Universal Nimian Legends : BrightRidge HD (by Robert Kabwe)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by redribbon, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Protopop

Protopop Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    great artwork:) My goal is to switch to a moose or true reindeer - something shaggy, suited to life in Tiviscus. Something with wild horns.

There will also be Ice Baedles, icy blue versions of those pink buggy things.

Thats my favorite shot too. Its one of my keyshots that im using to get the Vandgels style - dramatic lighting, vast scale, verticality.

It's also the opening shot, and ive had it in my head for years:)

Right now im blocking it out - getting the lighting, testing architecture. Im really happy with the story too.

[​IMG]

2. shining jade

shining jade Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    #1642 shining jade, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Yea ! A maybe is better then nothing I'm so happy there could be hope for this idea o.o

Heck if it needs to be a paid inapp I'd pay for that in app long as it worked ok on my iPod 6 o.o the only devices that uses VR headset in my possession

3. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Is that with google cardboard? Im going to try it - maybe i can learn something new:)

I actually bought the oculus rift beta hardware back in the day, but when they released the final it doesnt work on Mac so i stopped development. But its very interesting to me, and when i tried it for the first time and looked around my jaw dropped - VR needs tweaking but the idea is very impressive when you see it in action:)

4. shining jade

shining jade Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    I use a plastic headset from five below
    https://www.fivebelow.com/virtual-reality-3d-headset-e03e35.html
    Love it mines a all black model

5. AL3X83

AL3X83 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Wanted to share my crash info, I'm running a iPhone 6 on iOS 9.3.5. Right after the Lightning scene in the first chapter starts the game crashes on me every time.

6. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Neat! Thanks for the tip - that looks pretty cool.

Im about to release the Android Aloha test for the game, then the Apple TV version. Then i will take a look at VR - its soething i should keep my eye on:)

7. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks AL3X83 for letting me know, and I'm sorry about that.

yeah that is an especially CPU intensive scene.

Ive made some optimizations specifically to this scene because it's a problem area. These changes will be in BrightRidge version 7.0. I dont have a release date, but i will try to make it as soon as possible. The optimizations include removing the storm serpents that appear at the start of the quest, and removing their shadow casting, which you couldnt see anyways. It takes a lot of pressure off the scene.

In the meantime, a workaround would be to open OPTIONS > CHAPTERS, and just skip to the next chapter. Bot ideal but doable.

If the game is reloading this scene from your save and crashing before you can do that, you can goto the splash screen and choose options>reset. this will erase your game, but you can then load up The Ballad of brightRidge again, and then goto Options > Chapters and go back to where you left off or just after it. You can unlock any chapters at any time by clicking Unlock on each chapter page.

I hope this helps and sorry again - i hate crashes when they happen to players, and i hate it when it happens to me, so i feel your pain. Please know i am always working on the game, and update 7.0 is mostly about polish and optimization,so hopefully we will see better performance in the next update.

Thanks again for trying the game:)

8. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Hi everyone:) This post can also be forund here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=3988433#post3988433

I created an open adventure game for IOS called Nimian Legends : BrightRidge, and now have the Android version ready, and i'm looking for testers.

I'm waiting to hear back from Google about the correct way to set up an alpha test, and hopefully it will be available soon.

If you're interested in being a tester, please email me at robert at protopop dott com, and i will add your email to the testing lest. When it's up you should get an email about where to download the file.

Thank you:)

PS you can see the IOS overview here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nimian-legends-brightridge/id1021026309?ls=1&mt=8

Nimian Legends : BrightRidge on Google Nexus 5
    [​IMG]

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #1649 Nullzone, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Ah, that's why you been relatively quiet, working with the clearly inferior platform ;)

Fingers crossed that all goes well with Android testing and release. Just keep in mind that the correct answer for most problems there is "sod off and get a device and OS that more people than just you use."
    Not kidding, there are so many obscure combos in the wild, you'll go nuts if you try to sort out problems there. E.g. I recall someone recently mentioning an issue that only occured on some weird Polish homebrew Android clone in a specific version and only on a specific equally obscure device.

Here's a fancy graphic for '14 and '15 (didn't find one for '16), enjoy: https://thenextweb.com/insider/2015/08/05/this-is-what-android-fragmentation-looks-like-in-2015 :p

In other news, I just recommended NL:BR to a colleague who isn't into shooters etc., but likes good graphics and adventure-style exploring. He told that he got an iPhone 7 and finally bought his first game, and is searching around for good-looking games. Had my iPad with me as always on smokebreaks, so I could go "oh wait a second, I have just the thing right here..." Yes, he was pretty impressed by what I could show him in a minute or two ;)

10. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    I can't wait to try the apple tv version! :D

11. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks for the enthusiasm ac166 - Me too:)

Ive played BrightRidge on my TV using bluetooth streaming from my phone. Even at the low ohone res it looks pretty good.

Apple TV is about as powerful as an iPad Air 2, which means ill be able to run the game in a nice medium-high quality.

Right now the Android version is going up for testing. Then i am adding Mifi controller support for IOS and Android. The side effect is it will work nicely for the Apple TV version.

Ill keep everyone posted here

12. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks for sharing:) I'm happy you're in my corner - you're so resourceful.

Yeah, when i went on the play store dev section it was like "Devices supported: 8090" or something, there were just as many unsupported and i was like "wow, i though IOS was fragmented"

I'm glad you gave me the good reminder about being zen here, and im prepared for it.

Android has a better return system i think, and i will offer refunds for at least 48hours most likely. That way anyone who gets burned won't be out of luck.

I know I cant possibly test all devices - i only have one, a Nexus 5 from 2013 - so i will just do what i do on IOS - optimize and continue to build a game out of love for the genre.

I think coming from Flash and HTML has helped because i basically have optimization built into my work flow - im a lowest common denominator kind of man:)

Its been a very difficult road to android - ive found it quite complex, but i played the whole love and tin on my android phone last night, and im excited to finally see it playable on the platform.

The optimization for version 7 is going great too. Im really cleaning up the code and simplifying the component parts. BrightRidge and Vandgels are moving towards being as procedural as possible. I swear i can "feel" it, because the code is really all an extension of me, it comes from my mind and i "keep" it all loaded there. Its funny because before i run the code, i run it i my head.

In the future, kids will be so connected to computers that they will just look and think and make. Quite frightening and exciting all at once, depending on how it will be approached.

13. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
  14. ikaslika

ikaslika Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    this is game with amazing graphics,congrats!

15. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks ikaslika:) That's a real boost to hear. Sometimes im not sure if what ive created is any good. When i hear that it reaches someone and that they get some enjoyment from it, it basically makes my day. Thanks for taking the time to try it out, and if you have any feedback on the Android version, please let me know:)

16. Jakeopp

Jakeopp Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Finally got around to giving this a try, enjoyed what I played of it. Although I had to drop the graphics settings extremely low on my iPad Air 2 to the point where it looked terrible in order for it to run smoothly. Might have to just save this one for a future iPad.

17. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks for trying it Jakeopp:) Yes, it will definitely run better on future devices - im trying to get my hands on more of them, so that i can individually set the quality settings per device. The next update does save some of your quality settings .im doing it bit by bit because it's probably the number one request, but its very tricky to do it without getting users stuck in a too-high-quality-saved/crash on reopen loop. For the quality, I'm increasingly glad i put them in. Device speeds aside, some people prefer more visuals, while for others a stable frame rate is important. This way we can at least make the best with what there is. The game saves progress automatically for each adventure, so you can put it down and pick it up anytime - its that kind of drop-in behaviour i was hoping for - i little world in your pocket that you can visit whenever the desire strikes:)

18. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #1658 Nullzone, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Huh? Then something's not right. Runs perfectly ok with default settings on my Air1, and I can crank it up a bit higher even and still have ~25 fps in most places. And others commented that they can use better than default on the Air2.

So, let's see (*puts techie hat on*):
    Welcome to Brightridge Technical Support, you are number #347 in line, your estimated waiting time is until the next Terrapin comes down. While you are waiting, could you answer some questions so we can assist you better? ;)
    1) Which iOS version do you run?
    2) Jailbroken yes/no?
    3) Anything else running at the same time?
    4) Can you try after a device restart?
    5) With default settings, around the starting spot and/or inn: what's your fps?
    6) Can you crank everything up to max, except the resolution (leave that at default)? Does it crash then or still run? If it runs, at how many fps?
    7) Extra test, more effort, so please treat it as optional: Play that story chapter where Giska (the girl) fights that giant flying robot snake. When the snake crashes down, try to ride it downwards or stick as close as possible. How many fps there? On my Air1, they dropped into the low single digits in that scene.
    8) Optional: Get one of those free system monitors, check how much RAM you have free/used after a reboot and after starting NLBR.
    9) Almost forgot: the "had to drop the settings" thing: do you mean in general, or only for specific areas and/or story scenes?

19. Jakeopp

Jakeopp Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2012
    #1659 Jakeopp, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    1) Whatever the latest release is
    2) Not jailbroken
    3) All apps closed
    4) Not a big difference, freed up a little ram
    5) At the default settings it seemed alright but it stuttered occasionally
    6) Maxing absolutely everything and leaving resoulution at the default makes the game unplayable but it does not crash
    7) Just downloaded the game so no idea where i'd find that lol
    8) RAM sits at 500-800 MB free
    9) I only played through the first 15 minutes or so

20. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks for the tech support Nullzone:)

And thanks Jakeopp for the technical feedback.

BrightRidge is a pretty cpu intensive game, but im always optimizing it (im doing some right now:) and i hope as i move the game to a more procedurally based structure that we'll be able to get a bit more performance out of it. I also listen to all feedback, positive and negative, and use it to track down problem spots, so I appreciate that:)

My Air 2 is pretty smooth like Nullzones, but i think it's pretty subjective - what might feel like solid performance to me might not to another. I loved The Last Guardian for the story and didnt notice any of the frame drops everyone was talking about. Then i showed my friend the game and when we stepped out into the big open space he really noticed the frame drop.

Right now im working on a big optimization. Basically im rebuilding the main adventure using the newer code i used for the latest adventure. Once its done ill be able to erase the old code (right now the game is switching dynamically between new and old code and it's not performance friendly) and optimize the new one, which uses an atomic object oriented structure, which is a lot more solid and easy to trouble shoot.

I do updated every few months, depending on the size of it, so i hope you'll stay tuned and try the update when it comes out. There will be a couple of dozen other fixes and features in the next update as well. And thanks again for taking a chance on the game:)