New layout

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Rip73, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I don't like it either, it okay saying 'but you can search for xxx' but it's not the same, I'm sorry but I think it was a stupid idea to pit them together, ipad games are going to be swamped now. I hope in time they realise their mistake and put it back as it was.

..if it's not broken, don't fix it..

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    You guys don't seem to realize that there was, what...a new iPad Only release once every blue moon AND most of the time no one even bothered posting threads in that sub-forum. Pretty much right before the merge, the iPad sub-forum was basically collecting spam and the odd duplicate thread of a universal release. It was pointless. This is way more streamlined and smart.

3. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    #23 soup, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014

That is basically not true, there were definately Ipad only releases, although i admit a lot were FIRST released on the Ipad and then became universal later.
    And i was often in that sub-forum, and it was never exactly a spam magnet, ie i saw none.
    Just because it was not as highly visited as the iphone forum, it has to be removed ? why ?
    You can just as well argue, most games are available on Android and Ios, so merge the forums, people can always search.
    For a ux/usability point of view this is a step backwards.

EDIT and was there a discussion is a joke, reading the thread from 2 years ago, in which about 10 people participated, and some wanted it an some didn't. That is not a discussion.

4. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I too miss the separate iPad games section. No big shakes but it's just harder to find Baldur's Gate stuff, and the Shenandoah stuff when they come out as iPad only first. Whilst I didn't always contribute to any of the threads I did read them. Just a wee bit of a shame is all.

5. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Sorry but that's just not true, but whatever..

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    @soup and Mene: The problem's that you guys don't see what the mods and admins can see "behind the scenes". The reason you didn't see any spam and duplicate universal threads (especially the former) is because...well, we (the admins/mods) had been doing quite a good job deleting them.

7. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Tbh I've seen spam in most if not all forums and I always try to report it when seen.

I guess the opinion of 2-3 people is pretty worthless but still, It doesn't hurt to mention we dislike the changes, better that than just vanishing to another site.

8. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    ok so the main argument if i understand correctly is that it was one more forum to control for spam, and people who post universal games in it(which were maybe duplicates)

[sarcasm]well thats me convinced, and i'm sure everyone else will be too [/sarcasm]

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    There's no "main argument" from my side and I'm certainly not trying to convince anyone. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

10. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    I added filter links in the forum description. Can place them elsewhere too

Attached Files:

11. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Just spotted that yesterday.
    It'd be handy in the upcoming as well if you get a chance or if it would apply there.
    It does speed things up substantially if one is looking for a specific format of app or known app that is not universal.
    Very handy indeed.
    I still think the new layout is a major improvement but that little (or not so little) tweak satisfies a need very directly and is one I'm actually using more than I expected when looking for specific non universal apps.
    Thanks.

12. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Since the new layout I've had trouble accessing Touch Arcade from my office computer; I wonder if this isn't because of conflict with work content filters but Touch Arcade worked well before. Any advice on how I can streamline Touch Arcade to work easily with minimal settings? Is there a "text only" option or anything simplier to try? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

13. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Agreed. I miss the user reviews too. I used to find a lot of hidden gems thanks to them. No more now that they're gone.

14. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Yeah, same here. The question remains though, why remove them?

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Only just noticed its gone !

On paper the user reviews is a great idea but it was rarely used, there were 2 reviews in the last 3 months if i remember, the same game was showing for weeks on end as it was the last review. Its not like it was used much. Then you had devs who reviewed their own games !

Just was hardly used.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The user reviews forum has really had interest die off in the last couple years. When we first started it, stuff got posted all the time... But now, like psj said, if there was even a single new review posted in a month it was a good month. Meanwhile, spammers relentlessly posted in that forum, so it just became a massive headache to deal with for everyone on the moderation team.

It's sort of the same story as the iPad forum. When forums aren't active they just collect spam, which makes them annoying to deal with. :)

17. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Understood, thanks for the explanation.

I was going to start posting a lot of reviews, something I like to do in my spare time. Would the general section be an ok spot for me to post them in, or should I not post them at all?

18. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    Add them to the appropriate game thread maybe? Doesn't seem we should clutter the General forum with that because then people will just reply to that review positively or negatively and that discussion should be all in one thread I would think.

In the User Review forum we locked the review to the one post so no one could reply.

19. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Ok, I will post in the game's respective thread. Thanks man!

I always found it odd that the review section had the threads locked down; I always invite people to respond to my reviews so I can get feedback and improve.

20. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There are still a ton of games with inaccurate format labels. For example, the Universal Silversword is indicated as "iPhone" (and SilverSword was only ever iPad only or Universal, never iPhone exclusive) and the Universal Dungeon Masters is indicated as iPad are two I noticed just at a glance.