Universal Nimian Legends : BrightRidge HD (by Robert Kabwe)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by redribbon, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Protopop

Protopop Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thank you Josh - im really glad to here you enjoy the exploration aspect. There's so much temptation to throw easy violence in, and to be honest the update is probably going to have a bit more 'action', but the REAL draw for me is building a world that you can just experience, walk through, look at. I'm going to be thinking a lot about how to introduce adventure without violence necessarily being the key? Im not all for no violence in games, but in this world I feel it's going to need a balance. Anyways those are really kind words and I hope you enjoy the discovery (did you find the 'eagle' yet?)

2. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks Taiga - ooo i gotta warn you though it won't work on iPod unfortunately. I have a few people who installed it and it didn't work. It's frustrating and I wish i could guarantee it working on A5 devices like iPad Mini and iPod 5G, but it might not be possible. But I do plan on trying to optimize it so we'll see, and the optimizations improve the general speed of the app on all supported devices at the same time. I'm about to release iPad 4 and up support, so if you happen to have one of those devices you'll be able to play it on them. (actually you can do that now if you have an iPad Air/4/Mini retina by downloading the iPhone version and playing that in compatibility mode).

3. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Oh man Chaos_u- thank you for sharing this - that's so cool to see people playing the game. I'm going to watch the whole thing tonight because it's kind of like getting free play testing:) Watching what people do is a real eye opener.

4. ReddestDream

ReddestDream Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Student
    NC, USA
    Will iPad support be coming in an update or will it be a separate app?

I'd like to play this with full support on my iPad, and I'll buy it now if a update is coming with iPad support included . . .

Otherwise, I'll wait for the iPad version of the game . . .

5. Hypocrypha

Hypocrypha Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2014
    WOW! Thanks for your reply beyond expectations!! Gonna post this game link all over our Facebook profiles!

6. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Played for a bit on iPad 1x mode. Still looks good. The first thing I did was travel to the edges to see what would happen. I have always been fascinated with the "end of the world' when playing games like this. Had a blast the first time I ever freely spectated in Call of Duty games.
    Once while playing PO'ed for 3DO, I shot out of a secret trap door in a wall into "space" which was really just a boxed room of stars, and went so fast I ended up past the "wall" outside the level and stayed alive and got to float around in the nothing. Ever since then I have tried to find these things. Never played but read up extensively on the old Minecraft Far Lands.
    Anyway, if you think you might ever add some secrets like this that would be cool. I still explore hoping to find a glitch.

7. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    What's the file size?

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Ever thought about removing the spear from the character and market it as kid-friendly?
    I showed it to my 3-year old, and he quite liked the graphics, even tried to walk around on his own a bit.
    You should contact Moms with Apps and similar sites. I'm not an expert for kid-stuff, but there you find them galore.

Hhmm, two things come to mind:
    1) Have it start in "child mode" (with a child character) and hide the big guy behind a parents-only menu (PIN-protected or such) .
    2) Think I know someone to talk to, let me check...

9. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    #69 Protopop, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    The update will be a universal app so if you already paid for it you should be able to just download the iPad version:) Im double checking it for bugs and I think i'll be able to submit it this weekend.

10. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    108mb - i was actually surprised it was so small

11. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Okay. When is the iphone six coming out? I need an upgrade. My 64gb is full lol. I buy and install way to many games!!!!!! I'm going to have to delete some of them.... Oh it's like deleting children though...... Noooooooo. I need a 256gb phone. Iphone 6, I will buy you if you got a terabyte in ya!

12. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    That's hilarious. I used to do the same thing all the time. I distinctly remeber being on the first island in Grand Theft Auto 3 and running around the perimiter, along the concrete seawall thing, down south then back around by the beaches below the rich houses on the hill - its like i was sniffing out my territory and then everything inside the perimeter now belonged to me:)

Funny enough, there's a big hole in the terrain i only spotted after i submitted it. Find the windmill, and nearby there's a tower that's tipped diagonally on the hill. I think near there, if you drop off the edge of the terrain onto the rocks below there's a HUGE gap that if i was smart about it i should turn into a cave (I just made a note of that) - anyways you can walk under it and right under the terrain, see the grass from the other side etc.. If you walk far enough you'll pop back on the correct side of the terrain.

One more kind of secret place, not really a secret but hard to find
    in the chasm near the entrance on the end that doesn't have the 2 giantstatues theres a gap in the wall and a secret grotto behind and one under water, both with a grisly secret

13. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    That would be amazing - thanks:) Every bit of exposure gets me closer to being able to create worlds full time.

14. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    It's hard to picture that in this game because it's part of a larger, established mythos, but it's easy to imagine it in a reskinned game using the same content and engine. That's real food for thought - thank you.

15. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    I made a quick message about needing more space while I waited for this to download. Anyway, I shoulda waited to talk. This game is staggering. It's awesome. For once I really am using the word awesome for its real meaning. The music fits perfectly with the setting and gives you a huge sense of wonder. I found some teleporter and holy crap some of the scenes I am seeing are utterly... Awesome. Heh. Good job! This was only you doing this dev? Very nicely done. I don't even care if I ever come across anyone to fight, in all honesty I was looking for a way to put the spear away because fighting would just ruin the staggering awe and tranquility of this. No aggression needed. The search is giving me goose bumps! Some of the scenes are increadible. You did a wild job. I'm from Canada and I ended up in a frozen tundra like area with snow. It was brilliant. The immersion is brilliant.

Great job! I'm gonna go wander around some more and stare at all the sites! I wish we had a little more free range with the camera so we could look around a bit better and see more of your increadible job, also no spear button would rule :D (I usually am all about the gutting of zombies, the rattattta of a machine gun or a nice good stabbing with a pitchfork but all that is to far below this masterpiece.).

I am going wandering. See you guys later..... Much much later

16. Hypocrypha

Hypocrypha Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2014
    #76 Hypocrypha, Jul 23, 2014
    Man you're pushing my buttons! I loved walking out in multiplayer on the first HALO on Mac, walked forever through the sea, land dissapeared, then the water got shallow and then became cobble stone under like a foot of water til I hit a wall.
    Speaking of BUNGIE, I'm not big on all these RPGs people are saying, but I am HOPING someone makes a M.Y.T.H. The Fallen Lords for ios. This kinda made he think of MYTH before seeing those pipes that reminded me of ZORK. Oh and your story lines, AND making one universal app decisions: dude you're amazing!
    And thanks for some of the tips. There's should be a thread just for spoilers lol

17. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Wow this is really an amazing experience. It feels relaxing and exciting at the same time to explore the scenery and discover new things. The graphics and the music create the right atmosphere and I feel completely emerged in what's on the screen, like going on a holiday in your lazy chair at home! Can't wait to play it on my iPad to see it all on a bigger screen!

18. bruno7

bruno7 New Member

May 9, 2012
    Male
    Prague
    Well. It looks really good, the graphics are pretty amazing.
    But the strange thing is that it seems my character cannot get hurt or die, even falling down from those giant statues. :)

But the worst thing is that it makes my iP5S really really hot and it eats my battery very quickly - I'm talking 10% in like 5 minutes!
    We'll see how it turns out. Can't play it as it is right now.

19. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #79 Vovin, Jul 23, 2014

SotC... wow, I loved it. And I loved ICO. In SotC, while you were riding through the lands, I always hoped the ride wouldn't end. SotC is a great example for what can you do with just a few similiar colours and ICO was fantastic just because of the world's design.

Well, I love that your world is in constant motion... the water, the river and the grass, for example, and with all those little additional touches like mist/fog, sun reflections, birds and deer, it feels living and breathing, and not just taken out of a box. So many worlds that I visited in my 25 years as a gamer just felt static, lifeless or simply put together because.
    Sure, there's always stuff to improve, but this world is already mature and just waiting to be filled with a story and quests. I'd love to see an old mine at a hill side, or maybe a dangerous lair of a bear, but it is still great just to run around in it and explore it.
    My point is, that you can have the best story with the coolest monsters and loot and stuff, but if the world isn't believable, if the world makes no sense, then even the best story and fiercest monsters can't save the day.
    It's your world that makes me say: yes, this makes sense.

edit: Geez. Turning into an eagle and flying around is just... wow. The whole feeling of coolness while exploring just went up another notch. I really had to write Josh a PM about the game. I'd love to hear his opinion.

20. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    #80 redribbon, Jul 23, 2014
    no problem friend. happy on doing that :)

thats what first come in mind when i saw and playing this game. the exploration and the beautiful landscape are totally mind blowing for me. i really hope the dev make a new game out of it and add quest, enemies, weapons, animal special ability, etc, well i guess I'm asking too much :p. but believe me that ill be the first to throw 9.99 bucks, may be more depends on the content, when the dev make that game.

i know, right ? :D that is truly awesomeness that you have to experience by yourself.