Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Omega-F, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I'm so glad that Luigi's Mansion 2 is getting such great reviews. Really liked the Gamecube version.

2. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Wow... Didn't notice this post until just now... Ninja'd!

3. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Picked up Luigi's Mansion today, and I'm really enjoying it so far. Played for almost three hours, and still haven't finished the first mansion. The controls are great, despite my concerns about them, and it's very fun, polished, and well put together. Graphics are pretty nice looking- looks great with the 3D on, which feels very well suited for it, it has some rather detailed environments, and also has some very nice animations. Really like the music- nice that it is mostly orchestrated.

The only thing I had mixed feelings about, is the mission structure. The first game was just an open mansion for you to explore (Arkham Asylum/Zelda style), but in this game, you go on missions with a main goal, and come back after you've completed it. It doesn't prevent exploration though- you're still able to explore. Time, health lost, ghosts captured, and money found are all tracked to determine your score (gold, silver, or bronze), which lends itself to replayability, especially with hidden collectibles in each mission (and some that can only be acquired by replaying with new tools from later in the game). The mission based structure kind of makes sense considering it is a handheld game. I'he pretty much gotten used to it, but at first it was kind of weird.

Have yet to try the multiplayer. You can't play it right from the start- you have to beat the first few missions and then it unlocks.

I wish there were more 3DS games like this. It's a must buy!

4. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    Sadly I will have to wait for Luigi's Mansion. All of the Targets close to me are out of them. Hopefully I can get it soon. It looks awesome

5. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Recently played through both Castlevania: Mirror of Fate and Luigi's Mansion 2. Castlevania was decent, if a little repetitive but Luigi's Mansion 2 is unreal!!!

6. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Interested in Castlevania. Waiting for the price to drop a bit first though. Supposedly it only lasts about 6-12 hours (depends on how good you are), and you can 100% it just playing through without much effort. Dying also doesn't matter, because you just respawn at a check point, rather than having to restart the whole level/from your last save, making it stupidly easy.

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I think that's a good initiative, but I would like a new Zelda game much more.

8. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Walmart put up preorder pages online for anew 3d Mario and new Mario kart and a "Zelda 2 rpg" for wii u. Does that satisfy you?

9. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Nintendo have already confirmed that there is a new Zelda in the works for both the Wii U and 3DS. If Majora's Mask 3D turns out to be legit then, like Wind Waker HD, it'll be a means of tiding people over until the new ones arrive (which could be a while given the usual lengthy development periods that accompany a new Zelda title).

Whilst its not confirmed, it does seem very plausible. For one, Nintendo themselves have already spoken about the possibility of a MM remake, then add to that the product listing appearing the day before a 3DS focused Nintendo Direct. Also, what exactly have Grezzo been upto since they did the OOT remake? I know people moan about remakes and re-releases, but I'd snap up a MM remake in a heartbeat!

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    No WiiU here (yet), but if a new Zelda is in the works for 3DS all is good! :)

11. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Wow what a fantastic Nintendo Direct! I'm so excited for the new legend of zelda game coming out! Link to the Past was probably my favorite Zelda title ever. Holiday 2013 cant come soon enough!

12. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I need a smoke right now after that.

13. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Happy they announced a new Zelda, but that art-style is absolutely terrible. Couldn't care less about all the Mario crap.

14. Nintendo is really milking the Mario franchise. I'd normally be interested in games like the new Mario and Luigi RPG and Yoshi's Island, but the sheer number of Mario games that has been released recently makes me completely indifferent. Besides, we all know that the best announcement today was this:
    [​IMG]

15. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    I'd rather this art then Skyward Sword, Wind Waker, and the other DS games. I think it looks nice

16. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Curious as to why you think it's 'terrible'? Given that its essentially a sequel to A Link to the Past, it would've been sacrilege to have abandoned that art style. The only difference is that the models are now 3D instead of sprites. Personally, I think it looks great.

The guys at IGN were lucky enough to go hands on with it and they reported that its awesome! Can't wait personally.

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The artwork looks great to me too. I'm pretty excited for it. So glad we are getting a new game, not just an update of the original.

18. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Not really... Art style definitely is not the same as LttP (which I thought looked great BTW). This is too bland, generic, and light. LttP had a kind of darker, earthier style than this does.

LttP:
    [​IMG]

LttP2:
    [​IMG]

I wrote the above earlier- since then, I saw a gameplay video from Kotaku, and what was shown in their video looked better than what was shown by Nintendo.