Nintendo Announces The 2DS

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Gryphon, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

People who are not the target audience of this product mad that Nintendo made a product that isn't for them.

2. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    The thing is, it's primarily for children (well that's what they said). First, the parents worrying about the 7+ rating on the box, which Nintendo was basically forced to do so that they wouldn't have lawsuits for children's eyes being ruined (and who knows if that would actually happen). Second, having no hinges is great for younger kids. My cousin when he was younger broke the hinge on his limited edition Zelda DS (RIP) pretty soon after getting it because he was so little and clumsy that he'd drop it a lot. Third, the lower cost will make parents a lot more willing to buy it for their kids. Fourth, at least from what I've heard from different websites, the 2DS is a lot more sturdy and better built, which is great for kids who may drop their device a lot.

Another thing is, a lot of kids can't even fit the regular 3DS in their pocket so it shouldn't be that much worse for the portability factor because they usually had to carry it around with them in their hands or a bag anyway, I know I did when I was little.

The lack of 3D really doesn't bother me much at all. When I play a game on my 3DS, I usually spend the first maybe 15 minutes with the 3D on, just so I can see how good it looks then it goes off for the majority of the time.

For me, I have the regular 3DS at the moment, so I'm not planning to down grade (at least right now, a PS4/Xbone/PS Vita is much more interesting to me for now), but if I didn't, I wouldn't worry about the portability since I'm a teenage boy who wears basketball shorts most of the time with huge pockets that I can even fit my iPad Mini in, with extra room in my pockets too lol.

3. Wait wait wait wait wait...you're expecting logic...on the internet?

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Well duh. People like games, want to experience games, invest time and money into games... Nintendo aren't doing anything that enables them to play games. They used to, then they stopped. They have the power to appeal to audiences beyond poor parents and their sticky fingered children, but they don't.

5. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I get what you're saying, and I personally prefer capacitive since you don't t have to press down on it (I feel like I'm scratching the screen with resistive), but resistive is a LOT more precise. Resistive touchscreens can also usually detect pressure, which capacitive touchscreens are unable to do.

6. Midian, how much of an understanding do you have of the entire gaming industry? Not just our hardcore section, but the entirety of it?

The "poor parent" and "sticky-fingered children" audience may not be your audience, but it is a giant one. Nintendo might not appealing to your standards, but they are fulfilling the standards of a larger audience. You need to learn that before claiming that every Nintendo reveal is a stupid waste of time

And also, I don't now what you constitute for playing games, but I thought it was putting a game disc into a console, turning it on, selecting that game and then using the controller to interact with the screen, which is exactly what Nintendo does

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

You grew up with Nintendo. Nintendo did not grow up with you. Accept it, deal with it, and if you've outgrown the products they release, move on.

8. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

9. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Seems like real wasted potential to me then, they could have made thing's like browsing a lot easier with one big screen, would have basically made it a potential tablet.

10. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Yeah, but that would be an upgrade. This is a downgrade, so that people can buy it cheaper.

11. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    #31 klink, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    Would you buy this system? I certainly wouldn't.

The industry has also grown up and Nintendo hasn't grown up with it. This is evident by their shrinking market share and slumping profits.

You guys are picking on MidianGTX but really Nintendo is the one who is trouble here. Both the 3DS and the Wii-U are endangered of selling less than their predecessor. Nintendo posted its first-ever annual loss as a public company last year.

I like Nintendo and I really hope they succeed. But they need to offer something that I want to buy.

12. Ok then, was hoping to put in some Terraria or Junk Jack, but I'll play ball

You say that Nintendo hasn't grown up in the industry...that's because they do not want to grow up. They don't want to be attatched to the image that Playstation's and Xbox's have, they want to have their own bright, vibrant image which can stand out. It's not the gritty, hardcore one, but the childish image which attracts a much larger audience

Nintendo may have slumping profits, but I can tell you that Sony and Microsoft will likely see something much akin to that within the PS4's and Xbox One's first year on market. It happens a lot of the time when someone releases a brand new console. Do I need to remind you about the PS3's first year at market (which the Wii U is beating by the way)? Did it look like it would sell the 75-million it has sold today? How do we know that Nintendo can't repeat that anytime soon? They have a decreased admission price to the Wii U, they have the limited edition Wind Waker HD bundle, they have a wide assortment of games coming out by this holiday system PLUS Mario Kart and Smash Bros. 4 next year. And to add to that, if Nintendo is losing market share, then explain how the 3DS has been the highest-selling gaming console in America for the last 3 months?

I think we can all admit that the 3DS and Wii U are likely not going to reach the same sale numbers that DS and Wii, but that's because they sold 154 million and 100 million respectively. It doesn't matter what way you see this through the looking glass, we can all clearly see that as a likelihood

Nintendo may have posted their first-ever annual loss last year, but allow me to draw a number of factors out of that. First of all, there was pretty much no Nintendo Wii support and the Wii U was launched at the very end of the year. Secondly, both Sony and Microsoft have reported annual loses. Has that affected their developing consoles? Thirdly, Nintendo has enough money to have annual loses without so much of a worry. Finally, that was last year buddy. A lot can change in a year. This year, there is Animal Crossing, there is Pokemon X & Y, there is a wide assortment of Wii U exclusive titles, there is a lot that Nintendo has working in their favour. All because something happened one year, it does not mean it will happen the next. Not one thing in our universe is 100% certain.

Finally, if you don't want to get a 2DS, then alright. I don't care what you spend your money on. I don't want to get this for an assortment of reason, however as I have stated beforehand in this thread, there is a big audience that will.

I think I shall just leave some pointers here in case of lack of logic
    •This system is not intended for hardcore gamers like us, this is intended for younger kids who can't get a 3DS due to the age minimum on it
    •The hardcore audience, despite the online presence, is a small factor of the gaming industry. The casual audience and the younger audience is the largest part of the gaming market, which is the audience Nintendo is aiming for
    •No matter how much you bitch about Nintendo being in your made-up doom, they are in the best financial state of the console developers and they will not dissapear any time soon
    •Mothers are going to see this as a $130 Pokemon-playing console, and they will deem it a perfectly good gift for their children

Now, can we please stop this flame-war before we start getting time-outs being dished out?

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #33 MidianGTX, Aug 29, 2013
    Honestly? Likely more than you. I know exactly what the audience is, and it's depressing. Don't mistake my being annoyed at Ninty's situation as ignorance. One of the major problems here is that not even Nintendo knows what it wants to be. They keep making attempts to dip their fingers into both pies (Resident Evil, Zombie U) and then failing horribly at the hardcore market... pie. They're managing to hold just enough stock in both parties to piss people off, and by people I mean game developers too. They apparently anti-evolution (Miyamoto's Zelda comments) but then make these giant, ridiculous steps to innovate with their hardware. It's a company in conflict with itself and no clear goal and that's what pushes customers and publishers away. If I was alone in this maybe it'd be easier to argue with, but I'm not. A lot of the gaming media don't know what stupid tricks Nintendo are trying to pull any more, and they're losing interest too, though the stories do still generate page hits, I'll give them that.

P.S. Discussions in which two parties disagree with each other aren't flame wars, not until it gets personal.

14. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I'm not trying to flame anyone and I totally respect your guys opinions. If I didn't I wouldn't bother to read them or post replies. I think we're having an honest discussion about a new system backed up with facts as well as personal opinions.

I agree what you're saying about Nintendo peers including Sony and Microsoft. The problem is that they are now competing against Apple and Android. Whenever, I'm out I see kids playing on iPod touches, or a cell phone. So Nintendo's share of the pie might get bigger or smaller but the whole pie is shrinking.

Since I'm not purchasing one (shocker), I won't post anything else in this thread. In the end we'll let the market decide the winner of this discussion. :)

15. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Nintendo will rebound. I just proved it through a series of simulations in Game Dev Story.

16. tronner

tronner Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    nintendo is not dumb

Man, nintendo is not dumb, there is a market for this, and ill buy one for my gf and make her farm some shiny pokemons, help me on mh with a hh, and 100 other games ;o i just feel dumb for buying the wii u too early when i could got for 300 a blundle way better

17. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

What I think Nintendo should have done is release (announce) two 2DS models: one slightly cheaper model without the hinge (The current 2DS) and one slightly more expensive model with a clamshell design (higher price due to the cost of two displays vs the one in the current 2DS).

That way everyone would be happy and all the problems people are having with it would be solved.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

There is a 2DS with a hinge it's called the 3DS with the 3D slider turned down.

19. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

#39 Der-Kleine, Aug 29, 2013
    Did I miss the part where the 3DS with the 3D slider turned down is cheaper than a 3DS? Because the whole point of a 2DS with the clamshell design would be to have a sligthly cheaper 3DS (Which I'm sure people wouldn't mind).

In other words: A 2DS designed for teens/adults who want to save a little bit of money on buying a 3DS because they really don't care about the 3D.

20. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I'll be completely honest- at first I was all like 'what?' and I thought it looked odd, but I'm kind of thinking about getting one as a secondary system to my XL (for Pokemon transfers/trading and/or if a friend wanted to play Mario Kart/etc (download play) with me, but didn't have a 3DS. It also kind of reminds me of the GameBoy line, which I miss.