Universal New Star Soccer (by New Star Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by pjft, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I second every one of the points above.

2. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    New update is out - and finally, Sponsors react positively to Star Man awards!

In terms of the properties, I believe that they are cumulative, but I can't promise. I bought them in order, I guess. I recover 80/90% of my stamina in between games.

I believe most of these have already been suggested to the developer, and he mentioned in his Twitter feed a couple of days ago that he really wanted to get Continental and International competitions in there - let's keep our fingers crossed! :)

As for the transfers, I also get that, and I reported it in the past, so I'm confident he's aware of it.

I also suggested that if we have two games in the same week, we shouldn't recover as much stamina as when we have 2 games in different weeks. It kind of made sense, and makes it a bit more of a balancing act.

Finally - and feel free to insult me :) - I feel that the game gets a bit unbalanced after the first few seasons. One of the reasons, I feel, is that the 70$ boots give you a huge boost, so I think that their price should also scale - just like the drinks. The reasoning for it is that otherwise you're just a superhero all the time. I believe that the drinks price scale with your star level - I wouldn't mind seeing those boots scaling with the star level as well.

Case in point: 70$ times star level. I'm currently level 30, so they'd cost me 2100$. It seems a lot, but:
    - They last for 40 matches and give you a 40 points boost in Pace, Vision and Technique out of 100 points;
    - In 40 matches, you'll certainly get at least 2800$, since unless you managed to screw up your contract somewhere, your wage should rarely be less than your star level, and I'm not even counting sponsors and goal bonuses...

This way you'd have something more to manage, and to keep the challenge up. Otherwise it's way too easy to become a superstar early in the game and just keep up the form.

I'm currently aged 29, and having maxed out all skills and lifestyle, I have no real expenses asides from the 70$ boots and the energy drinks from time to time, but the money just piles up in the bank.

3. siread

siread Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Thanks for the great suggestions. I need to sort a few Android issues first but then I will get back to adding new features. :)

4. chris1215

chris1215 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I really can't understand why this has not made the front page of TA. This deserves a lot of recognition

5. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Well, let's hope time takes it there. It is definitely a great game, done by one indie developer who has, so far, reacted very timely to problems and suggestions that the community has put out there.

It certainly might not be everyone's cup of tea, but someone here said that "It's like the sim of a Kairosoft game with interactivity which makes it awesome", and I think that's very accurate. I've been playing this non-stop since the release, and I can honestly say that I have played very little else in these past weeks thanks to New Star Soccer - even with an iPad and a PS3 at home, with so many games in the backlog.

Now with the latest update, it's an even more solid game, and if you follow Simon on his Twitter feed (@newstargames) he will from time to time post up a few thoughts on what he's thinking of adding. I can't really recommend this game enough.

6. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Small update from the developer's Twitter moments ago:

This is great news - meaning that shortly after it should be submitted to Apple, and it's just waiting for it to be approved. How are you guys doing in your careers?

I've been through Portugal, England, Spain, Germany, Italy, and then went to Brazil and I'm currently in Japan... I think I might be missing one country somewhere, but without a way to keep track of our careers, this is the best I can remember :)

7. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Small update:

From the developer's Twitter stream, the latest version (in testing) has the previously mentioned International call-ups, but it also has Club Continental competitions - i.e. UEFA CL, Europa League and Copa Libertadores-like competitions :)

I can't wait for us all to get our hands on it! My 33-year-old player is needing a few new challenges after all this globe-trotting. I'm now in Argentina!

8. DGee

DGee Member

#108 DGee, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
    So glad I clicked on this thread out of curiosity, it deserves much more publicity. As a fan of Gremlin Graphics' Footballer of the Year series way back when, this is just what I've wanted on iOS (only played it on iPhone 4S so far but will try it on iPad later). Can't believe I paid £20 for FOY all those years ago yet this is 69p :)

Looking forward to future updates - I've already told several friends to download it and buy the career mode as it deserves support.

9. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    DGee - very happy that this thread got your attention. I too agree that this deserves much more publicity - I'm not sure it was even considered for TA's Game of the Week when it came out (not sure what the criteria are, either).

Still, I'm very happy that I paid for the game, and I've been trying to support this, since it's developed by an indie developer and yet manages to be one of the most entertaining - and addictive - mobile gaming experiences I've had, probably since I started playing games on my mobile!

As I mentioned, the International call-ups are coming, and the Continental Competitions as well, so you can look forward to playing in the World Cup for your country, and in the European Championship, Copa America or African Cup of Nations in the future, as well as having the incentive to stay in the same club for longer, to win the UEFA CL, Europa League, or Copa Libertadores.

Let's hope that when the update hits in a few weeks, that this thread will pick up the pace again.

10. doveyy04

doveyy04 Member

Apr 22, 2012
    New ideas for a great game

Firstly what a superb game, love the idea and way it's all set out. So addictive, best 69p I've spent ever. Now for some ideas that I hope will get taken on board. The 1st 2 seasons was I though a good process, went from conferenence north to conference premier and all seemed good but then it just got too easy too quick, by season 3 was in premiership and season 4 at man utd with only third of the way in lifestyle stats and third of way in all skills not counting the boots boost. Ok am not scoring loads in premier and it's but harder to intercept ball but passing is still way too easy. Simple solution to all this is make passing harder in higher leagues, I though defenders would be a lot tighter and goalkeepers would be better. Also I love the idea of the boots but it just gets to simple to buy the best boots and u just get more out of one pair of boots then 4 seasons of training, so water down the effect of boots a bit. Also maybe just not get man u etc signing for u unless u r very high in skill stats not a third of the way up!!. Please hoping for nation call ups world cup u21 etc and continental competitions. What does everyone else think to what I've said?

11. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hi Dovey,

Thanks for registering and for your first post! All your comments definitely make sense, and I'm sure Simon will take the into account. Actually the lack of activity here from him I assume must be related to his recent Twitter post here:

NewStarGames Twitter feed

I can't blame him, though, for delaying the update a bit at the moment ;)

That being said, I know he has been working in the Call-ups for the World Cup, Continental International Competitions and Continental Club Competitions. That would mean, for an European like me, European Championship, World Cup, Uefa CL, Europa League - and the respective competitions in other continents.

Last I heard from him, those were being tested, and would hopefully be coming out soon-ish. I imagine, though, that bringing so many competitions to the game at once will require a bit of testing - especially the World Cups and Continental International Competitions, since they only happen every 4 seasons :p I am confident.

I agree with the keeper difficulty, and that is something that I have reported in the past as well. I also suggested in the past something about the price of the boots scaling with the Star Level, since 70$ gives you 40 extra skill points on 3 skills, and it's quite easy to get to those boots and then just keep relying on them.

If you want to read more about it, he recently gave some interviews here:

The Indie Jar NSS Interview

PocketTactics NSS Interview

I'll agree: some of the best money spent on mobile so far from my end - and it's 2,49€ on Android, which is where I'm playing it. I went on and purchased NSS5 on my desktop as well, but mobile is my main time sink.

12. doveyy04

doveyy04 Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Thanks for your information PJFT, nice to know things are moving forward with the game and cant wait for the updates. For now am seeing how things go with playing for MAN UTD but think for a challenge am going to restart the game and see how far i get without using boots as I think they help too much, like the idea of raising the prices with ur star level like what happens with drinks. Few more thoughts about the game.... think there is too many 5+ goal thrillers, should have player of the year for club country and continent, how you perform in a game has too much influence on the result creating strange league positions, 3 difficulty levels maybe increase the ball speed that you have to touch with each difficulty level

13. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Dovey, that's excellent feedback.

Since I'm not sure if Simon comes here often, I encourage you drop him a line at [email protected] - I'm sure he'll love to hear from you and hear your thoughts on this.

I'm also considering restarting my career (I'm now like age 37 :p) when the new update hits, and start from scratch. I'll also refrain from using the boots - or probably force myself to buy them gradually according to my star rating. Let's see :)

14. doveyy04

doveyy04 Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Reading a lots of reviews on iPhone app store that when you start a new career the game crashes!!!!! Could be just iPhone thou

15. doveyy04

doveyy04 Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Has anyone won the premiership yet or any other big league title, I've maxed out on everything apart from private island, I keep my girlfriend and sponsors full for every game in fact everything stays full, I pass nearly every pass apart from attempt on goal, I intercept most times and score 35+ goals a season and play for the team that wins the league every year when I don't play for them. Just can't win the league, my team just can't score on there own now or hit a barn door when I pass to them, not like in lower leagues where team helped out. Am gonna try using 3 hearts all game and drink at half time

16. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hi Dovey,

I did win the Premiership a couple of times - actually I make it a point of not leaving the country before I win the big title.

My main strategy is to max out the lifestyle, so I get maximum stamina recovery between matches, and team mates relationship as well. Then I just play at medium rate until 50 mins, and then change to max.

I personally don't find my team mates to be all that bad - In my whole career (age 38 now), I have 804 matches, 817 goals and 429 assists, so it's like a 2:1 ratio in terms of goals to assists, and almost a 1:1 ratio in terms of goals per match, I guess. Not overly bad - I don't feel I have to do all the work, maybe only in the hardest games.

Your team's quality will affect your teammates' quality, and the speed they run at. I find it that for them to score it's much more an affair of you placing the ball in a position where it's a good place for your team mate to shoot from, instead of just placing the ball straight to his feet. I find that sometimes I end up lobbing the ball a bit to their front, so they run to a specific place, more in front of the goal, or away from the defenders in order to shoot better, and that affects their goal probability. It might be just my imagination, but try it and see if it works for you!

Also, I feel longer passes increase the chances of a dangerous play coming out of it - so there's a reward to pass to the farthest player, instead of the ones closer to you.

I've won the league in Portugal, UK, Spain, Italy, Germany, Brazil, Japan and lately in Argentina so far, so I'm sure you'll manage it as well. :)

Cheers,

Paulo

17. doveyy04

doveyy04 Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Thanks pjft, I have actually finally just won the league at the 6th attempt.... Phew. It seems the game doesn't let you win the league if your lifestyle stats are not full ie girlfriend team boss etc and even though I was full on all them I let them slip a bit and also only played with 2 hearts during game so this season I kept everything full and played with 3 hearts (having to drink at half time) and along with playing well (58 goals in 47 games) I won the league. I like your idea of passing the ball better, I just make sure it gets to there feet but will try passing into better positions now. I will also try and use 2 hearts then 3 hearts as its hard to keep buying drinks every game and still have money for extra drinks to keep every stat on full. Thanks for your information

18. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #118 pjft, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  19. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Guys, the update is out on the App Store!

This looks like a huge update! Can't wait to get home and download it :)

20. trundley

trundley Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Finally! I managed to get into Liverpool after chelsea, Man U and Man C negotiations went terribly :D

When the update says i can view how much i cost for a transfer, in stars, where do i view this?

I just managed to get my relationship with england manager to full but i have to wait until Year 9 of the game before i can play internationally :(