News on Rolando 2

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by theone1007, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Im pretty sure we will hear about Touch Pet Dogs soon. 3.0 is launching and ngmoco needs all the in-game purchase mechanisms before they can launch the game.

2. mjmoco

mjmoco Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    San Francisco
    Hi gang-

I want to know what you want to know about Rolando 2.

Simon Oliver is currently a shout away--we have him holed up in a corner of ngmoco HQ while he cranks away on Rolando 2--and I want to ensure I'm taking advantage of his proximity. Let me know which parts of the game you'd like a closer look at, and I do my best to make it happen.

Cheers,

MJ

3. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    I'd like to see the level select screen, and maybe some footage of the first level. :)
    Or the menu screen, is it anything like Rolando's?
    Is there going to be an option for regular 2D, or is it always going to be 2.5D? It looks cool though!
    I'd pretty much like to see as much as I can!

4. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    I have Rolando and while it was good, it wasn't worth the 9.99 I paid. It certainly wasn't as good as I thought it would be according to the reviews and the hype so I'm a bit hesitant to buy this. If it's 9.99 as well, I definitely won't buy it but if it's several dollars less than I might give it a chance.

5. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    I really just want to see anything new right now. LOL. A estimate of how much it will be would be nice as well.

6. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    I'm thinking that they'll put it the same price as Rolando was when it first came out and lower Rolando to like, 4.99 or something.

7. cjb43

cjb43 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Just a general question. Will the levels be about as long as those in the first Rolando?

8. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Well, no one knows at this point so your guess is as good as ours.

9. cjb43

cjb43 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    I was directing the question at mjmoco.

10. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    oh, well sorry i didn't know since you didn't specify and you posted on a public forum with thousands of users. :p

11. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I'm happy leaving R2 as a surprise. I would, however, like to know what is up with the latest update to Rolando having taken ~ 3 weeks so far from submission.

Apparently it is only one more level, which is useful as it means there is an even number left to release, whether in 3 lots of 2 or 2 lots of 3, but whether it will even happen this year seems uncertain. And Googling Rolando 1.7 doesn't come up with anything so I guess that further 'weekly' update hasn't gone in yet :).

12. mjmoco

mjmoco Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    San Francisco
    Here's the skinny. The levels are generally bigger in Rolando 2 than in Rolando, and there are over 40 of them. While some levels will feature more complicated puzzles, others will be quick, action-oriented affairs.

Also, we've listened to feedback from players who were frustrated by a few of Rolando's puzzles and came up with a way of letting you skip to the end of levels if you get stuck. We've hidden these super rare exit idols throughout the game. When you find one, you'll be get the ability to warp to a future level's exit gate.

[​IMG]

13. mjmoco

mjmoco Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    San Francisco
    Rolando 1.7 is still in submission. Approval can take anywhere from 7 to 30 days. We, too, are hoping it'll be out soon.

14. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I always thought Hand Circus developed Rolando, and ngmoco was publishing it :confused:

15. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    there will be a lite version right? i mean, it looks great but i want to try it first

16. mjmoco

mjmoco Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    San Francisco
    You're right. Hand Circus (as is in the one-man micro studio Simon Oliver) is the developer and ngmoco is the publisher. But we do work closely together. In fact, he's been working on Rolando 2 from our office in San Francisco for the last month.

17. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Which means Rolando 2 is near hopefully? :)

18. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    That's some pretty sweet info, and i like how the push-block looks in 2.5D there. IMO the puzzles could happily be ramped up a bit - the latest secret levels did some quite cool things with coordination and the swiping finger, and I'm sure new elements will make a big difference :).

Re the bit re the coming R1 updates, you mean 1.7 has been submitted? 1.6 was on 29/5 and hasn't come yet, and I can imagine it being skipped altogether if another one is in already. Too fast for Apple :).

19. mjmoco

mjmoco Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ah. Then I meant 1.6. My bad. Regardless, we're still waiting for our latest submission to be approved.

MJ

20. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Whoa whoa wait... ONE GUY MADE ROLANDO?? What a tank...