New Company

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Lukearcade22, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Thanks. Been down that road, about to do it again, and I'm both excited and intimidated, even though I know it's well within my capabilities. Those points are just from my own experience and the way I am.

You will. First of all you're already light years ahead of many developers on the App Store who can't seem to stop themselves from releasing crap. Experiment to your heart's content -- always experiment, play around, try new things, go hog wild. Test your limits. Test the machine's limits. Break them. (The limits I mean, not the machine.) Tear your hair out hunting down bugs. Curse and swear at the screen when you can't find one of them. Spend hours running traces, testing exceptions and compiling countless times only to discover on the fifteenth pass that the float you're trying to achieve precision with was declared as an int.

You'll know when you're ready, and when you are -- presuming you haven't burned out or gotten bored of it -- you'll write something, and you'll release it. Nervously, yet excitedly. And you'll be crestfallen at each negative review and elated at each positive. You'll learn, you'll see your mistakes, and you won't make them a second time. Because if you got this far, there will be a second time. And a third. Because if you enjoy it, it'll get into your blood.

But until then mess around. Have fun. Explore. See what you can come up with. Some of the coolest stuff came from unfocused experimentation.

I'm curious. I have a MacBook that's about two or three years old. Intel Core Duo and all that. What about the SDK makes it require a newer processor? Is mine safe?

Except for the whole not taking pride in your work thing. I'll presume you meant to answer "yes" to that.

But hey, if you scored that highly then yes, you may well be ideally suited to programming. :)

2. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Oh d@ng, he is only 14! Well, I am 11 and I making my 4th application. Don't worry, this is my dad's touch arcade account that I use. Age does not matter.

(applause) Very good post! Actually, I meet most of the criteria. Thank you for the encouragement!

3. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Don't think you can make a company until your an Adult, your still a miner. You need to have bank, tax, ssn/tin, for apple to process and approve you as a developer.

I think they have the $99 fee to say, hey if your serious about developing its a minor cost.

4. No Hero

No Hero Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    #24 No Hero, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
    I was being sarcastic there :)

edit: on the plus my dad is amazing at these computer languages, so I'm like set. (Although I am learning C right now, actually)

5. Exit287

Exit287 New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    that 99$ is far better than paying for your distribution, publication, hosting ....etc on your own.

6. Good point.

7. Exit287

Exit287 New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    ...and as a buddy of mine just pointed out to me, you get xcode for free, the sdk for free, and free community support. Unlike the $500+ for visual studio $80+ a month for msdn membership and no marketing or distribution help as i stated before.