New pokemon like game for iOS coming, take a look in ZENFORMS: Protectors

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jirayasama, Jan 3, 2012.

1. gwFCCtennis

gwFCCtennis Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    VA
    Looks cool, but something about the GUI doesn't seem to fit in with the graphics style the game has in my opinion.

But i'm definitely going to get this game.

2. Neo-Dragon

Neo-Dragon Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Hey people!
    Sorry I haven't replied in a while - busy coding the game ha.
    I have some screenshots I'd like to share with you!

First up, I did an interview over at neocrisis. It's in 2 parts, but be sure to check it out. It also clears up the story. I believe it's first time I've talked about it:
    http://www.neocrisis.com/interviews/198-video-game-interviews/8746-zenforms-interview-part-1
    http://www.neocrisis.com/interviews/198-video-game-interviews/8747-zenforms-interview-part-2

Speaking of the storyline.
    This is what these new screenshots show off. Ignore what the youtube video shows off in the alpha build. That is not what happens at the start of the game.
    There are the first "official" screenshots from the storyline (taken from the start of the game).

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In these screenshots, the player and his (or her if you pick a female character) friend are standing outside the Protector school the night before both of them start.
    It introduces players to the choice system (screenshot 3). You can make choices, some small and some big, that will effect the storyline, your repuation and moral. The screenshot with the love heart does not mean they are in love with each other, but in love with the idea of becoming Protectors.

Also take a close look at the last screenshot. You can see the best friend (who is called "Keith") is wearing a student Protector uniform.

3. Qurao

Qurao Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Denmark
    #63 Qurao, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
    The interview made for an interesting read. Looking forward to seeing more of the game.

One thing that caught my eye in the screenshots is, that the part of the speech bubbles that "points" at the character speaking is unnecessarily big. There isn't really a reason for it to take up much space, as a tiny one would have the same effect, only without the adverse side-effect of obscuring the player's view.

Another thing that would make it more pleasing to the eye, would be moving the red arrow in the bottom-right of speech bubbles a little to the left. Having it this close to the right edge looks off.

4. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I hope that this will get a universal version or sadly it may have to be a pass for me as much as it looks good and how much I have been wanting a proper game like this on my IPad. I just can't tolerate playing games designed for the iPhone and iTouch in 2x zoom on my iPad and iPad 2. Kairosoft is the only developer I have broken that personal rule for (as they make exceptional games and seem to never be in the mind of making them universal), but when considering purchase iPhone specific games are usually a dis-qualifier for me.

So any plans on this game being at the very least universal or an "HD" version? I am going to still keep my eye out for the release of this though as it looks fantastic, but it is rather disappointing to consider having to play this in 2x zoom...

5. evanc88

evanc88 Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Neo-Dragon, a few questions:

It seems from the interview like you are not planning on beta testing the game. While I personally like the idea of releasing it unfinished to get it out faster, and fixing/adding to it with updates continuously, do you think that will reflect poorly in App Store reviews and overall sales?

Do you have any future plans to add additional Zenforms to the game, or are you planning on sticking with your base 3 and focusing more on storyline?

Should this game be a huge success, will your core development team expand or would you rather keep the operation small? If so, do you think you are prepared to balance updates with development of a potential sequel?

How important is the moral/fame system in the game? Do you miss out on things if you go completely good or completely bad, and will the game have additional save states so that you can play multiple times without overwriting your previous games?

Thanks for continuing to come back to this thread! Can't wait to play the game.

6. Neo-Dragon

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks for reading the interview guys.

I'll answer the questions I've read. Feel free to ask ANY type of question you like. I don't mind answering them. If you wish, you can send me a PM if it's a private question.

@Qurao: The speech spike doesn't look as big as on the device. I noticed taking screenshots and what it looks like on the device tend to be pretty different.

@Bool Zero: I think I might lose you as a fan so. There is no plans to to make the game support iPad resolution. I will tell you I play the game on an iPad at x2 zoom and find it great to play. The art style looks cool, but of course, I would say that :p

@evanc88:I'll break your answers into paragraphs to match how you asked them.

The release idea is something that sounds confusing and I'll be doing my best to explain it. Here is what will happen. When the game is released, it will have 12 outdoor maps, several indoor maps and a few cave maps. It will have over 500 possible looks for each NPC. Side quests and the storyline. Basically, a lot of content. The story will end on a cliff hanger in anticipation for the next update. You can keep playing the game and do side quests after the story "ends". The update will come very quickly. The update will add more of everything. More outfits for the player and NPCs, more side quests, more maps and continue the story. Updates will be free, you will NEVER have to pay with IAPs for storyline.
    I hope when released it is not as confusing as it sounds. I think people will understand a lot more when the game is out.

No additional ZENFORMS will be added. The plan is to keep the 93 that is there now. Something different then some other monster games is that the move pool a ZENFORM has will change based on where they were found. In a way, it will feel like a whole new ZENFORM or ZENFORM line lol.

I develop this game for the passion of it. I love ZENFORMS and I want to play a finished product as much as anyone. I have road map of the updates and a second game is always something that can happen in the future. If I do earn money from the game, my focus will be on adding content to the game- since all my artwork (well most) is from commissioned artists. I would always love to see if anyone is looking to be part of the team in the future!

The fame/moral and the choices you make can seriously impact the game.
    Something I've even said before is picking your gender will REALLY impact storyline. If you have a male character, you will have a sister who has information on the school attack, if you pick a female character you will have a brother who is accused by the detective of being the person who did the attack. So even with different genders you can see how drastic story can change - since you won't experience one of that branches of the storyline.
    This also feeds into the second part of the question. There is currently only ONE save file for this reason. I don't want players changing their choices. I want them to stick by what they choose. I might add a second save file but no more then that..

With that said, as members like Qurao will tell you. I'm VERY VERY open to feedback and change. Please tell me what you like so I can make more of it and want you don't like so I can refine or remove it! Cheers!

7. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    #67 Ghostz, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    I think you should add a bike or some sort of alternate transportation if you haven't already

8. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    That fame/moral system Is really getting me excited

9. rooteboy

rooteboy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Student/Beta Tester
    Earth......for now
    Will there be zenform breeding to get rare zenforms?

10. itouchbd

itouchbd Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    id like to know as well are their legendary zenforms? also some things i'd like to praise you for is making the customized outfits and i like how the landscape tends to be more realistic with things such as soccer fields, schools, highways, different parts of a city, etc. i was curious though as to the rest of the landscape like will we see deserts, mountains, islands, beaches, and rainforrests? one thing you should include if not already is a variety of landscapes because it allows you to travel and feel like your going somewhere completely different. will we be getting hms/tools that will allow you to get certain places like pokemon?

11. jirayasama

jirayasama Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Network Admin
    Brasil
    @neo_dragon i have 2 questions
    1 - multiplayer battles between friends
    2 - multiplayer zenforms exchanges

12. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    not really ssure if those are questions but he said in the interview that he'd love to do multiplayer if the game becomes successful enough

13. SuperMexican

SuperMexican Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Athlete at Nike Factory Kansas City
    Kansas City, Kansas
    is there going to be some sort of storage system for monsters so we can catch more than just what is on our teams

14. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    A wild razescal has appeared! *Forever alone face*. It would be nice if you could implement a system where you could have your favorite zenform follow you around.

15. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    Yeah, I'm sure he is going to implement a special one at each of our request. You must be on the right track there.

He already said no additional ones would be added.

16. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    #76 Ghostz, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
    Yeah i know but he said he was open to new ideas. Didn't hurt to try though :). But it would be cool . Also i hope he does add more later because eventually we would find each type, so more would need to be added later on.

17. SpaceEmotion

SpaceEmotion New Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Okay, here are some answers of the second developer ^^

The "legendary" ZENFORMS you are speaking about are like the grand ZENFORMS in our game. Because they were never seen, they are some kind of a legend.

We (NeoDragon and me) already talked about various landscapes, but they won't be included in Version 1 (except the cities, caves and highways).

Yes, there will be the ZENStorage system (name may will be changed). We won't have something like a PKMN Center in every town, the storage boxes will be spreaded around the world

18. jeff500

jeff500 New Member

Dec 22, 2011
    So someone just mentioned the PKMN center and then I remembered how much I hated wasting potions or having to run all the way back to a center when I was forever away. What would be awesome would be a system that lets you take a nap and heal your party every *something* minutes. If you were to let the char nap after every fight then that would be broken, but putting a time interval on it could actual be really beneficial if the distance between centers is far and I "accidentally" ran out of potions/food (or whatever you are calling them).

Also I'm hoping for snow areas or Christmas time in future updates. Updating for holidays is always cool.

19. Neo-Dragon

Jan 4, 2012
    New ZENFORM debate

Hey everyone.
    We have an important question we want to ask fans of the game.

Based on feedback, we know fans want more ZENFORMS. More wild ZENFORMS and more "legendary" style ZENFORMS.

We have designed a plan that will add a whole new branch for the Newborns which will start at the Adolescent stage (2nd stage of evolution- 3rd stage including Newborn) and carry into the Grand stage (4th stage of evolution- 5th stage including Newborn).
    The plan will increase the number of ZENFORMS from 93 to 132.
    The pros are obvious, more zenforms, more possible choices for teams, and so on.
    The con is it will take about a month to get the sprites and the cost of the work.
    Please let us know if your interested in this number! If you are, we'll get to work on it right away! We already have the potential ZENFORMS designed, it's just getting them sprited and adding them to the game.

20. SuperMexican

SuperMexican Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Athlete at Nike Factory Kansas City
    Kansas City, Kansas
    As much as i hate to see the game get delayed that sounds like a really good idea to me, im so glad you want to perfect this game