8. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Great new feature, problem is it seems a majority of games - particularly older ones - have no appinfo, thus making it impossible to collect user ratings for them...

9. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer

10. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    You'll find all the magic tricks here ;)

http://forums.toucharcade.com/misc.php?do=bbcode#appinfo

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Since a good deal of release threads are made by forum regulars, you could probably just PM whoever started it and ask them to update it. I asked eggzbacon to update the Spider thread and he was happy to oblige.

I'm not seeing any difference between appinfo and appinfo2...

12. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    #32 ImNoSuperMan, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
    Appinfo2 is the new appinfo Arn introduced in this thread. Now the old "appinfo" has been replaced with the new "appinfo2" so that there`s no need to manually update the old threads.

Whenever I see an old thread with no appinfo I always edit the first post to add it there. I think I`ve already updated atleast 20 threads with appinfo in last couple of weeks. If you`ll search hard enough you`ll find quite a few first posts Last edited by ImNoSuperMan ;).

If anyone finds an old thread with no appinfo, feel free to either PM the mods or the OP to update it :)

13. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the noob question but do you have to do anything after you press your star rating on a game to submit it? Cause I press the stars and they fill in but Will090 doesn't show up under the people who have rated it

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    You don't have to do anything, it just won't show up until you reload the page.

15. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Please remove the star rating feature in appinfo because it is just going to be abused by trolls and dishonest types. The December monthly hidden gems thread has shown that this type of abuse can happen. An app does not deserve being presented with lower or higher ratings than it deserves because of trolls or dishonest devs.

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    It's no different to the App Store. Trolls will always rate stuff low, but if a game is actually worth a high score, there will be enough fans backing it up to put the star rating where it belongs. Quality always shines through.

To be honest I look at star ratings as an indication of popularity rather than quality. Lesser-known apps might suffer from people maliciously rating them low, without having enough fans to up the score, but that would just say to me that not many people know about the app, which would be entirely true. In the end I'll always rely on written impressions over a number from 1-5.

17. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    #37 New England Gamer, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
    But in the app store you have to buy the app first. So if you REALLY want to troll there its going to cost you. Here anyone can just go on a one star rating barrage.

Not all people are like you Midian and they just look at the stars and move on.

Edit for additional thought: If I was a dev right now I would post my information as some do without the appinfo - the description, the link and the screenshots are all we need. Then they won't be subject to the potential of getting rated by a vindictive forum user.

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    #38 MidianGTX, Jan 6, 2010
    Well that's just their loss I'm afraid :) No one else is to blame if people are too stupid to do their own research on a game. Most people know the worth of the hidden gems, and that the popular stuff is often total crap, if other people can't realize that simple fact then they're just gonna have to miss out.

Still, overall it seems to be working:

Minigore - 4 stars
    Labyrinth 2 - 5 stars
    Canabalt - 3.5 stars
    iBlast Moki - 4.5 stars
    Inotia 2 - 4 stars
    Spider - 5 stars

It's no secret that those are some of the most popular games on the forum at the moment, and they're at the top of the list. Makes sense to me.

Edit: plus people are always gonna be making those "best of" topics, so the lesser-known stuff gets it's rep eventually ;)

YouTube has a few hundred thousand trolls too, but the good videos still get their 5-star ratings. I think the best thing to do is just wait and see how many trolls we actually have, it might not be that many.

Edit #2: I wonder... do banned members get their votes removed? If not could it be integrated in future?

19. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    banned member's votes are removed. and we can even selectively disallow users to vote without outright banning them.

arn

20. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

#40 Will090, Jan 6, 2010
    Still doesn't seem to show up I rated Hook Champ like 5 days ago and it is still not there :confused:

EDIT It works in Firefox but not Internet Explorer, weird