Universal NightSky - (by Nicalis) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 13, 2013.

1. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I do not see Sanuku's usual excellent game play video posted in the thread yet, but it is up on YouTube.

2. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Love the look of this game. I'm always in the lookout for world of goo type games and this seems to fit the atmosphere and look.

How many levels in this one?

3. decabao

decabao Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Ca 130

4. phort99

phort99 New Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Yes and yes!

Keep an eye out on the area select screen for secret stars. They are quite well hidden in the levels, so look everywhere!

It's actually 262 levels! Alternative mode (hard mode) doubles the level count, because every level is redesigned for an extra challenge.

5. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Haven't tried the hard mode yet. Can u give an example how a puzzle would be made more difficult?

Also any hope for updates with new levels?

6. Underwater

Underwater Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Atlantis
    This game is really fun, highly recommended for 99c, it's a steal. I love the art style very much, and the gameplay is smooth. I like the dark atmosphere, it fits the game. And I never thought 'viewing' the credits could be so fun.

7. phort99

phort99 New Member

Mar 14, 2013
    #47 phort99, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    The alternative levels generally require a lot more finesse and mastery of the controls, so they're best played after you've beaten the main game. As an example, there's one level where in Normal mode you just have to push a circular object across the level. In the Alternative version you have to balance yourself on top of that object like you're log-rolling.

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Glad I have this another go. Fantastic game!

9. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I'm confused. So you can see where the hidden stars are on the Area Select screen. The star is either white or black, which color have I already found? Also, are the stars visible on the play area?

10. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Help please?

I am hoping for advice on the Digital controls.
    On the right hand side, there are three buttons. The X appears to slow down the ball, whereas the circle speeds up. There is also a little dot in between them that appears to do something?

Also, when trying to grab the stars; I was able to hit the second star without problem, but whenever I try to hit the first one, where you speed up and go left up the circular ramp, I seem to be flying right over where the star is shown on the Levels screen, but I never nab it?? What could I be doing wrong please?

Any information much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I am not a big fan of physics puzzlers, but NightSky is definitely one of the best i have played and i couldnt put it down. I'm already in Aurora's North and that's second to the last of the worlds.

Although there is one flaw in this game that could easily be exploited. Some puzzles are easier to complete using certain controls methods. Switching controls sometimes make a few puzzles easier. Nothing that breaks the game, but may be exploited to make some puzzles easy.

Overall, highly recommended, and is one of the 4 premiums i bought this week in which ALL 4 did not disappoint one bit.

Cheers~

12. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

While I am still mostly enjoying this so far, I find it a bit hard to come to terms with a physics based game that...arbitrarily changes the laws of physics and limits your interactions. The whole point of a game like this, to me, is in learning what you can and can't do, and becoming progressively more adept at achieving the former - you aren't afforded that freedom here.

Also, I don't see why restarting on one screen takes me two or three screens back. Annoying.

Overall, I see this as a promising title, unfortunately destined for the "delete" pile shortly due to some questionable design choices.

Also, one of the worst icons ever.

13. racer-007

racer-007 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Well, this same game scored some really good reviews on the major sites upon its PC release...

Anyway, I feel kind of a dungu cause I didn't know you could change to buttons instead of swiping. Much better and hopefully I put together a proper session with the game later on.

14. racer-007

racer-007 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    For fairness I think digital controls are the best then. This is what I presume is used on the PC version.

I simply found the swipe controls too tedious...

15. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    HELP pretty please?!

Can anyone give me any hints or ideas please??:confused:

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    That dot is basically nothing. Just a way to separate the buttons.

As far as stars are concerned, they're hidden around levels randomly. The star in the corner of the level in the Area Select screen just tells you that there's a hidden star in that specific area, but not where its located. ;)

17. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Muchas Gracias MC!

18. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Ok, still banging my head against a wall getting that first star.
    when trying to grab the stars; I was able to hit the second star without problem, but whenever I try to hit the first one, where you speed up and go left up the circular ramp, I seem to be flying right over where the star is shown on the Levels screen, but I never nab it??i have now covered every inch of that screen,cand no star
    Please, I have wasted enough time on this one star, so if you could please tell me how to ge it, I will be eternally gracious!!

19. phort99

phort99 New Member

Mar 14, 2013
    The stars are not hidden in the place where the star icon is shown on the area select. They are somewhere in that level, but the image on the area select doesn't tell you where specifically. Look for nooks and crannies. The screen will go black and show a star image when you earn it.

20. PlexShaw

PlexShaw Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    London, UK
    Missed it at the 24-hour-only discount price. :(

I've stuck it on my Watch List on the TA app and will pick it up the next time the price drops.