Nintendo Announces The 2DS

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Gryphon, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I think what you're describing is a pre-owned 3DS for $160.

2. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    But then you have 2 3DSs and 2 2DSs. The name '2DS' will already confuse your average parent. Having the 2DS, 2DS Clamshell, 3DS, and 3DS XL will confuse them even more.

3. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I think what I'm describing is what most (vocal) people (on the internet) wanted the 2DS to be.
    160$ for a pre-owned one isn't enough of a difference to the price of a new 3DS for it to really be worth getting one used.
    If there was a 140$ 2DS with a clamshell design I'd almost be tempted to get one if I wasn't already saving up for an iPod Touch 6 and already happy with my Vita.

4. #45 Haruhi, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    ...That's not a 3DS game.

I'm not even that bothered about the lack of a clamshell on the 2DS anymore. That toast shape just looks really weird and unappealing to me.

5. tronner

tronner Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    confusion

And you have to think that we gamers know the diference betwen a 3ds/2ds/3dsxl/ds/dsxl can u imagine a kid that knows nothing about games asking the father that knows nothing about games to bored people on stores that knows nothing about games about a 2ds? i bet they will go home with a dsxl with 3ds games

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The most hardcore thing about Nintendo is their hardware naming policy.

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    When it hits $99, I will get one. That could be a good condition used one, or a Black Friday deal. I don't mind the tablet style, and it definitely looks like it will be more comfortable to hold - no need for a "grip" which less convenient and more cumbersome anyway. I do kind of wish it had the larger XL screen, but then the internets would really blow up wouldn't they? LOL.

8. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Nintendo disabled comments on their video.

I read some of the comments before they disabled them and there was a lot of unneeded hate. It's not like anyone was forcing them to buy it.

It had over 13000 dislikes. Geez

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

...No.

10. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #51 nightc1, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    Late to the party but I wanted to chime in. As a father of 3 boys (9, 11 & 13) I have encountered my fair share of hinge issues with ds systems through the years. First it was the ds fat which despite the hinge plastic breaking, the rest of it still holds together ok. Then there was the white ds lite, we have two of them, both had hinge cracks within a couple years and one of them was the one I played (which I'm mega careful with this stuff). Then there was a red&black DS lite where the hinge messed up and pinched the video cable to the top screen which caused occasional color errors and now one of the 3ds's has a hinge that has an odd sound when the system is opened and closed.

I know it negates putting it in the pocket, but I'm all for a hinge-less 3DS, and downgrading to 2D means absolutely nothing to me or my kids who have rarely ever used the 3d. It, like 3d movies and tv's are a nice gimmick, but in the end I find it a waste of money.

And don't get me started on shoulder button issues. We've had so many of those it's ridiculous. The 2DS seems to give some nice beefy shoulder buttons. A major plus in my book.

But not just for my kids, I see this as the perfect version of the 3DS for me. It's akin to an ipad for ds/3ds games. It's over-sized with that wedge shape and table top design but seems like it would be perfect for gaming around the house. I don't game and drive so I don't care that it wouldn't fit in my pocket. Similarly I wouldn't use an ipad while driving either. The controls look way more comfortable than holding at the bottom and having so much weight up top. I think it looks odd but also I could see loving the design.

In many ways this reminds me of the iPad and how silly and awkward looking people thought it was... or better than that the iPad mini and the backlash it got. I mean it's several generations old hardware in a smaller form factor. Yet person after person (including TA writers and cfo's) come around saying it's their preferred ios platform for gaming and stuff.

But no device is a one size fits all. The 2DS will have it's market just like the 3DS, iPad Mini, iPodTouch, iPod Shuffle, regular sized iPad, and so on. In the end the 2DS will probably outsell the PS4 & XBone and the next iPhone will outsell them all. Nintendo isn't any more doomed than Apple... and this 2DS has more of a market than I think most people will realize. I can tell you for certain this is more appealing to my aging parents than the 3DS was and they both have ds's and play them. Still even they have a system (red super mario ds lite system) with a broken hinge.

11. Meslomeslo

Meslomeslo Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2013
    This look really stupid.

12. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks nightc1 for your insight! You've piqued my interest in getting the 2DS. I've never owned any Nintendo hardware and this looks cool to me.

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    [​IMG]

14. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Some of the best ios games are ports from the DS. There are so many more that haven't and probably never will be brought over. 2ds seems like the ultimate platform for someone that never had a DS and is curious about the 3ds software but doesn't care about stuffing it in a pocket. That's how I feel anyway. I had pretty much written off this gen of handhelds but I'm actually getting very interested in this.

15. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    I have an original pong machine if that means anything:)

16. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    It does look interesting and the soon incoming reviews will shed a bit more light on it. The good and the bad...hopefully more good!

17. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    Every body should do themselves a favor and get some sort of 3DS, whether its the 2DS or a 3DS/XL. It's my most played system by far.

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Gimme a list of worthwhile games. All I know of are Kid Icarus, OoT, Pokemon, Animal Crossing and Monster Hunter. Not quite enough to warrant a whole console in that lot.

19. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Well, from the games I have that you didn't mention, I would personally put forward:
    • Resident Evil: Revelations
    • Super Mario 3D Land
    • Luigi's Mansion 2
    • Mario Kart 7
    • Paper Mario: Sticker Star
    • Donkey Kong Country Returns
    • Mario and Luigi: Dream Team
    • Star Fox 64 3D
    • Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate (I know some people ragged on Castlevania but I loved it).
    Then there's the digital stuff on the eShop of which there is some great stuff.

Honestly, if you like a little more meat on your portable games (as in non iOS) then I genuinely believe that the 3DS is the best way to go, and that's before factoring in the upcoming titles.