Nintendo and Apple?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TheSeldomSeenKid, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Onslaught

Onslaught Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I'd frankly rather buy my child a Ipod touch instead of a DS. 1,000s of more games on the app store that are so much cheaper than DS games. Can get like 10 iphone games for the price of one DS game. And besides most kids get bored of games after a week and want a new one.

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    The OP is a... no, not gonna say it. Be tolerant, Kamazar, it is a new year after all.

3. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    My niece and nephew both got iPod Touches this Christmas. They already had DS lites from a few years back, but they greatly prefer the games availible in the iPhone / iPod touch. Time management, tower defense, racing, etc. They also have commented how much better the graphics are, and the sound, and like that most games have audio dialog and speech, maybe video intros etc. I guess Nintendo can't do this because of cartridge space.

I'll be interested to observe how the iPod Touches last, or not. Thier DS' have a few cracks, and the directional pads are worn and one doest go left properly. The lack of a physical control to where out is a plus for the iPod, but hopefully their cases protect the screen enough and how durable is the dock connector when not handled by adults? Time will tell.

4. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    We will most likely see a nintendo phone before they ever release those copyrights.

5. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I doubt Nintendo will ever go down that direction just as much as them releasing wares for other systems. Mainly because they above all else realise the importance and indeed strength of designing a system specifically around just one aspect. Convergence isn't always (or indeed the best) answer.

To design a phone into it would mean they need to compromise, whether it be functionality (control options) or portability (ergonomics, size). Nintendo likes to design systems around games first, then offer other services that can come from that.

The only 'phone' part Nintendo is likely to take for their next handheld is 3G technology, as Iwata has noted a liking of the 'always connected' kindle service.

6. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

That's what I've been saying to people!

7. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Thank you. To be more specific about what I was saying, they will not release their copyrights.

8. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    A what Kamazar?

lol, I also had a hard time not saying a certain word to the OP...

9. DannyV

DannyV Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Graphic Designer
    Maybe, but what person over the age of 25 wants to play a DS or PSP out in public, hence why there's an iPod Touch out there for the rest of us.

10. Zurvivor

Zurvivor Member

Nov 23, 2009
    obviously has to do with Copyright

11. Dylan1696

Dylan1696 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Photographer/Graphic Designer/Electronics engineer
    Debbie did it here in '78
    No, but my 2 year old has an ipod touch and loves it :)

12. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Actually, it's the other way around.

13. jen12323

jen12323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Amen to that. I would not play my DS in public. lmao.

14. zamansimba

zamansimba Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Playing ipod in public? With its absymal battery life?

15. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    People kiss and sneeze, but don't play games in public.

Westerns...

16. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    More than you'd think, consindering the install base is near 120 million and adults make up a large part of that number. Then again, why are you talking about playing in public for? Western users of a majority have never made a habit of that, namely because our culture hasn't been cultivated towards such a practice. For western users the benefits of a handheld is so you can play at your comfort anywhere you are in the house, as you're not tied down to the television.

The only region where public playing is commonplace, is in Japan. Any train you get on, any store you visit, there will be a bunch of people playing either a DS (for Dragon Quest IX, amongst other titles) or PSP (for Monster Hunter). When you see store owners opening up a special section just so Dragon Quest IX users can congregate and swap stuff (and then you see passerbys of such stores quickly getting out their DS so they can get a swap, as they continue to quickly rush off to work), then it really hits you of the difference between how they interact with games and how we do.

The reason for that though is that the general populace of Japan has always welcomed videogames, so naturally they are more inclined to participate in videogames, even in public. Co-operative (friendly) play as opposed to competitive is also preferred, whether that's matching up to take down a beast, or swap items / info. So yet another reason why people in Japan like to congregate to play. That, and playing together in person has never left them like it has with us (which is why online gaming isn't big there). Add all that to a country where the ratio of people to land is huge and it isn't surprising to see public playing there as a typical (even expected of) thing.

All of that, and we as a majority (in the West) are nowhere near that. Hell, it is only in recent years that most only just barely accepted videogames as an acceptable activity. Barely. Most have only just accepted that playing videogames in their own living room with family members (Guitar Hero, the Wii) is ok to do (and not something to be shamed of). The act of playing in public for the majority of people (and having others around also playing) is still someway off.

17. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    i agree with sage. at least in my own experience video game were evil. if you played them you were a loser etc. funny how the young mind can be warped into believing such BS. anyhow glad to see things are changing. even tho do not get me wrong i played games as a kid. just hid them from my mom etc.

after super nes i had to get on with life. im 35 now and found the idevice. im trying hard to catch up on all them lost years. i do know one ting. all these basic side scrolling games appeal to me because that's what i grew up with.

here is to a great 2010.
    chris.

18. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Be free,
    go out and play your games.

No matter if you 8, 14, 18, 25, 34 or 50.

Do what you want. Enjoy the life.

19. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Apple originally announced a partnership with Nintendo years ago to have their games published on iphones (too lazy to link it). This was before apps came out but I guess it didn't out so well. Nintendo probably saw the potential of the App store and looked at Apple as a big threat with competing for the mainstream gamers pockets

20. Bdragonst

Bdragonst Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Student
    Japan -> S.Korea -> USA
    yeah,

Nintendo make their own games for their own consoles since their beginning